Getting tired of the ridiculous Switch pricing

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories & Hardware' started by sonicrings, Sep 5, 2019.

1. sonicrings
    OP

sonicrings GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 7, 2012
    Canada
    Johto
    I met the guy, tested the Switch and all the cables/dock/accessories it came with, everything looked good and indeed "brand new." Ended up paying $220 CAD. So excited to finally own a Switch, and at almost half price, plus no tax! (It's $452 brand new with tax for comparison.)

I then went to Wal Mart to get Smash Ultimate, but they were sold out. I'm surprised the Switch doesn't have anything pre-installed. Not even an activity log? lol

Think I'll just pick up a used copy of Smash Ultimate for $60 or less. $80 + tax (or $90) for a single game is quite a lot. I see many copies for $60 in good condition, I'll just get one of those and then figure out what I'll do with the online thing. Hopefully there are still people in the trading section who have slots open in their family subscriptions.

Literally the first thing I said was that I'm Canadian.

Last edited by sonicrings, Sep 6, 2019
    HaseebTehsin and MythicalData like this.
  2. rusty shackleford

rusty shackleford Member

Newcomer
    Dec 26, 2012
    United States
    I would message the sellers offers, especially if the ad is weeks old. I'm not Canadian, but VIPOutlet.com has them for under $300 USD. If they dont ship to Canada then maybe get the package forwarded to you by a 3rd party.

3. bootaholic

bootaholic Member

Newcomer
    Jul 1, 2019
    United States
    I buy broken and sell fixed consoles on eBay. My typical pricing for a great condition unit is $240. It's a really great way to pick up hackable consoles. I just purchased 11 hackable consoles a few weeks ago...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

4. sonicrings
    OP

Oct 7, 2012
    Canada
    Johto
    Wow, looks like I got a steal of a deal for paying $220 cad for a bnib new model then.

bootaholic likes this.
  5. HaseebTehsin

HaseebTehsin Member

Newcomer
    Aug 8, 2019
    Canada
    Yes you got an excellent deal, haven't seen a better one as of yet :grog:

sonicrings and bootaholic like this.
  6. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Bruh... cross the river and buy one in the USA.

7. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    AFAIK that's just kinda how pricing is in Canada. It's the same for basically all PC hardware. You probably won't get one new for the same price as you would in the US just because of the Canadian dollar. If you want a better price, go used.

8. YOUCANTSTOPME

YOUCANTSTOPME GBAtemp Regular

May 7, 2012
    Canada
    in yo mind
    A new Switch in the US is usd$300, and in Canada it's cad$400.

As I write this, usd$300 = cad$395.06. So it's basically the same price.

To be honest, I'm not sure what the complaint is; it's still a current console. It's not like it's priced higher than other consoles.

sarkwalvein likes this.
  9. Nerdtendo

Nerdtendo Your friendly neighborhood idiot

Sep 29, 2016
    United States
    I always forget inflation is crazy up in Canada. Come down here to the states. You may have to pay for healthcare but switches are only $300

10. sonicrings
    OP

Oct 7, 2012
    Canada
    Johto
    Well the complaint was sound given the fact that the Wii launched at like $250 or whatever (certainly under $300 iirc), and that was like 15 years ago and was a big commitment for my family to make. The fact that tech is cheaper in 2019 should mean the Switch should either cost the same or less. PS4 and Xbox Ones cost less and come with 1 TB of storage to boot, compared to the Switch's non-existent 32 GB storage.

As well, controllers back then were no more than $45. Now they're $100 for a set of Joycons or a Pro Controller. So the Switch not only costs more, but the peripherals do too, and unlike the Wii U, controllers aren't backward compatible (much to the chagrin of one of my friends who plays Smash with Wiimote + Nunchuk). It's just cost after cost, and that's not including the fact that you have to pay for the online which is somehow worse than any previous Nintendo console, given that you need a smartphone.

I don't think that would work, as coming down there would still require me to convert $400 CAD to $300 USD anyway.

11. YOUCANTSTOPME

May 7, 2012
    Canada
    in yo mind
    That's the price of being a gamer, unfortunately.

Treeko likes this.
  12. sonicrings
    OP

Oct 7, 2012
    Canada
    Johto
    Console gamer*

PC has no such costs, assuming of course you aren't building a PC solely for the purpose of gaming and nothing else. Games are MUCH cheaper, you can use controllers you already own from literally every console, online is free, and most importantly games run better and can be modded effortlessly.

I don't want to come off as a PC Master Race kind of guy and I apologize if I did with this post. I love consoles just as much if not more, but they're just too expensive for no reason. Especially games costing $90 a pop... And here I am thinking a $40 game is outrageously priced on PC lmao

13. YOUCANTSTOPME

May 7, 2012
    Canada
    in yo mind
    Are you kidding me? A high end PC costs way more than a console and some controllers.

Like I've said, I'm not really sure what you are complaining about. I'm not trying to be rude but if you aren't happy about it, then don't play?

I don't collect Magic The Gathering, but it would be no different than me going onto some MTG forums and whining about the prices of cards and how it's "cost after cost". Yeah, it sucks, but if that's a hobby you want to be a part of, then that's the cost.

14. mrcroket

mrcroket Member

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2018
    Spain
    Well mine cost me 310€ and no cheap but roughly speaking "affordable" (it's not like neogeo or ps3 at launch). The problem with the switch is the games prices, games never drop prices. I have a large ps4 collection (about 130 games in physical format) and many of these games were purchased for €20 or €25 or so.

Last edited by mrcroket, Sep 10, 2019
  15. sonicrings
    OP

Oct 7, 2012
    Canada
    Johto

16. YOUCANTSTOPME

May 7, 2012
    Canada
    in yo mind