1. Eguin

OP Eguin Member
    Newcomer

United States
    WOW thank you SO much for all testing (though I know it wasn't just for me I still really appreciate it)!

Is it possible (or likely?) that the NTSC wii is different than the PAL one? The other option is that the dongle I use is broken (which is very possible given how old all this stuff is, we got the game at release). I'll ask a few of my friends that might have the dongle if I could borrow it to test.

I've never heard of neek2o before but I'm certainly willing to try it out (not that I have any clue what the difference between an emuNand and a loader is :wacko:)

I couldn't find the original mic at all so all my tests were still with a usb Blue Snowball Ice (a microphone I use in my laptop from Blue) so everything I say is still using that mic.

I'm unsure exactly how the hubs work. I have a standard usb hub I use with my laptop that I can try out, though it's not exactly like the rockband one (it uses usb 3.0 and has 3 usb 3.0 ports, an sd card slow, micrdo sd card, and some other thing that I don't really know what it is... That being said I got the exact same results for Rockband and Rockband 3 using the dongle as a hub for the drums and mic (since the dongle has 2 usb inputs on it)

Sorry I was busy yesterday but I'll do tests on the other Rockband games now (though my internet speed isn't so good so it might take me a bit to download them)

And that's so awesome! Seeing the original box is so cool!

jeannotte and alexander1970 like this.
  2. alexander1970

alexander1970 Sometime it gets better..

Austria
    Hello.:)

Thank you.:D

Test on an NTSC Wii is possible,please give me a little Time.:)

But I think it is more a matter of your USBLoader Settings,your Equipment...not of the Region.:(

As you see,I have only used NTSC Games.:)

jeannotte likes this.
  3. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight
    Former Staff

France
    @alexander1970, thank you so much for doing each game test individually, and not giving up thinking "all are the same".
    Strangely, there is one with a different result !!

@Eguin
    Quick explanation :

IOS : File redirection is done on IOS level
    When using the emuNAND Full or Partial option from the loader, it's loading the cIOS installed on your NAND, and the cIOS is responsible for redirecting file requests (for disc, for NAND). so it's a custom IOS and some games might have "custom/antipiracy" detection. the custom IOS receive game's command "please provide me this file from disc" and the cIOS tell the game "you'll get the file from USB instead". Most games are happy to receive the file whatever the place it comes from. Some games don't like it.

Neek : File redirection is done on a lower level (kernel)
    When using emuNAND Neek option, it's loading EVERYTHING from a NAND copy (on SD or USB), and the console is not aware it's been redirected. it uses the copy of the NAND located on USB or SD as if it was the real NAND located on the console. The IOS, the files, everything is loaded from it (instead of Disc or NAND) without knowing it, and using official IOS (not custom). the official IOS receive game's command "please provide me this file from disc" and the IOS tell the game "sure, I found this file on disc" without knowing the source is actually located at a different place.

Neek mode might seems perfect, but it's a little slow to launch and not compatible with different features (cheats, return to, video mode settings from the loader, etc.)
    I recommend using neek only for specific games not working with either USB, real NAND, or emuNAND.

Neek is not using any cIOS at all, only official IOS, so all game "should" work.

Last edited by Cyan, Jan 17, 2021
  4. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Yeah, neek can take minutes to load if you had everything in it. I only two games in mine, and it's very fast.

alexander1970 likes this.
  5. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Legend

United States
    one bad thing I discovered about neek is that if you have a pro controller, for example, that you added to the system after the neek nand was made (on the wii u of course), it will be unattached to to the system after going into neek or loading a neek game. I noticed this with wii remotes as well. it's tied to the emunand as well as the normal system menu, so my new pro controller has to be resynced each time I do that. my old pro controller - no problems. the only way to fix it is to make a new emunand with it synced, but it's not really worth doing that right now.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

another way is to sync the controller while in neek, but a pro controller afaik can't be synced in the virtual wii.

6. Eguin

OP Eguin Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Sorry each post takes me so long but it takes me like 4 hours to download 1 game so progress is slow...

But I tested the same things for the PAL versions of Rockband and Rockband 3 with the exact same results (I got the drum working but no mic and guitar). I think the issue with the mic is that I'm using a blue snowball ice and now the standard mic (I'm still looking for it, I know I saw it recently...). The guitar is almost definitely a problem with the dongle as it's very likely to be broken.

haha, thanks a lot! But if it's any trouble don't worry about it. You've already done so much

That's such cool information! Honestly it just kinda felt like magic...
    So maybe I should try Neek? Even though I'm fairly sure that since it worked for @alexander1970 it's probably a hardware issue.

This is all so cool, though I have this all on an original Wii so obviously there's no option to use a pro controller. In theory I could try doing stuff with the Wii U, but I like leaving it untouched. I can't really explain it but I feel like since it was fairly unpopular it's nice to have an original.

jeannotte and alexander1970 like this.
  7. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Legend

United States
    you could try with neek. some games, and possible peripherals, are only usable with it. you can use sneek on the sd card or uneek on the usb. they're collectively called neek which stands for something I've forgotten I believe. I've never tried neek with a retail game, only emunand, but I don't see why it wouldn't work if that's the problem. some games require very specific credentials like skyward sword doesn't work with emunand for example. black screen after the wii remote screen.

8. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Legend

United States
    here's what neek2o at least looks like on the wii u via my own system. the difference between neek and neek2o is that you have more options with neek2o:

20200710_001255_HDR.jpg

9. Eguin

OP Eguin Member
    Newcomer

United States
  10. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Legend

United States
    you can find normal neek guide on hacksden by @JoostinOnline , not sure about neek2o. the one on the wii u was leaked or the files anyway. I'm not sure about neek2o on the wii though.

11. Eguin

OP Eguin Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I found his guide on sneek for the vWii, is it the same thing for regular wii?
    http://www.hacksden.com/showthread.php/8119-Compiling-a-vWii-compatible-version-of-SNEEK

Also I'm a little confused on @Cyan guide in step 1
    Does this mean I should find an alternate version to dump by nand or should I use Simple FSDumper?

Last edited by Eguin, Jan 17, 2021
    jeannotte likes this.
  12. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Legend

United States
    I don't think so. the kernel is called something like kernel.bin for the wii while the virtual wii is like vwiikernel.bin. I don't think they're the same file.

13. Eguin

OP Eguin Member
    Newcomer

United States
    ah ok, then I'll go with @Cyan guide (sorry for tagging you a million times)

jeannotte likes this.
  14. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Legend

United States
    you could try this: https://sites.google.com/site/completesg/how-to-use/sneek

I don't know where it's at on hacksden, just remember it. it sounds difficult, but it's not as hard as it sounds. I did with the wii, but not the vwii. neek2o on that I just downloaded some prepared files.

15. Eguin

OP Eguin Member
    Newcomer

United States
    oh that looks complicated :blink:

But I'll see if I can do it, thanks!

jeannotte and godreborn like this.
  16. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight
    Former Staff

France
    The sync is stored inside the SYSCONF file.
    USBLoaderGX has an option to copy console's SYSCONF into your current emuNAND (channel) path.

if you add new wiimote or pro controller, or balance board to your NAND, use the copy SYSCONF feature to also put it into (neek's) emuNAND.

I'm not sure it's working fine if it's a fresh new empty NAND from modmii.
    Only use that feature if you dumped your own nand to emuNAND, and therefore use the same data in both. it's like dumping NAND again, but ... only the sync file ;)

Last edited by Cyan, Jan 18, 2021
    XFlak, alexander1970 and godreborn like this.
  17. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Legend

United States
    damn, that will save me the frustration of making a neek emunand again.

18. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Legend

United States
    it worked! thanks!

Cyan and alexander1970 like this.
  19. hadi aulia

hadi aulia Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Indonesia
    Great setup, i prefer guitar hero controler compared to rock band so my usb hub i use only mic for vocal harmony

Just in case you want upgarde your usb hub i recomended this
    https://www.ugreen.com/products/usb-2-0-hub-rj45-ethernet-adapter
    It have 3 usb port also ethernet port just in case you need more stable connection

20. Eguin

OP Eguin Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Sorry for not updating for a while, had a job interview
    But after a bunch more testing I'm pretty sure my dongle is just broken... couldn't find any friends who had rockband to test with so that was a no go

I guess I'll can this project for now :sleep:

But thanks so much everyone for the help! Even if in the end I couldn't make it work

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - softmodded, Getting,