Hardware Getting tired of the ridiculous Switch pricing

SonicRings

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm a Canadian and have been eager to buy a switch once the price drops, but it's been sitting at $400 forever. I recall the prices even going up to $500 on black friday so that they can give a "$100 discount" to bring the price back down to $400.

Any advice on picking up a regular model Switch? I just saw the pricing of the Switch Mini on amazon at $260 and would absolutely buy a regular switch at that price. I checked Nintendo's refurb section of their store but they're asking $350, which is a mere $50 discount. Kijiji is littered with people selling "BNIB" consoles for $380+ (why don't you just return it to the store if it's BNIB... are they stolen or something?) or bundles for well over $450 with a game or two.

I'd literally only play Smash online, docked, if I get a switch so I don't even care if it's hackable.

EDIT: I met a guy from Kijiji selling their "BNIB Switch" for $310, tested the Switch and all the cables/dock/accessories it came with, everything looked good and indeed "brand new." Ended up paying $220 CAD. So excited to finally own a Switch, and at almost half price, plus no tax! (It's $452 brand new with tax for comparison.)

Last edited by SonicRings,

SonicRings

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Save up, treat yourself.

Or buy/swap for one one second hand.
I'd honestly consider spending $350+ a waste regardless of whether or not I can afford it. I'd have to spend money for online (which I'll never fully pay off) as well as a good $100 for each new controller I get, along with perhaps $125 for smash ultimate and all the DLC.

As for buying used, like I said, there aren't many good deals on used ones on kijiji.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I'm a Canadian and have been eager to buy a switch once the price drops, but it's been sitting at $400 forever. I recall the prices even going up to $500 on black friday so that they can give a "$100 discount" to bring the price back down to $400.

Any advice on picking up a regular model Switch? I just saw the pricing of the Switch Mini on amazon at $260 and would absolutely buy a regular switch at that price. I checked Nintendo's refurb section of their store but they're asking $350, which is a mere $50 discount. Kijiji is littered with people selling "BNIB" consoles for $380+ (why don't you just return it to the store if it's BNIB... are they stolen or something?) or bundles for well over $450 with a game or two.

I'd literally only play Smash online, docked, if I get a switch so I don't even care if it's hackable.
I'm sure there are other games than Smash you would like. I don't think any one game is worth buying a console for.

SonicRings

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm sure there are other games than Smash you would like. I don't think any one game is worth buying a console for.
I remember when I got my Wii U, I also bought Smash, and played the crap out of it. Then a year or two later I bought Mario Kart 8 and played it like twice.

Granted my Wii U came bundled with Nintendoland and Mario 3D World, and I got a bunch of games from Club Nintendo as well, which made for many fun hours of party games with friends, but Smash was the only game I kept going back to, and still play to this day whenever my friends come over.

I guess my interest as a gamer has either diminished or the other games I'm interested in are also on PC, but I do believe I'd be more than satisfied with just Smash Ultimate if I were to get a Switch. It's only a matter of if they reduce the price.. Spending over $300 on a system which comes with an additional $300 in expenses is just unjustifiable for me.

Redhorse

Warehouse 13 Curator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A recent search of Gamestop online and they're listed at new USD $299. (used USD$269. pre-owned) and USD $200. for the lites, don't know where you're getting these inflated prices at...no/s Amazon is loaded with scalpers... I realize [regular browsers] you get localized advertisements, but using VPN browsers will get non localized ads if you search right. I would suspect Gamestop would ship up there... (I hate GS but sometimes they are the best availability to be had.)

I live on the South west right now. but when I lived in Fl (US) I saw lots of people selling stolen game units to Gamestop. ( I knew the owned and one guy readily admitted it!, w/out the who there's no nailing him.) They finally instituted a Pawnshop law requiring a DL for ID and they [GS] have to report to local police just as pawnshops do now, in most US states. GS didn't care either, as long as they were making $$$.

Oh and I would buy the console for just portable Skyrim & or Diablo 3 alone, even tho it's old and no mods. Heck, I originally got it just for Wargroove.

SonicRings

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A recent search of Gamestop online and they're listed at new USD $299. (used USD$269. pre-owned) and USD $200. for the lites, don't know where you're getting these inflated prices at...
Literally the first thing I said was that I'm Canadian.

no/s Amazon is loaded with scalpers... I realize [regular browsers] you get localized advertisements, but using VPN browsers will get non localized ads if you search right. I would suspect Gamestop would ship up there... (I hate GS but sometimes they are the best availability to be had.)
Sadly using a VPN won't let me pay in local currency still so I'd be spending $300 USD which is $400 CAD anyway lol

This is actually the best way at the moment to get a hackable Switch!
Like I said I don't care to get a hackable switch, I just don't want to spend over $300 on one.

Reactions: linuxares

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

$400 Canadian is roughly $300 USD. So no, you aren't going to see better prices.

If you aren't finding good used deals with that one app you are talking about, try another one. There are multitudes of apps for getting rid of old gear.

SonicRings

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
with a hack switch you can play switch games online on a private server
I want to be able to play with other people normally, not like.. a couple dozen people who are also on the same private server as me.

$400 Canadian is roughly $300 USD. So no, you aren't going to see better prices.

If you aren't finding good used deals with that one app you are talking about, try another one. There are multitudes of apps for getting rid of old gear.
It's not an app, it's a site. I checked ebay, same story there.

sansnumen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey @sonicrings, there's not much you can do about prices as they are pegged to the US dollar (you should see how much Aussies get hosed, it's not just Canadians). My advice is to buy a Switch during the holidays because you at least get a free game with purchase. Last year, at Target, there was a huge mountain of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Switch bundles on sale for $300 USD plus sales tax.

315 eur here for the basic model, that's 348$, 459 Canadian dollar. Go figure...

What does the Euro price come out to with VAT/GMT?

pcwizard7

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
on ebay i can get a brand new switch for $350-$400 AUD which is $315-$361 CAD. in stores their $460 AUD / $414 CAD

and there is a main third party server that is heavy populated and besides it probably has better performance than Nintendo servers anyways

Last edited by pcwizard7,

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No idea how much Canadian Dollars are worth but you could always import a Switch if it is worth the shipping costs ...

I got mine in Japan last year for about 250€ which was "okay" even though not that cheap compared to a PS4 which sells for 200€ XD

HaseebTehsin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Hi, I'm in Canada in Newfoundland and here some people are asking for $300 CAD, you can negotiate with them and get a pretty good console at a great price. You can look some up on facebook. I can help you find one if you like.

altorn

Trophies
Website
atlaswing.zxq.net
XP
Country
Canada
Hi, I'm in Canada in Newfoundland and here some people are asking for $300 CAD, you can negotiate with them and get a pretty good console at a great price. You can look some up on facebook. I can help you find one if you like.

+1 on Facebook.
Got a second switch for $300 CAD. a little bit dinged but hey, it's hackable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night