Homebrew Getting Rock Band to work on softmodded Wii

Eguin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I apologize if this is the wrong thread.

I own a softmodded original wii with homebrew and would like to be able to play rock band (1, 2, or 3). I know that since the instruments use the usb ports that installing the correct cIOS and stuff is important, though I'm not such an expert at this stuff...
I own a wired usb drum set (the one that came with the original rock band) as well as a wired usb mic and 2 wireless guitars (again the ones that came with the original rockband) as well their respective guitar dongles. When I first tried launching rockband I wasn't able to connect anything except for the mic. After doing a little research I believe (though I could be wrong, again this is all a little above me) that I installed Hermes isos for 249 and 250 and in usb loader (which I use to launch the games) to use 249 for the game and loader iso. After that it became a bit of a hit or miss, depending on what port I used sometimes the mic and drum worked. For the guitar dongles I can't connect them to the guitars since when I hit the sync button on them they stop blinking and go dead (they still work and blink if I restart the wii, just not while the game is being launched). I tried launching the game both through an external usb drive and through a burned disc (both through usb loader) with the same results. My original copy of rock band is too scratched to use so I couldn't try that.

Is there anything I can do to get this working? Thanks in advance for any help!

Reactions: Alexander1970

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.:)

I own a softmodded original wii with homebrew and would like to be able to play rock band (1, 2, or 3). I know that since the instruments use the usb ports that installing the correct cIOS and stuff is important, though I'm not such an expert at this stuff...
I own a wired usb drum set (the one that came with the original rock band) as well as a wired usb mic and 2 wireless guitars (again the ones that came with the original rockband) as well their respective guitar dongles. When I first tried launching rockband I wasn't able to connect anything except for the mic. After doing a little research I believe (though I could be wrong, again this is all a little above me) that I installed Hermes isos for 249 and 250 and in usb loader (which I use to launch the games) to use 249 for the game and loader iso. After that it became a bit of a hit or miss, depending on what port I used sometimes the mic and drum worked. For the guitar dongles I can't connect them to the guitars since when I hit the sync button on them they stop blinking and go dead (they still work and blink if I restart the wii, just not while the game is being launched). I tried launching the game both through an external usb drive and through a burned disc (both through usb loader) with the same results. My original copy of rock band is too scratched to use so I couldn't try that.

Thank you,my Friend.:)
I'm not an expert on this, but I've heard it's a pita to get the instruments to work, so that's probably why you're having problems. @alexander1970 is a wii expert, so he might have a solution.

It was long ago since I have tried these Games but i will have a Look on it and give you Feedback if you like.:)

What I remembered,the hermes cIOS 222/223/224 with Bases 37 + 38 works great,but no SD Card Access for additional/downloaded Content possible.

The cIOS 249 (d2x v8 and v10) with Base 56 also works except for Rockband 3.
No standard Wii Guitar Controller (Guitar Hero) detected,only the Rockband Fender Guitar from Mad Catz worked,unfortunately mine was broken,so I could not tested it 100 Percent.
(I will search for the Threads and post the links,if you like)

That is was I remember "to the Fast".

Thank you.:)

Last edited by Alexander1970,

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello again.:D

Here are the Threads for Rockband 3:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-rockband-3-fender-mustang-pro-guitar-controller.544059/
and
https://gbatemp.net/threads/rock-ba...bility-on-other-consoles.543661/#post-8725376

and maybe this:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/usb-loader-gx-and-mic-drum.520964/page-4#post-8986829

I hope it helps a little.:)

Eguin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow thank you so much! I'm still a little unsure exactly how the cIOS's work and whatnot, but I'm gonna try and install cIOS 222/223/224 with Bases 37 + 38. I'll also look at the threads you sent. Do you know if it matters where I load the game from? Meaning a disc vs the usb drive? I've been doing the disc since I wanted the usb spots to be open for the guitars/drum/mic but if that's not an option I can buy a new splitter.
I'm assuming after I install the cIOS's I should go to the loader settings in usb loader and change the 2 cIOS's to 222/223/224, right?

Eguin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I finished going through the threads you send (and my head hurts a bit), but I think I understand a little more now. I'm going to try it with Rock Band 3 using what @Cyan wrote (thank you so much for your help as well!)

"d2x v8 final base 37, or d2x v10 r52 base 37

You can install that cIOS in an empty slot above 230, for example slot248.
If you prefer you can use slot237 too looks like "237 has base 37", the same way as "IOS236 is based on IOS 36".
But, don't do that for all bases, it's not possible and is even useless to have all existing bases for no reasons."

I own the drum kit and guitar from the original rock band (drum has a usb cable and plugs directly in and the guitar uses a usb dongle). I also own the mic though I'm pretty sure it's identical to any usb microphone.

Also if you think it'll help anyone, I have an NTSC wii and am willing to test stuff.

I'll let you know how it goes when Rock Band 3 finishes downloading, thanks so much for all your help!!

Eguin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so these are my findings so far. Both for the original Rock Band and for Rock Band 3 it's the same story. I tried both what @Cyan suggested: d2x v10 beta 52 base 37 revision 21010 in slot 245
For this the drum set worked perfectly although the mic and guitar didn't. The mic isn't the one it came with (my brother is looking for it), I used a blue snowball ice instead which is a usb mic. The guitar again is wireless and uses the rock band usb dongle. The dongle is flashing blue when plugged in originally and stays that way (indicating it's looking for something to connect with). The guitar won't connect to it and if I hit the sync button on the dongle it stops flashing and doesn't work.

I also tried using Hermes on slot 222 with IOS 222 v65535 with base 37 which had worse results.
The guitar and mic were the same story, but with 222 even the drum set didn't work.

I'm doing to try using d2x v8 final base 37 and 223 and 224 with base 38 and mixed respectively.

Again thank you for any and all help!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also I forgot to mention but for every test for the original Rock Band I tried them out on both port 0 and port 1 with the same results, and for Rock Band 3 it was all in port 1 (port 0 is being used by the hard drive holding the game).

And I always had them plugged in before usb loader was launched and stay in throughout the test

Eguin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok firstly I made a mistake. I wrote I used cIOS 222 with base 37 when really I used it with base 38
I tried d2x v8 final base 37 and got the exact same results as with d2x v10 (only the drums worked and when I pushed the sync button the dongle stopped flashing)
But when I tried cIOS 223 and 224 with base 38 on both the same thing happened but it was interesting. I was still able to use the drum and unable to use the mic, the guitar was odd. It detected the dongle and I was able to push the sync button without it turning off (and it still detected it), but I wasn't able to connect my guitar to it. I tried it with 2 different guitars and both had the same result, so I don't think it's a faulty guitar. This was only in port 1 since for some reason even though I was launching Rock Band through a burned disc it still wouldn't run without a hard drive in port 0 (I could hit "start" but the wii would just freeze)

Anything else you guys can think of? You've already helped so much

Last edited by Eguin,

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
@good Morning @Eguin .:)

Great to see you have tested and used all the Help.Very good.:yay:

Unfortunately,I did not own a Drum Kit and it is still impossible to get a (Fender) Guitar for Rockband 3
(the Prices are insane and ridiculous - hey,it is a Piece of Plastic ! :angry:).

So for Rockband 3 I am out,very,very sorry.....the only Thing I remember,I have tried Disc/Backup Disc and USB Loading.
unfortunately the same Results.

Rockband and Rockband 2 are working fine with the Guitar Hero Controllers but I also remember some cIOS "irregularities"...
I will test it this Weekend if you like,but as I said,no Drum Kit available...:(

Reactions: jeannotte

Eguin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@good Morning @Eguin .:)

Great to see you have tested and used all the Help.Very good.:yay:

Unfortunately,I did not own a Drum Kit and it is still impossible to get a (Fender) Guitar for Rockband 3
(the Prices are insane and ridiculous - hey,it is a Piece of Plastic ! :angry:).

So for Rockband 3 I am out,very,very sorry.....the only Thing I remember,I have tried Disc/Backup Disc and USB Loading.
unfortunately the same Results.

Rockband and Rockband 2 are working fine with the Guitar Hero Controllers but I also remember some cIOS "irregularities"...
I will test it this Weekend if you like,but as I said,no Drum Kit available...:(

Good morning to you too (though I think we may be in different time zones :P)

No need to apologize, thanks so much for all your help!

I don't own any guitar hero controllers, the only ones I have are the ones that came with Rockband (Fender Startocaster). I don't want to stop you if others may want any tests done, but for me I don't have the guitar hero ones anyway (thanks anyway though!).

I guess I'll try some more random things I guess? Like I've only tried Rockband and Rockband 3, I can try Rockband 2. I also believe there were a few Guitar Hero games that were compatible with the Rockband drums so I'll try those out too. I'll post if I have any good news.

And again thanks for all the help!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello,

Thank you for doing these tests, both for you and for others :)
most (if not all) of my recommendations are only logical, based on how I think cIOS and games works, I didn't test any of these games with USB Accessories as I don't own any.
If you have any specific working results, let me know. I'll add proper test result to the wiki !

I'm sure current reports in the wiki are wrong, even if marked as confirmed, they were done by only one person, and with half done tests "I tested 56, it works" ... yeah, it didn't mean that it doesn't work on 57... only that he tried one random IOS base and had no problem.

edit:
Another test you could do, is try other loaders, or neek2o ? (yeah, no reason neek wouldn't work if it uses official IOS, so maybe a useless test)

Do you use any HUB ? (you shouldn't :P), but curious about any result you may find with using one for accessories. (no use trying HUB with game's HDD it won't work unless you use base58)

Last edited by Cyan,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Cyan can get you setup with neek2o on the wii. I know how to do so on the wii u thanks to him. I also helped someone with it just the other day actually. I'm not sure if you can create the files or not (I know you can with normal sneek and uneek) or if it's some sort of fork, but I have yet to find a game I couldn't run correctly with either neek2o or regular emunand. one game that requires neek is castlevania adventure rebirth. I think it black screens otherwise with regular emunand.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.:)

Guess what comes today in my "Room" @Eguin :

P1020049.jpg P1020050.jpg

So,testing Time again.:rofl2:

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello @Eguin .:)

For tonight Testing is enough....my Fingers are "hurting" and I am completely done.:rofl2:
I think the last time I have played Guitar Hero was in 2019..so it needed a little Practice.
But I must say,the Rockband Guitar is completely different from the Guitar Hero Controllers.
Very precise and hard,not so easy to play like in the Guitar Hero Games.

For the Test Setup:

P1020051.JPG

- PAL Wii on 4.3E with latest Build from the USBLoader GX from @blackb0x (sorry,@Cyan ,my Friend...)
- 2 TB WD Elements HDD with Y-Cable but only the Power Cable connected to USB Port 0.
- The Rockband Receiver connected to Port 1.
- Loader´s IOS is 58 and Game IOS 249 Base 56 (Rev.65535 d2x-v10beta52)
- NO special InGame Settings/Changes
- For all Rockband Games - emuNAND Save OFF - all Saves goes to the Wii NAND.

Tested only the Rockband Guitar Controller first.

A Tip maybe - please avoid used/weak Batteries,it results in constantly disconnect Issues....

Tested Games (loaded with the USBLoader GX from the HDD,no Disc Game used):

- Rockband PAL
- Rockband 2 NTSC
- Rockband 3 NTSC
- Rockband - Green Day NTSC
- Rockband - Beatles NTSC
- Rockband - Classic Rock Track Pack NTSC
- Rockband - Track Pack 1 NTSC
- Rockband - Track Pack 2 NTSC
- Rockband - Metal Track Pack NTSC
- Rockband - AC/DC NTSC
- Rockband - LEGO NTSC
- Rockband - Country Track Pack NTSC
- Rockband - Country Track Pack 2 NTSC

All Games worked without any Issues or Changes in the Settings.:)

Now to add the other "Instruments".:D

As "HUB" I use this NoName China cheap Card Reader with USB Ports connected to the Wii´s Port 1 and no additional Power:

P1020059.JPG

First I added the Drums....a little "adventurious" maybe...

P1020052.JPG P1020055.JPG P1020054.JPG

Tested with

- Rockband PAL
- Rockband 2 NTSC
- Rockband 3 NTSC
(I am pretty sure,all other Games are also working too..I will test it later.)

All 3 Games worked without any Issues or Changes in the Settings.:)

Now I added the Microphone....again,a little "adventurious" maybe...

P1020056.JPG P1020057.JPG P1020058.JPG

Tested with

- Rockband PAL
- Rockband 2 NTSC
- Rockband 3 NTSC
(I am pretty sure,all the other Games are working too..I will test it later.)

All 3 Games worked without any Issues or Changes in the Settings.:)

So,after a long Night,it seems it is working with the
original ROCKBAND Equipment and a NoName USB Card Reader/Hub.:)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
USBLoader GX from blackb0x (sorry,@Cyan ,my Friend...)
Don't worry, that's what happen when you are not active anymore.

All the tested games worked with default settings?
Well, I guess all works fine with Game IOS 249 Base 56 (Rev.65535 d2x-v10beta52).

would you be willing to do all your tests again with base57 ?
I would trust your tests more if you can confirm 57 is not working.
Sorry for giving you more work.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello,my Friend.:)

Don't worry, that's what happen when you are not active anymore.
All the tested games worked with default settings?
Well, I guess all works fine with Game IOS 249 Base 56 (Rev.65535 d2x-v10beta52).

would you be willing to do all your tests again with base57 ?
I would trust your tests more if you can confirm 57 is not working.
Sorry for giving you more work.

Can I use 250 (already set to 57) or should I re-mod cIOS249 with Base 57 ? :)

Reactions: jeannotte

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
the slot number has no effect, you should know that since I can't count how much I told it on every threads !
only the version and the base count, not the slot.

so, yes, use slot250 if it contains your cIOS based on IOS57

I think there is no long Testing needed.

Rockband PAL/NTSC with 250(57) and the Guitar is no longer recognized with my proven Setup...:sad:

The Same for

- Rockband 2 NTSC
- Rockband 3 NTSC

For all 3 Games:

- The Blue LED on the Receiver stays BLUE/ON
- The Guitar Symbol in the Guitar is also BLUE/ON

P1020060.JPG

...but no Controller Number was assigned.Usually it is "2" for the Guitar Controller

So it is maybe Fact,with Base 57 - no working Equipment with the Rockband Series.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the slot number has no effect, you should know that by now, as I can't count how much I told it on every threads !
only the version and the base count, not the slot.

I know,how to get my French Friend on "the Palm Tree" (exasperate).
Hehehe....:D

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
thank you for your tests and your time. I'll add your report to the wiki when I'll have time.
I'll add only to the games you confirmed not working with 57.

Updated Tests @Cyan :)

Rockband Games tested with attached Guitar and Drums with Base 57:

- Rockband PAL/NTSC - Equipment not working
- Rockband 2 NTSC - Equipment not working
- Rockband 3 NTSC - Equipment not working
- Rockband - Green Day NTSC - Equipment not working
- Rockband - Beatles NTSC - Equipment not working
- Rockband - Classic Rock Track Pack NTSC - Equipment not working
- Rockband - Track Pack 1 NTSC - Equipment not working
- Rockband - Track Pack 2 NTSC - Equipment not working
- Rockband - Metal Track Pack NTSC - Equipment not working
- Rockband - AC/DC NTSC - Equipment not working
- Rockband - LEGO NTSC - Equipment not working
- Rockband - Country Track Pack NTSC - Equipment not working

- Rockband - Country Track Pack 2 NTSC - working (??)
Identifies Guitar as Controller 3 and Drums as Controller 2 (vice versa then the usual Order)
Hangs/Stucks with Base 56 on the animated InGame Loading Screen when Drums and Guitar attached.

This Game was released 2011 - 2 Years after the last Track Pack "Metal Track Pack" (2009).Maybe that is the Reason why it works..? :unsure:

The WiiBackupManager says IOS Version 57 as the only Rockband Game.
On all other Rockband Games it says IOS Version 37 or 55 or 56.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended