Hacking Getting ne PSP - just a few questions about CFW

herbal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I bought me a new PSP 3000.
(Well, it's not really new - it's used but this PSP is new for me.
wink.gif
)
It has OFW 6.31 installed according to the seller (it has not arrived yet).

So as I would like to put CFW on it I looked through quite a few threads from here and now I would like to ask if I got it all right:

- First I will check what motherboard it is by using PSPident (is it the same as PSP Module Checker mentioned in the Softmod FAQ here?).

- Then if PSPIdent says I can downgrade I will first update to 6.37, 6.38, or 6.39, then downgrade to 6.20 and install 6.20 PRO B8 afterwards, right?
Is this the most recent/best CFW available?

OR

- If it says that I cannot downgrade because the board is higher then 05G I have to update to OFW 6.39 and then to 6.39 PRO B8?
How performs 6.35 PRO-B3 compared to 6.39 PRO B8?

Any comments on this?

Thanks!

H.

RussiaSushi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as I know, there are no major differences between Pro B8 6.20, 6.35, and 6.39. All of these can be permanent if you want them to.
But since you said the firmware is 6.31, you probably can't downgrade and should just go with 6.39 Pro B8.
In my opinion, that is the best CFW next to 5.00 m33-6 (coming from a PSP 1000 user)

You should note that 6.39 Pro B8 is by default, temporary CFW, meaning that it will revert back to OFW every time you turn off your PSP. It's possible to make it permanent, but I don't think that works on PSP 3000's
unsure.gif

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
herbal said:
I bought me a new PSP 3000.
(Well, it's not really new - it's used but this PSP is new for me.
wink.gif
)
It has OFW 6.31 installed according to the seller (it has not arrived yet).

So as I would like to put CFW on it I looked through quite a few threads from here and now I would like to ask if I got it all right:

- First I will check what motherboard it is by using PSPident (is it the same as PSP Module Checker mentioned in the Softmod FAQ here?).
PSPident will only work on modded psp, so right now you can only use module checker

- Then if PSPIdent says I can downgrade I will first update to 6.37, 6.38, or 6.39, then downgrade to 6.20 and install 6.20 PRO B8 afterwards, right?
Is this the most recent/best CFW available?
Yes, update to 6.39 than downgrade to 6.20 and use 6.20 PRO-B

OR

- If it says that I cannot downgrade because the board is higher then 05G I have to update to OFW 6.39 and then to 6.39 PRO B8?
How performs 6.35 PRO-B3 compared to 6.39 PRO B8?

there's is no difference in performance, they all work the same

Any comments on this?

Thanks!

H.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Just update to 6.39 off the bat, run PRO B8, and check the Module in system info. Then if you really want to forgo the quick startup of initialising the softmod each time you can downgrade and go permanent, and if you're happy having a system that conceals content but has a 5 sec enable time then you can just stay where you are.

Personally i don't see why people go nuts over the permanent option.

herbal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
First of all, many thanks to you guys - your answers helped me a lot.

About the PSP:
Well the guy I bought the console from said that he updated it once and now he is on 6.31.
So I guess the PSP could have had 6.20 before the update (or 6.30), right?!

I will check the mobo and if it lets me downgrade to 6.20, which firmware would you guys choose?

RussiaSushi praised 6.39 Pro B8 even though it probably won't be permanent on 3000 models. Is it better than the permanent 6.20 PRO-B (for games, PSN and these great emulators like FBA4PSP, gpSP, etc.)?

I have no problem with a short enable time in case of a temporary CFW but if I can make it permanent without having any disadvantages (assuming that the PSP supports it) then of course I would choose to do so.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
The PRO firmwares are the same except that the 6.20 and 6.35 versions require version.txt to work wth Media Go. The only real difference is the implementation of the firmware, and the knock-on effects of that. So my Go which has the temporary version of PRO only appears to have my PSN games on it when someone powers it up. Then when i enable PRO everything appears. Inversely, if you use 6.20 then a load of exploits, syscalls and signing occurs on boot so that your PSP is ready from the off.

I like the elegance of the temp CFW. Lots of other people can't afford the 5 secs of launching a firmware.
wink.gif

herbal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
OK, thank you for the information.
I will probably receive the PSP early next week so in case I will encounter some problems I will report it here.

xtreme1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xist said:
The PRO firmwares are the same except that the 6.20 and 6.35 versions require version.txt to work wth Media Go. The only real difference is the implementation of the firmware, and the knock-on effects of that. So my Go which has the temporary version of PRO only appears to have my PSN games on it when someone powers it up. Then when i enable PRO everything appears. Inversely, if you use 6.20 then a load of exploits, syscalls and signing occurs on boot so that your PSP is ready from the off.

I like the elegance of the temp CFW. Lots of other people can't afford the 5 secs of launching a firmware.
wink.gif
Why would you anyone prefer the temp version? As a PSP 2k user I have stuck with 5.00 cfw but is there any actual advantage to temp? or do you simply prefer temp because its the only thing so far that works on PSPGo/3000?

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
It's not the only thing that works on the PSP Go and the 3000....6.20 PRO can be permanently patched to both. I prefer it on my Go because i have both legit PSN content and homebrew content and i like the separation, plus i still dislike the idea of system startup exploits on permanently brickable systems.

My PSP 1000 and 2000's are still on 5.00M33-6 but if ever update i'd probably pick a permanent patch for them because i'm more comfortable with the idea of it.

The permanence of a CFW, now they're so easily enabled (as opposed to the 5.03 GEN's and the eggsploit) is a very overrated thing.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
xtreme1 said:
xist said:

wink.gif
Why would you anyone prefer the temp version? As a PSP 2k user I have stuck with 5.00 cfw but is there any actual advantage to temp? or do you simply prefer temp because its the only thing so far that works on PSPGo/3000?
It's not that we prefer the temp it's just that is not disadvantaged compared to the perma in any important way.

Additionally, for the OP, upgrading from 6.31 to 6.39 for the temp hack is less of a hassle/risk than having to downgrade to 6.20 for the perma.

herbal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I received my PSP today (it arrived faster than expected). After having checked the board (4g) I decided to take the risk and to downgrade to 6.20.
Everything worked (and still works) fine on 6.20 B8 - thank you guys for all the input.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over