Getting weird symbols when playing Shin Megami Tensei on R4DS

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by nintendoman562, Jul 1, 2009.

1. nintendoman562
    OP

Newcomer nintendoman562 Member

Canada
    I've been play Shin Megami Tensei for a couple days now and I'm loving it. It's been working perfectly until today. Whenever I go to the folder that has the game in it, my R4DS freezes. This does not happen in any of my other DS games. So I put my SD card in my computer to see what was in this folder and this is what I got.
    [​IMG]
    I tried accessing the folders but it doesn't let me. Can someone tell me whats wrong and how to fix it?

2. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Your microSD is corrupted. Backup any data you can and reformat.
    I don't think there's any way to recover corrupted files but you might want to wait for someone else to confirm/contradict this.

3. nintendoman562
    OP

Canada
    Really? Damn, I was really far in the game and I don't want to start over again [​IMG]. I've already moved all my files except for Shin Megami Tensei to my computer. So I'll wait for more confirmation before reformatting.

4. mcboom

Member mcboom GBAtemp Regular

Philippines
    I have the same problem but it wont even let me format here are what the files look like

[​IMG]

i haven't backed up my ds in a year so if there is any way to fix this please tell me!!

5. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Give checkdisk a shot (right click the drive, properties, tools, check now, automatically fix errors). A crappy microSD reader screwed up my card and every .nds file I'd put on (along with about 5 saves) vanished apart from about 20 of them. After running checkdisk I ended up with a hidden folder on the root where it had put all the files it had found with names like FILE0234.000 and when I renamed them all to NDS, there were my missing games (I could tell which they were cos I have the game icons displaying in Windows)

6. Akiyo

Member Akiyo GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    But really, i think thats corruption more than anything. have you tried the panasonicSD formatter?

7. mcboom

Philippines
    when i used winrar to arhcive the files some missing folders came back unfortunately no game folder [​IMG]

8. mcboom

Philippines
    Thank you it worked but i have more than 100 saves is there a way to find out which is which?

9. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I have no idea I'm afraid, I only lost a few saves and I had back ups of them so I just replaced them. Maybe there's a save editor that displays the name of the game the save is from? Although I don't know if there's any kind of uniform format for an NDS save.

10. nintendoman562
    OP

Canada
    I just tried this and I ended up with a 4KB file. That's far too small to be an NDS or save file. What is it?

11. mcboom

Philippines
    I also have some that are like that could they be parts of the corrupted files that was saved?

12. nintendoman562
    OP

Canada
    I still need help. What is this file that came up after i checked disk?

13. Zerousen

Member Zerousen 【=◈︿◈=】

United States
    my sister has a whole file chock full of weird files with symbols like those. they cant be deleted for some reason and its taking up alot of room. could it be some kinda virus got into our micros? try virus scanning it

14. Raven Darkheart

Member Raven Darkheart The Radioactive Flamer

United States
    again you try too hard to be helpful, its no virus dummy. just reformat as the others said or better yet get a new sd reader