Getting new laptop (will game with), budget of $1200-$1300

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by granville, Oct 2, 2010.

1. granville
    OP

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    I'm buying a new laptop. I was going to build a new PC (and probably will still do that eventually), but my life has taken a sudden change and demands portability. I want a laptop that can game decently enough but not break the bank too much. I've got some contenders so far, this Lenovo being probably the top contender-

lenovo IdeaPad Y560- $1,200
    - Intel Core i7-740QM @1.73GHz
    - 6GB DDR3 1066 memory
    - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730 (1GB dedicated VRAM)
    - 640GB hard drive (5400rpm)
    - Bluray combo drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834146850

I'm willing to listen to any advice about this laptop or others. Whichever one i go with though, the CPU type i'm looking for is a Core i series, and i need a dedicated GPU (no Intel crap). I intend to do some gaming with it, moderate to as heavy as i can get by with. I'm not in need of enthusiast settings at the highest resolutions, but average to fairly high in games would be nice. I also tend to do some emulation as well, specifically PS2, Gamecube, and Wii for the most powerful systems. That's another reason i chose the Core i series, these emulators favor those CPU's and can get away with a lower clock speed if you have them (making them hopefully playable on laptops). I don't expect to run every game at a perfect 60fps all the time, but most playable at 30 or over at high resolutions is my goal.

I am hoping this Lenovo is a good one to choose. It's well within my max price range and it has some pretty nice specs to boot. Bang for the buck IMO. Advice is appreciated, as long as it's within my target of $1200-$1300. And so far, i've yet to see any laptops really better for any more money than the one i've picked. Thanks in advance, i'll probably be ordering it within the day.

And if it turns out this laptop sucks, be gentle. I'm ok at picking out desktop components, but i have almost no experience in what the best laptop brands are. [​IMG]

2. Rasas

Banned Rasas Banned

United States
    Xoticpc, Tigerdirect and some local places might have some good deals.
    Damn nothing not even power notebooks has one in that price range.
    I honestly think that one is one of the best deals you could get. Most laptops go to 1300 and above when getting such a high level class 2 graphics card.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mobility-...30.23825.0.html

I doubt you want refurbished so I'll keep looking.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Laptop+...p;skuId=1257894

It is local about the same specs might work out. Going to keep looking.

Well besides refurbished and some other stuff I am having problems.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/7001...4_Notebook.html

3. granville
    OP

United States
    Is Lenovo a good enough brand? I know they used to be IBM, but not sure of their quality anymore. They seem popular, along with Asus. I'll probably go ahead with the one i chose, best bang for the buck i've seen.

4. Rasas

Banned Rasas Banned

United States
    From what I heard and seen it is a decent brand but considering newegg's service quality it probably shouldn't be that hard to return it if it is mest up.

I'm hoping to find you a decent deal but right now I just find cheaper or better refrubs and similar cost spec laptops.

http://www.frys.com/product/6273830?site=s...CH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

50 dollars more expensive and hard drive space and ram take a hit but the graphics card is way more powerful. Also the hard drive's rpm is higher.
    Also don't buy from fry's unless you have a local store there are a lot of horror stories.

Well, I tried and failed......

5. granville
    OP

United States
    I don't mind Fry's, i ordered a Toshiba laptop from them a few months ago (in a state where they had no store). I got it promptly and without hassle. Of course, i've never had to complain about it, so that could be the problem with them...

If this is the best deal and it's a decent brand, i'll go ahead and get the Lenovo. Graphics card isn't my priority. I don't need an ultra powerful one that will play Crysis at fullspeed at the highest settings. I'd rather have the extra HD space lol! Anything 25fps or higher in terms of framerate is perfectly playable for me in PC games.

Anyways, thanks for the suggestions, but it looks like i made a pretty good choice in terms of value. [​IMG]

6. Rasas

Banned Rasas Banned

United States
    Well the one your buying seems like a great deal. I checked over 30 websites and only came up with similar or refrubs.

7. I2aven's_Sag

Member I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

United States
    back to square one at any rate.

Dual > Quad for your purposes.
    At the moment there aren't many programs/games that are coded to make use of quad cores, especially for your uses.
    Video-Editing, Encoding, Decoding, Stress-Testing, these are some of the things that really make use of multiple-cores.

Otherwise the Lenovo looks like a great deal, what's the screen resolution? 1366 x 768
    -Frankly, I kinda feel that the relatively low-resolution of the laptop defeats the purpose of having a BR-Player, but that's just me.
    -Unless-, you just download and burn media from your laptop with the intent of watching it on a bigger screen *shrug*.

You will most likely need a new car charger, and if you're getting a laptop with a dedicated graphics card, you might want to consider getting a notebook cooler after a while too.
    (Depending on how you use it), and the cooling/exhaust design of the laptop and so on.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834146849

Here's another lenovo with an i5-Dual Core within your price range.
    It doesn't have as much RAM, but it does has a SSD (for the OS presumably). (500GB +32GB SSD)
    Core i5-460M Review (2.53-2.80 Dual Core).
    I believe it says it has a BD-Optical Drive too, but as I said before, 1368x768 Resolution, Kinda "so-so" to me, I'd just burn download/burn BR.
    Same 5730 nVidia Graphics, which should be more than enough for a 1368x768 resolution.

Both(Above/Below) laptop is $1099, the other 740QM is $1199. (The 740QM and the +140GB HDD).

Another Option / (Toshiba) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834214047 (Whether it would work with the car charger is unknown)(check that, if interested).
    Same processor as above (the 460M Dual Core), 6GB of RAM, a 640GB drive, nVidia 420M (Probably a little weaker). 420M Review
    -NO Blue-Ray

8. granville
    OP

United States
    I forgot to ask something else, it involves a car adapter. I bought this for my older Toshiba laptop-
    http://www.amazon.com/Charger-Toshiba-Sate...d/dp/B003H91HDU

Is that going to work with the laptop i'm looking at, or any of the others i'd consider? Or will i need an all new car adapter altogether?

And that laptop you suggested is way over my price. I don't want to spend anywhere over $1300. And i'd like to spend under that.

9. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    I suggest you get an HP Envy with that kind of budget.
    It has comparable specs (just no Blu-ray), and it looks freaking awesome too.
    Just note that many of the Lenovo and Acer laptops from Newegg have great specs but very shoddy screens (which is why they're inexpensive). The Envy has a beautiful screen (saw one up close at college).

Go to hp.com and you can customize it too, which means you can save money on stuff you don't need, like a huge hard drive. I recommend 7200 RPM over capacity anyday.

10. Kutxiii

Member Kutxiii GBAtemp Regular

Portugal
    Alienware M17X i7 920XM Extreme 4870 Xfire Blu-Ray

Alienware M17x Intel i7 920XM 32GHz ATI DUAL MODE TURBO 4870 XFire 960GB 4GB RAM HD! Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit BLU-RAY!

Para a venda é um Alienware M17x

Esta unidade apresenta o seguinte

Intel Core i7 920XM@20GHZ-32GHZ TURBO (processador mais rápido que você pode conseguir!!)
    nbsp; ATI Radeon HD4870 duas placas de vídeo no modo CROSSFIRE!
    4GB Dual Channel compartilhada DDR3 SDRAM!
    HARD DRIVE 960GB (640GB + 320GB)
    NEBULOSA EDIÇÃO ESPECIAL DE VERMELHO!
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bits w / Media Center
    17 "1920x1200 RGB LED HD 1200P HD Wide Screen LCD
    12 Battery Cell & A Adapter 220W C /
    Teclado totalmente iluminado com cores personalizáveis
    Placa de rede 80211N
    Adaptador Bluetooth Broadcomm
    BLU-RAY / DVD + RW / CD + RW (Queime seus próprios DVD's!)
    Suporte técnico gratuito por e-mail ou telefone para a configuração e otimização de seu sistema!
    Apenas removed from box para a configuração de otimização, e fotos!
    Inclui / Garantia Dell Alienware!

use a traductor in some words [​IMG]

11. I2aven's_Sag

United States
    that i7-940XM processor adds over a thousand dollars to the base price, which is already over his budget....alienware is the WORST Bang for Buck there is.
    No idea how much that is in Euro's, please make your own thread if you wish to discuss it. But that design is at least $2000 USD, Kutxii.

12. Kutxiii

Portugal
    how much cost in euros?

13. Kutxiii

Portugal

947,039 euros... damm i didn't saw that

14. murkurie

Member murkurie GBAtemp Fan

United States
    My mother, has a Lenovo laptop with a core i7 and 240m and it games great, so with that graphics card it will be fine, I would get it, the laptop is really sturdy, screen is great but loses it calibration and every week I need to recalibrate it, not really a negative, just a annoyance. don't except battery life, there more like desktop with builtin ups's
    I played Tales of Symphonia 2 on it, at 60FPS constantly, when I used a SSE 4.2 build of dolphin I grabbed off there forum.

but with that budget I really suggest looking at the Hp Envy Line,

I know it's out of your budget but, if you can afford it, I recommend this one

15. granville
    OP

United States
    Just bought the Lenovo, my gut wants it bad. Hope it does ok, can't have a new pc for quite a while lol! Thanks for all the advice, even if i didn't take it. [​IMG]

16. murkurie

Member murkurie GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Tell us how it runs when you get it, I'm in the market for a new gaming laptop, Don't forget to use Special Optimized builds of dolphin EMU, to take advantage of the i7

17. granville
    OP

United States
    Will do. If i can, i'll upload some videos of games (which i've never done before). If i have any power to spare, i'll record some Mario Galaxy! Hopefully it won't be overloaded with too much bloat so i don't have to reformat. [​IMG]

18. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    I've long since heard many critics turn their noses up at Lenovo. They don't put them on the same level as Dell (who are both revered for their cheap laptops and criticised for the sheer amount of corners they cut to get the price down that low), but they don't think much of them in any case. On the other hand, looking at the specs, it looks like a decent laptop. Upper-mid ranged CPU, mid-ranged GPU, and it should be able to handle games without any problems (maybe not maxed for the newer games, but you'll still get a good framerate).

When you use it, take care to note temperature ranges and locality (where the heat is coming from). If the heat isn't too high and spread out evenly, then you've got a laptop for your needs. If there's a small pocket of extreme heat (e.g. right where the GPU is) then you might want to consider getting someone to open it up and replace the thermal paste (if there is any - some laptops don't use any). That'll cut a good 2-10 degrees and make the system generally more happy.

19. I2aven's_Sag

United States
    Yeah, and be sure to try to use it on flat surfaces that allow ample heat dispersion from the exhaust vents. Otherwise, if you're going to be using it on non-flat surfaces for graphically intense purposes (where you know the heat won't disperse as effectively) it may be prudent to consider looking at a notebook cooler.

One of the advantages of the i7 line though is that is the dynamic overclocking via turbo-boost, it's also considerably more energy-efficient, then some of the earlier processors.

-With 6GB of RAM definitely make use of the Hibernation feature, you've got more than enough RAM/HDD space to spare, and it's a handy-on-the-go feature.

As for me and a future laptop, I'm hoping that this laptop will pan out until 2014/2015 when Rutger Moore's law's projected hardware evolution hits a plateau where it will take sometime to overcome the technological barriers on further hardware evolution.

Quad core is definitely future proof, the problem with hardware evolution, at least in my eyes is that software these days is rarely truly optimized for multiple core use.

20. falcon64z8

Member falcon64z8 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    To me I would have went with the core i7 processor for a $100 bucks more. It probably would be benefited for you in the long run. Then again, the SSD in the core i5 is very useful. Anyways, its mainly on the GPU that gaming matters so as both of them having 5730 you should be fine with what you have.