Getting rid of junk data on the Wii.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Robotic Earthlin, May 27, 2009.

May 27, 2009
  1. Robotic Earthlin
    OP

Member Robotic Earthlin GBAtemp Regular

In AnyTitle Deleter Mod, in the Installed Channel Titles section, there are about 12 entries that are listed as unknown, and I don't have that many channels installed, so I think they're just left over from channels I used to have and are taking up space. But I don't know how to figure out which ones are junk and which ones I'm still using. Anyone know? Thanks.

2. Megacherv

Newcomer Megacherv Member

United Kingdom
    Leave them, I think they're what make up the 80 bad blocks of system memory. They come with all Wiis (as a standard feature [​IMG] ), so they're harmless, and deleting them could possibly brick your Wii

3. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba
    if you give the title IDs, maybe it would be more helpful
    there is no way to know if this is really junk otherwise

PS: these are NOT related to memory bad blocks at all, you cannot "delete" bad blocks. Invalid memory blocks just reduce the size of the available NAND ; They do not belong to the File System anymore (those are "lost" blocks) and certainly won't be listed as titles.

4. Robotic Earthlin
    OP

It would seem to me that if they're standard with all Wiis they shouldn't be listed as "unknown" though, right?

Some of the IDs are USBC (pretty sure this one is from an old USB loader forwarder), SSYQ, BDMJ, AWAD, BZKU, BCLA, SMXW, BWGL, and BJSB. I thought there might be some app to do it but if it has to be done manually then that's fine.

A few months ago I was also having issues with channels not installing properly and channels disappearing, which is another reason I suspect there may be leftover junk data. But I can take people's word for it if they're sure.

5. m00k

Newcomer m00k Advanced Member

United States
    if you used wad manager to install them then use it to uninstall them.
    select the wad on your sd in wadmanager 1.4 that you want to delete,
    select uninstall instead of install.

Run through everything you dont use anymore that you know you have installed and voila.

if wadmanager gives you errors it normaly means that you have already deleted that title.

worked for me.

6. Lexip;

Member Lexip; GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Sounds like you deleting the channels instead of using wad manager to uninstall them.

7. Robotic Earthlin
    OP

Yes, I know about the WAD uninstallation thing. I remembered people saying deleting channels was fine, so that's what I did. I now know I need to use WAD manager to uninstall them.

But none of that helped me because I didn't keep all the channel WADs that I ever used and don't know how to find the WADs that I did use.

8. Robotic Earthlin
    OP

So... would my best bet just be to install BootMii and do a NAND backup in case I mess something up, then delete whatever I think is junk?

9. Robotic Earthlin
    OP

I guess I'll give one more chance for an answer... >_>

I'll just do the BootMii thing if no one else replies.

10. Empyr69er

Member Empyr69er GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I would suggest installing BootMii as Boot2 and then doing a NAND dump. After you have done that, you are safe to tinker around.