Hardware Getting tired of the ridiculous Switch pricing

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I remember when I got my Wii U, I also bought Smash, and played the crap out of it. Then a year or two later I bought Mario Kart 8 and played it like twice.

Granted my Wii U came bundled with Nintendoland and Mario 3D World, and I got a bunch of games from Club Nintendo as well, which made for many fun hours of party games with friends, but Smash was the only game I kept going back to, and still play to this day whenever my friends come over.

I guess my interest as a gamer has either diminished or the other games I'm interested in are also on PC, but I do believe I'd be more than satisfied with just Smash Ultimate if I were to get a Switch. It's only a matter of if they reduce the price.. Spending over $300 on a system which comes with an additional $300 in expenses is just unjustifiable for me.
The Wii U was pretty lacking in games. Switch already has a much better library than the Wii U ever did. Have a look here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/essentials-nintendo-switch-retail-digital-games.476760/
Many games on the "Others" list are pretty good as well.
FWIW, you can still find 4.1.0 iPatched units that are hackable with Caffeine. Just have to compare the serial with the spreadsheet here to see which firmware it likely comes with before buying: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ifBIsbTeTpk-bL1Ul9Z9ORPVX3BNH2pHlGW1Z0g8nvM/edit#gid=0
HA they are $400-450 here...
games are $60-90!
But your dollars are worth less so it evens out.

Sonansune

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i bought my brand new one from ebay drop seller(amazon) in Oct 2017. 399.99 no tax. normal retail price about 450 (13% tax).
bought second one from auctionmaxx about 350(tax included) iirc.

Last edited by Sonansune,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
If you *really* only care about docked, I wonder if you can pick up one with a faulty screen for fairly cheap.
Faulty/broken Switches still go for quite a lot surprisingly. The accessories go for a fair amount, so if you buy a complete in box faulty Switch it'll cost you almost as much as buying a fully working second hand Switch.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well if you only care about smash while docked, you can probably skip the joycons as well in favor of some GC style controller, or an adapter for your existing one.

Hell you can even go unofficial dock, insignia's been pretty reliable. So then you can just buy a faulty screen tablet, unofficial dock, and whatever controller.

edit: I don't recall if joycons are required for first time setup after a factory reset, so that might be an issue.

Last edited by Rahkeesh,

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I've bought 3 already.
One for me, two as gifts.
It is not -that- expensive, but you can always go for a mini and give up docked, that's way cheaper.
Perhaps somebody will buy one for you eventually.

PS: docked mode switch, without battery or screen, will sure eventually come.

Andrezin0692

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
They are 2000 local currency witch is 500USD here in brasil, and we don't even have official game stores, or nintendo support... o, and the minimal wage here is 1000... pretty bad...

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Well if you only care about smash while docked, you can probably skip the joycons as well in favor of some GC style controller, or an adapter for your existing one.

Hell you can even go unofficial dock, insignia's been pretty reliable. So then you can just buy a faulty screen tablet, unofficial dock, and whatever controller.

edit: I don't recall if joycons are required for first time setup after a factory reset, so that might be an issue.
Yeah, you have to dock the JoyCons during the initial setup. They're also needed for some games, like Super Mario Party and Pokemon Let's Go.

SonicRings

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've bought 3 already.
One for me, two as gifts.
It is not -that- expensive, but you can always go for a mini and give up docked, that's way cheaper.
Perhaps somebody will buy one for you eventually.

PS: docked mode switch, without battery or screen, will sure eventually come.
Gift one to me? :P

I may have found a bnib neon switch for 250 cad on kijiji. I'm just confused as to why? Why is it brand new, why is it so cheap, why doesn't the owner just take it to literally any store and get 400+tax? Makes no sense.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Gift one to me? :P

I may have found a bnib neon switch for 250 cad on kijiji. I'm just confused as to why? Why is it brand new, why is it so cheap, why doesn't the owner just take it to literally any store and get 400+tax? Makes no sense.
Sounds fishy.
Either a scam, or it has something about it. Brand new? I doubt it.

CKkio23

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a Canadian and have been eager to buy a switch once the price drops, but it's been sitting at $400 forever. I recall the prices even going up to $500 on black friday so that they can give a "$100 discount" to bring the price back down to $400.

Any advice on picking up a regular model Switch? I just saw the pricing of the Switch Mini on amazon at $260 and would absolutely buy a regular switch at that price. I checked Nintendo's refurb section of their store but they're asking $350, which is a mere $50 discount. Kijiji is littered with people selling "BNIB" consoles for $380+ (why don't you just return it to the store if it's BNIB... are they stolen or something?) or bundles for well over $450 with a game or two.

I'd literally only play Smash online, docked, if I get a switch so I don't even care if it's hackable.

BUY IT ON OFFERUP / LETGO // EBAY.

my first switch i got launch day sold it, now im onto my 5th switch all hackable too. mostly go for $250 - + i gotten two for $100

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
off topic but

and then there is me who littearly bought a ps4 just for kingdom hearts and had neglected the system since
Same for me with the 360. I got one for Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts and we all know how that game turned out. But I got Blue Dragon for it and that's one of my favorite JRPGs to date so I guess something good came out of it.

Reactions: jt_1258

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
honestly I think the console is well worth $300
I don't regret my purchase at all. Solid hardware, good screen, my 6 year old has been playing it for months and it hasn't got a scratch (even though the boy dropped it on the floor a couple of times)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Cool.