Hacking Getting up to date, the correct way?

tufkal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all, I am a happy softmod user and have been for close to a year now, but I have found myself desperately wanting to update to 4.X to get the WiiWare from SD option.

Currently I have / have run the following:
-System 3.3U
-Bannerbomb w/ HackMii Installer
-HBC 1.0.6
-DVDX
-No BootMii (I have read-only boot1 crap so no boot2 install possible)
-Wani cIOS rev13a
-USB Loader GX w/ 80GB USB Hard Drive

After spending about 5 hours on these forums and reading on new tools and new updates, I have determined the best way to do what i want is this:
-Start with 3.3U
-From HBC run the Wani cIOS Uninstaller 1.1
-Run Bannerbomb/Hackmii and uninstall HBC and DVDX
-Backup and use a clean SD card
*Factory clean at this point, right?*
-Use regular System Menu update in Wii Settings, and update everything to current
-Re-Bannerbomb w/ Hackmii
-Reinstall HBC
-Reinstall DVDX
-Install trucha bug with DOP-Mii (*didnt have to do this before, because 3.3U had trucha bug present ?? i think ??*)
-Reinstall Wani cIOS rev13a (*are any of the newer ones better but stable? i keep seeing the newer ones are trouble. I have had 0 problems with 13a and USBLGX*)
-Repopulated my SD card with the proper apps and configs and box art etc etc etc

The lines with *asterisks* have info im not 100% sure on.

Would love a look over this with a thumbs up thumbs down, suggestions on a better/different way, or corrections, before I take my Wii that has been working so well for so long, and dive back into it's IOS~

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Follow xzxeros guide at the top of the forum to update to 4.2 and then modify 4.2

That will be the easiest and fastest way to get it done.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Your idea seems like the long way around, tufkal.

Going through the regular 4.2 update will wipe out your homebrew, so it's kinda pointless to uninstall it before anything. Cleaning the SD-card is also not needed.

I have to agree with icpmattj: xzeros's guide isn't stickied without reason. You can follow it, no matter what homebrew or firmware version you currently have.
smile.gif

That guide'll update you to 4.2 but makes sure the trucha bug is still there, as well as the HBC, cIOS 249 and any homebrew on your SD-card.

I would also suggest installing bootmii as IOS and priiloader. It may not be as brick-proof as a boot2 bootmii, but a backup still has at least a fair chance of being recoverable.
smile.gif

Waninkoko's rev17 is currently the "most stable one" (it's actually a bit more complicated than that...but for everyday use, this should be at least as good as 13a). Then again, it all depends on what you're going to do with it. If it worded fine, it should still work fine.
smile.gif

tufkal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Took both of your advices and used the update.zip from the stickied post by xzero.

Everything looks good, was simple enough to install 25 wads and be done.

I just hate installing wads other than HBC, but I guess these are all Nintendo wads i was installing, so no possible harm. *right?*

tufkal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, it looks like I missed a step, as I cant run VC/WiiWare from the SD card. IOS60Patched.wad keeps coming up in my research, but since I have 4.2 don't i use IOS70 for the menu?

Basically, how can I run WiiWare .wads from SD menu on 4.2?

-EDIT- Nevermind, I found the patched IOS70 wad in xzero's modify.zip and that took care of it.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol