Getting new harddrive

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by notchristopher, Feb 26, 2009.

Feb 26, 2009

Getting new harddrive by notchristopher at 1:32 AM (762 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. notchristopher
    OP

Member notchristopher GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm upgrading to a 120gig harddrive for my Xbox. Only have a 10gig now and it's full. How do I get all my save games, DLC, movies and musice over to my new HDD? Any help/tips are appreciated.

2. Zenith94

Member Zenith94 1337 h4x0r f0r t3h w1nz

United States
    Can't you just use a flash usb drive?

3. ricky23i

Member ricky23i GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I think a transfer kit comes with the 120gb if bought in a retail store but you can call MS to get it.

4. velocity37

Member velocity37 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The easiest way is with the Microsoft migration kit. If you're buying a clone or making a BEVS 120GB, then you won't be getting one. If you know anyone with an in-warranty elite (even if they opened it, as M$ won't know), you could ask them nicely to call up Microsoft and get a free kit.

The way to do it without the kit is to hook the drive up to your PC via the sata interface directly on the hard drive (opening up the shell), or with an external connection tool (migration kit cable, Datel XSATA, etc.) From there, you can try copying over the files from the old partitions, and copying them over to the new ones. The programs that you do it with (xplorer360, XPort 360) have been known to hang on certain files though, so you'll have to be actively watching the progress, and dragging over a few folders at a time while identifying problematic files.

5. triassic911

Member triassic911 Burst Mode

United States
    I thought the retail 120gb drives come with the connectivity kit? My cousin bought a 120gb and it came with some disc and the cable and you have to use the disc to start the transfer process.