Getting strange error when loading

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by geekzapoppin, Jul 21, 2007.

Jul 21, 2007
  1. geekzapoppin
    OP

Newcomer geekzapoppin Newbie

United States
    Hey guys,

I have only had my R4 for about a month now. When it works, it works well, but I'm finding that a good deal of the time when I turn on my DS, the R4 loader comes up with a strange error message in Chinese. I have the US version of the R4, so that isn't the problem. I've found that either reformatting the card or reuploading the loader to the card seems to clear up the problem temporarily, but not for very long. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks.

2. superrob

Member superrob H4X H4X H4X!

Denmark
    Could we maybe get a screen shot?

3. geekzapoppin
    OP

United States
    Here's the best I could do with my less-than-stellar camera. It's just the lower screen. It's hard to make out, but the error message has a series of exclamation points on top (!!!!!) and then Chinese characters beneath. It's the darndest thing. It seems to be totally random whether it works or not.

[​IMG]

4. DSGRIM

Member DSGRIM GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Thats looks terribly familiar to the This Hardware is not Compatible message.

Make sure you have the English version and not just the Jap version with the english patched firmware. Make sure all files are there and make sure you have the actual R4 firmware.

5. geekzapoppin
    OP

United States
    How do I tell the difference? Everything was in English in the box and worked for a while. Is there anything I can try if I do somehow have the wrong version? The firmware is definitely the official R4 English 1.10. I tried 1.08 as well since some folks have said that it's less buggy.

6. retman

Banned retman Banned

United Kingdom
    ... [​IMG] By downloading v1.10 English off r4ds.cn

7. geekzapoppin
    OP

United States
    I got it off of r4ds.com. I'm assuming that's an official site as well?

8. arsehat

Member arsehat GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    There was a post from someone over at r4ds.net before it disappeared who had an R4 that mysteriously changed itself from an english version to a chinese version. Reformatting is probably doing nothing - it's probably the removal and re-insertion of the TF and the microscopic flexing of the board as you take out and re-insert the R4 that's affecting a trace or a solder joint. If you have the chance to send it back to your supplier, do so. It's only a month old.

If there's *no *chance of getting the supplier to do anything about it, don't write it off just yet. Maybe if you do something stupid like drop it repeatedly the shock will force it into more reliable operation as a chinese card, in which case you could use a modified chinese firmware on it. Not something I'd normally recommend, but it if it's too erratic to be usable anyway and it can't go back to the vendor...

9. geekzapoppin
    OP

United States
    That explanation sounds logical. I've attempted to contact dealextreme (where I bought it) so we'll see what they say. Thanks for your help.

10. luktay

Newcomer luktay Newbie

United States
    I'm also seeing the same error message. Is there a solution for this yet? (even if I have to open up the r4)

11. luktay

Newcomer luktay Newbie

United States
    Ok, I downloaded the v1.10 Chinese firmware for the r4 and that solved it.
    Menus are in chinese but its entirely usable.

Link for firmware http://download.r4ds.com/chinese/SChinese-1.10.rar

(how strange that r4 has region dependency when ds doesnt.....)

12. DSGRIM

Member DSGRIM GBAtemp Regular

United States