Getting started with homebrew

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by The Mole, Jun 14, 2008.

Jun 14, 2008

Getting started with homebrew by The Mole at 7:43 PM (1,055 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. The Mole
    OP

Member The Mole GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Hello all,

I know you may think there is 100s of these topics but i have searched and could not find the answer to my question.

I decided i wanted to try out homebrew on my Wii key enabled Wii.

After doing some research the simple way was to download the .iso version of the homebrew channel. I did that installed it on my wii, i can gain access to the channel but it never locates anything on my memory card. The memory card is formatted correctly.

Do i still need to envoke the Twilight hack, even though i have the latest version of the homebrew channel? If the answer is no (which is what i suspect) then any idea as to why nothing is showing on my memory card through the homebrew channel?

Cheers

Mole

2. CambridgeGuy

Member CambridgeGuy GBAtemp Regular

Ireland
    Clearly it isn't. Make sure it's FAT16 (referred to Windows as simply FAT), and that your programs are in the right place.

3. jinxvorheeze

Member jinxvorheeze GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Make sure you have the homebrew you want in the correct directory:

root:\apps\"program name"\boot.elf or boot.dol

Also, make sure you are not using an SDHC SD card (High Capacity) as it will not work no matter how it is formatted.

4. The Mole
    OP

Member The Mole GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    The memory card was formatted correctly, i just think it may have had issues being a mini sd in an adapter. I tried a propper SD card and it worked. However i was unable to get two wads to run after sucessful installation. Do the wads have to be the correct region? IE PAL wads will only work on PAL consoles.

5. killplaystation

Member killplaystation GBAtemp Fan

United States
    yes wads must be of your region, and micro SD's in an adapter work fine

6. deba94

Member deba94 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Check your adapter for cracks or chips.
    My adapter had a crack going down the back and wasn't reading the card correctly, so I switch to a newer, less screwed up adapter and it worked perfectly [​IMG].
    As for the wads, you can use freethewads to run out of region wads on a different console. (Note that not all wads work with freethewads. Check the compatibility list.)