ROM Hack Getting the DS Browser to work on slot 2.

keeganator

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Before I did this, I used to get 2 white screens on my Supercard when opening the DS Browser.

So I opened up the DS Browser with DSlazy, I changed the arm7.bin file with the arm7.bin file from Crash Boom Bang!. I was surprised when the Browser actually booted on my Supercard until it got to this screen.

(Taken with an emulator but this is what it looks like on my ds.)
----------------------PATCHED----------------------------------------NOT PATCHED
dsworking.png
dsnotworking.png

I can't get past that screen though.

By the way THIS IS SLOT 2 ONLY.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
The arm7.bin files are likely to be exactly the same. The ARM7 processor only takes care of sound/WiFi and such. In fact, seeing as it worked afterwards, they were probably exactly the same.

Yes, well done, you can hex-edit the browser to change the text. All the icons happen to be png files too.

And browsers don't work on the ds without more RAM. The DS doesn't have enough RAM to store and render pages at the same time.

Bascially, you're never going to get it to work on a Slot-2 alone.

mobad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why not?
I mean my G6 has 32 megs of RAM and so does M3, SC and probably more slot-2 devices do too. Now your going to say "but you can't use it" then I will say "look at DSLinux it can use the 32 megs of RAM on most slot-2 devices and if it can then why can't someone make some sort of patch that can make use of that extra RAM."

Neko

Been a while.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I think it's not that easy to use the RAM of those Slot2-devices.
You would need to implent complete routins of reading and replace the old ones.
Also you would need to write your code in assembler , which makes it even harder. ^^

(Don't kill me if its wrong.
biggrin.gif
)

Hit

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just buy the official one damn dudes
Support Nintendo least ones, you pirates
Though i dont got it why would i need it

Modrak

Trophies
XP
Country
Why not?
I mean my G6 has 32 megs of RAM and so does M3, SC and probably more slot-2 devices do too. Now your going to say "but you can't use it" then I will say "look at DSLinux it can use the 32 megs of RAM on most slot-2 devices and if it can then why can't someone make some sort of patch that can make use of that extra RAM."

You better read this and try to understand that without the source of the Opera Browser, it's impossible to do it :/
Click!!

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trust me its a total piece of crap, a contract obligation for doing the Wii version. Its slow as hell and seeing most sites have flash you can't even go on most sites.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night. +1