Getting super paranoid about emunand, and possibility of new system update in regard to New 3DS XL

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by archnachoofthepi, Jan 29, 2015.

  1. archnachoofthepi
    OP

    archnachoofthepi Advanced Member

    Newcomer
    79
    17
    Aug 4, 2007
    United States
    Okay, so maybe I'm just being cray, but can someone indulge my paranoia and be a bit of a sounding board please?

    I enjoy my 3DS XL quite a bit and love supporting developers that make games I enjoy. I own an XL because my eyesight isn't great and the nerve endings in my hands are damaged. As a result, being able to see the classic 3ds screen is difficult for me, and it's painful to hold it for extended periods of time.

    I have a gateway and my 3DS profile on emunand 9.4 with all of my games. Digital is my preference; it's just more convenient for me, so every 3ds game I own (it's a lot) is digital. I use my gateway to enjoy games from Japan and Europe that never came here, as well as to try new titles that I'm on the fence about buying.

    Someone on gamefaqs raised a scare that Nintendo had released a new firmware, which appears to be false, but now it's got me thinking; if Nintendo were to release a new firmware before or right after the new 3ds xl releases, I would be hosed right? I wouldn't be able to update my emunand to do the system transfer as it would cease functioning if I understand correctly. What's more, if Nintendo releases a system update before gateway becomes compatible with the unit, or if I can make the transfer then a system update occurs, I lose eshop access as well as the capacity to do a system transfer.

    Should I legitimately be concerned, or is there a trick I don't know about? At this point I think I might just update my old 3ds, transfer my emunand back to its sysnand, and just wait for the new 3ds to come out. That way if there is a firmware update I'll be safe. I don't want to, but it seems to be the smartest decision overall unless there's a trick I don't know about.
     
  2. archnachoofthepi
    OP

    archnachoofthepi Advanced Member

    Newcomer
    79
    17
    Aug 4, 2007
    United States
    Right, but if a new update comes before gateway becomes compatible with the system then I won't be able to transfer my data if I understand correctly. Essentially if I just keep using my XL but then a 9.5 comes out, I won't be able to do a system transfer. Let's hypothetically say new 3ds xl comes out and then Nintendo does a day one update to 9.5 at the same time gateway is like "new 3ds compatible now"; in that instance I would have to update both systems to 9.5 to be able to perform a system transfer, thus making it impossible to perform since emunand isn't compatible with anything above 9.4 right now.

    Even if the system comes with 9.0, which we don't know if the limited edition ones do, if Nintendo does a firmware update before gateway releases their update I'll be stuck.
     
  3. tony_2018

    tony_2018 GBAtemp Psycho!

    Member
    3,106
    1,050
    Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    You're not suppose to update emunand until the team releases a firmware to support emunand on anything past 9.4.
     
  4. gamesquest1

    gamesquest1 Nabnut

    Member
    GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

    Our Patreon
    14,165
    9,523
    Sep 23, 2013
    simplez....wait for updated emunand support, if it never comes and you update your n3DS to 9.5, but still want to copy everything from your original 3DS (but keep it on an exploitable firmware), get a nand mod installed, update to 9.5, do a system transfer, then downgrade back to 4.5 or whatever your on

    truth is though, the longest gateway has ever been without latest emunand support was about 2 months, and that was due to 7.x encryption being added....could something like that be pulled again by nintnedo....yeah probably, but im not really seeing it, i think nintendo has to accept that gateway know how to retrieve the keys now, messing about with new encryption formats isnt really a solution for them any more
     
  5. Hkari

    Hkari GBAtemp Regular

    Member
    146
    34
    Oct 15, 2008
    United States
    If there is a day 1 update to 9,5 you would just have to wait a few days for gateway to release a 9,5 emunand update then continue from there.

    Even if that doesn't work, you can call Nintendo and have them transfer your account (and the download licences) to a new system. You just give them the serial number of the new system. This is what I did to transfer my licences from my broken screen 3DS to my 3DS XL (with emunand).
     
  6. archnachoofthepi
    OP

    archnachoofthepi Advanced Member

    Newcomer
    79
    17
    Aug 4, 2007
    United States
    Thank you gamesquest1, I've only just gotten into using a gateway so part of my concern was that I had no idea how long emunand support updates usually took from them. I've never heard of a nand mod; that definitely sounds like something I should look into. Are they something that can be changed as a software mod or do I need to buy additional hardware?

    EDIT

    Thank you also Hikari; your post hadn't appeared while I was typing >_<

    I'll just wait rather than doing the transfer to my old unit; it'll be a lot easier on my hands and my eyes!
     
  7. Apache Thunder

    Apache Thunder I have cameras in your head!

    Member
    4,123
    4,075
    Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    I can see emunand updates being pushed out faster for n3DS users. Since Gateway is being used on sysnand with current encryption keys, they don't have to constantly update emunand patches to get around that. Future 9.5 update might not even need a Gateway update. But if it does, it won't take near as long for Gateway to release an update for it. ;)

    Only 4.5fw users will have to wait longer and that won't apply at all to n3DS users. Though Gateway could hold up updates until they get it working on all fw versions. Lets hope they at least do the speedy updates for n3DS users. They're already having them wait longer for their n3DS support. The least they can do is be a bit faster on emunand updates with them they the rest of us. :P

    Although an idea I just came up with. Something to you all should really be afraid of...is what if Nintendo decides to force a system reboot before doing an update? System Transfers already require this. It's not out of the question they would do this for system updates (though it can't happen now since 9.4 won't do that. But 9.5 could have this feature and then you won't be able to update emunand to 9.6/10.0). The scary part is, you will have accepted the user agreement message on the initial update, so if you see it reboot, it's already too late and it won't let you cancel it.

    If they force a reboot, this will kick the console out of Gateway mode and the resulting update will be applied to sysnand! So on 9.5 (or possibly 10.0 if they decide to just skip to that) will be the time to keep an eye out for that! ;)

    Though there's a thread floating around here somewhere where you can manually update emunand. I would not be surprised if Gateway releases an "Upgrade" feature to go along their "Downgrade" feature. Of coarse they'll limit the upgrade feature to emunand users for obvious reasons. So all is not doom and gloom if Nintendo forces a reboot for the next update after 9.5/10.0)

    Of coarse those with a NAND mod installed could just backup sysnand and allow the update to occur on sysnand. Then extract that and inject into their emunand and restore the NAND backup. But not everyone can do this. :P
     
  8. gamesquest1

    gamesquest1 Nabnut

    Member
    GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

    Our Patreon
    14,165
    9,523
    Sep 23, 2013
    yeah, generally gateways emunand compatibility updates take about a week, 2 months was the longest, but pretty much every other one has been between 1 day and a week

    in regards to the hardware mod, you an get in touch with hundshamer a nand mod is really nice to have, it means you dont have to worry about messing up and updating sysnand or anything, aslong as you have a nand backup you can always recover from it
     
  9. nyder

    nyder GBAtemp Fan

    Member
    337
    166
    Mar 6, 2014
    United States
    Does these questions keep you up at night? Why is there so much speculation over stuff we can NOT control and stuff that doesn't matter.

    What ever happens, happens and we deal with it. Being "paranoid" and talking about stuff is pointless.

    In a couple weeks we will get the new 3DS's. We we know then what firmware it's on. If Nintendo releases an big update that day, then whatever, we deal with it. If they don't, then we deal with it.

    Do you understand? You can take your panties out of your crack, we will deal with whatever happens. After it happens. Before then, chill.
     
  10. DjoeN

    DjoeN Captain Haddock!

    Member
    5,207
    1,503
    Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Somewhere in this potatoland!
    And yes, you need to be on 9.4 on both consoles to do a system transffer (it's proved to work with 9.4 on one and emunand 9.4 on the other
     
  11. weatMod

    weatMod GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

    Member
    1,975
    623
    Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    I don't understand this sperg retardation who gives a shit about digital games you purchased ?
    Just download the CIA's and install them ,there problem solved
    It's like same thing why people stress over purchased eshop titles when they can just use CIA is beyond me it makes no logical sense
    And especially since they are installed to emunand
    You still need GW to boot emunand anyways so. It like you can sell your 3ds and those purchased games. Because whoever. It's it would still need a GW and couldn't play them from sysnand anyways
    And if they had a age then they. Oils just install them anyways