PS1/2 Getting raw PS1 saves from a real PS1 to work in ePSXe?

anthonyplep

(´ε` )
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Anyone who's savvy enough with this able to help me? No matter what I do, ePSXe205 is not reading the saves to my games. These games are dumped from my retail discs, and the memory card saves are dumped from my actual PS1 memory cards using uLaunchELF on my PS2. Here is my process so far:

• With FMCB v1.964 on my PS2, I copy my raw PS1 memory card saves to a flash drive using uLaunchELF 4.43a
  • I use PSXRC to convert the raw files to .mcs format
  • Using PSXGameEdit 1.60, I load all the files from my memory card into the program, and export the memory card into a .gme format
  • In ePSXe, I open Config>Memory Cards and load my .gme file as Memory Card 1
  • In ePSXe, I select File>Run BIOS, and while in the BIOS, I choose MEMORY CARD to verify that my save is there
  • I open the game of my choice only to see that there are no saves that the game loads or recognizes

This is the case for every game I've tried, on both PS1 memory cards that I own. My saves work on my real PS2 so it's unlikely they're corrupt or anything. Not sure if there's any rules against sharing save files but upon request I will send any and all files from both of my PS1 Memory Cards

There is no real reason in particular that I want to do this, but the idea of digitally preserving my games as well as my saved data to work in emulators seems neat to me. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know. Thanks :)

Reactions: zfreeman

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you try memory card rex? I can't recall the extension, but I have a tutorial on getting raw saves to work on the ps3. iirc, that's the program I use.

anthonyplep

(´ε` )
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
you try memory card rex? I can't recall the extension, but I have a tutorial on getting raw saves to work on the ps3. iirc, that's the program I use.
Just did while exploring possible alternatives. My belief is that these files needed to be saved as .mcr, which the other program I used didn't support that as a save extension. MemcardRex fortunately seems to, and all my saves seem to load ok in it, but in ePSXe I am greeted to nothing again

Necron

Lurking~
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
This was an interesting question, so I went ahead and tried. It's far more simpler than you think:

1) Copy your saves from your PS1 memory card to a usb (raw format)
2) Download and open the program MemcardRex 0.8
3) Once there, import a raw save (with the second icon from the right)
4) Save as mcr format

Tried with a Spyro 2 save and it worked.

Last edited by Necron,
Reactions: zfreeman

anthonyplep

(´ε` )
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
This was an interesting question, so I went ahead and tried. It's far more simpler than you think:

1) Copy your saves from your PS1 memory card to a usb (raw format)
2) Download and open the program MemcardRex 0.8
3) Once there, import a raw save (with the second icon from the left)
4) Save as mcr format

Tried with a Spyro 2 save and it worked.
Who knew that all it would take would be different program and different import method to do it. Tried it on my FFVII save and it worked right away. Used MemcardRex 1.6 but I imagine it would work well on any version of the program. Needless to say thank you for saving me from any future headaches, I appreciate the help

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't know that that would make a difference. I believe I uploaded the memory card rex that I used for the ps3, but I don't remember which version it is. I assume the same version works for both the emulator and the ps3.

anthonyplep

(´ε` )
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I didn't know that that would make a difference. I believe I uploaded the memory card rex that I used for the ps3, but I don't remember which version it is. I assume the same version works for both the emulator and the ps3.
There's an import raw option in the program, so my guess is that it looks for something specific with the file, since I couldn't even get the program to find the file unless I renamed it to what it was when I extracted it with uLaunchELF

Speaking of the PS3, if I wanted to say, convert these saves into the necessary PS3 format, I could then transfer them over to my PSP or Vita, correct? I seem to remember a transfer option to that extent on the PS3. I've also heard of CWCheat on the PSP working to just load a .mcr file which I'm gonna try also, but just curious

Necron

Lurking~
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
There's an import raw option in the program, so my guess is that it looks for something specific with the file, since I couldn't even get the program to find the file unless I renamed it to what it was when I extracted it with uLaunchELF

Speaking of the PS3, if I wanted to say, convert these saves into the necessary PS3 format, I could then transfer them over to my PSP or Vita, correct? I seem to remember a transfer option to that extent on the PS3. I've also heard of CWCheat on the PSP working to just load a .mcr file which I'm gonna try also, but just curious
I actually copied my Spyro 3 save from the PS3 to epsx. Just follow the same procedure and you'll be good to go

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

afaik, yes.

iirc, raw psx saves have SC at the beginning or the end of the file in hex. memory cards themselves are 16 blocks (128KBs) at 8KBs apiece. 15 of these can be used with a 16th being a table of contents.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16