Hardware Getting rid of cigarette smell?

YayMii

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey, I bought a (slightly used) mechanical keyboard off of Kijiji, but the previous owner was a smoker. The keyboard smells awful. Anybody know a quick way of getting rid of the smell? Thanks in advance.

Wombo Combo

That Ain't Falco
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dunk it in a gallon of febreze. I would wipe it down with disinfectant and then rub a rag with febreze on it not to damage the keyboard.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Someone on another board was asking this about used Transformers smelling of cigarette smoke. People suggested getting a large plastic tub w/lid and putting the items in there along with an open box of baking soda for a few days. After trying it the guy said it worked really well.

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
People use to say that rice is good to absorb humidity and coffee absorbs odors..

Never tried that, but you could open the keyboard up, put rice with coffee on it, and let it rest for a week..
It's worth a try I guess (even though it could smell a bit like coffee after :P )

Ah, and as tbgtbg said, soda absorbs odors too..

Smuff

Fossilized Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Keep a large "dog egg" on a dish next to the keyboard and I guaran-fucking-tee you won't notice the cigarette odour any longer.
My pleasure.

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
cleaning what you can see with rubbing alcohol and sealing the keyboard in a container/bag with loose baking soda, and finally letting it air out for an afternoon is the best option. you need to clean off the tar and remove the odour after to rid it of its smell.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a similar problem with some used Wii Remotes. What you want to do is regularly apply vinegar to the keyboard until the cigarette smell is permanently gone. It'll take a few applications.

"But Lacius, doesn't vinegar smell horrible?"

Yeah, but the vinegar smell is only temporary. The cigarette smell won't go away unless you do something about it.

YayMii

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was asking for a quick way of getting rid of the smell, so I don't think taking it apart would be very "quick".
But I'll give rubbing alcohol or vinegar a try.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was asking for a quick way of getting rid of the smell, so I don't think taking it apart would be very "quick".
But I'll give rubbing alcohol or vinegar a try.
Alcohol isn't going to do much good; vinegar breaks down the resin and tar causing the cigarette smell.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: :rofl2: