Getting my wisdom teeth taken out soon... Scared...

RebelX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh dear. Earlier this week my dentist suggested to my parents that a schedule be created to get my wisdom teeth removed.

Now I have never had any surgery, no injuries requiring me to go to the emergency room, no anesthetics, or anything. Also, I am completely terrified of needles! Every time I have to get my blood drawn or something I get REALLY nervous.

Anyways, what will it be like? What do they do to you? My dad works at the hospital that I'm getting them removed (he's an anesthetist there), so he scheduled my procedure with Dr. Park, a Korean. I am half Korean so I feel more comfortable having him do the procedure, and also because my dad says hes REALLY good, one of the best he's seen (he's seen a lot in his 40 years doing anesthesia).

Next week I will be going to a consultation with Dr. Park so he can examine the teeth and tell us when to come, I guess.

What I want to know is what's it gonna be like??? What's it like going to sleep with anesthesia? Please please tell me...

UPDATE: I just went to the consultation today and the doctor seems to be a pretty cool guy. I should be going in to get them removed sometime when I am on Thanksgiving Break. Whew, I have some time to relax... He said the procedure was that he was gonna use some laughing gas on me, then put me to sleep. Then in about an hour I should wake up all high and stuff and then I go home.

It doesn't sound too bad, can someone tell me what its like to be under laughing gas?
biggrin.gif

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh, I've had major teeth crap performed on me while I was awake...

Trust me, even if you're awake, you feel nothing. It just hurts a bit... once... only if your anesthetic is delivered by needle, but if you're going into sleep I'm assuming they're using gas, in that case, its all a matter of falling asleep, and then waking up, feeling a little strange, with nothing really hurting though.

Its nothing to be afraid of.

edit: oh yeah, don't argue with the dentist. if oyu think somethings gonna hurt, go thru with it, or else it will hurt more later.

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
"so he scheduled my procedure with Dr. Park, a Korean. I am half Korean so I feel more comfortable having him do the procedure"

I dont understand that comment at all? you think a dentist thats a diffrent race isn't as good or is going to hate you and fu** up your dentist procedure?

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
thegame07 said:
"so he scheduled my procedure with Dr. Park, a Korean. I am half Korean so I feel more comfortable having him do the procedure"

I dont understand that comment at all? you think a dentist thats a diffrent race isn't as good or is going to hate you and fu** up your dentist procedure?

Its just a comfort thing. It has nothing to do with racism. Koreans are something he is familiar with, and when you are familiar with something, it makes the thing you are afraid of less scary

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
science said:
thegame07 said:

Its just a comfort thing. It has nothing to do with racism. Koreans are something he is familiar with, and when you are familiar with something, it makes the thing you are afraid of less scary

I wasn't saying you where being racist m8
smile.gif
I just didn't understand why you thought that way and now you have explained it, I see
smile.gif
I hate dentist also and is the only thing that scares me really, good luck with it.

Sick Wario

Club Nintendo
Trophies
XP
Country
i only had 2 wisdom teeth removed, but can i suggest you be put under? when you wake up, you'll be so damn high it's amazing. the 2 hours after i left the dentist were a magical colorful wondrous blur

good luck

edit
and don't eat anything for a while after you're out because you'll just puke it up anyway since you swallow blood during the procedure.

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
thegame07 said:
science said:
thegame07 said:

I wasn't saying you where being racist m8
smile.gif
I just didn't understand why you thought that way and now you have explained it, I see
smile.gif
I hate dentist also and is the only thing that scares me really, good luck with it.

Not me, I'm not the one getting my teeth taken out!
laugh.gif

I was just explaining what I thought he meant lol

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I had mine taken out while I was awake.
Besides the initial shots, I didn't feel anything at all.

I was eating solid food later that day.

...but I'm going to go ahead and assume I'm one of the exceptions rather than a standard.

fenthwick

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've had four perfectly healthy teeth removed so I could get bracers. I got two shots with a needle before each time(I did it four times yes
ohmy.gif
) it all went good but on once I could feel anything I had a big pain. The dentist suggested everytime that I would go home and rest but I went to shool. On the last tooth they were about to pull out the shot didn't work that much but I didn't say anything so I was in pain for 5mins when they were twisting and pulling the tooth :x

I normally say no to painkillers if the dentists ask me if I want it. So when I had a hole I told them to drill in the tooth without a shot.

So if you can handle a little pain then you should be fine.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ask to be sedated you will not even know its done and it will be over in less than 5 minutes of being out!

there maby a little pain afterwards but thats normal just take painkillers you will hardly notice it
smile.gif

if your afraid of getting it done then ask to be knocked out its the best way and the FASTEST WAY .. when your awake you tend to try resist them taking them out so it will hurt more when you struggle /tense up without knowing yer even doing it due to the fear
frown.gif

megawalk

The Legendary SRW Addict
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just distract yourself concentrate because nothings bad gonna happen
atleast.. as far as i can think of.
i've had to pull out 2 of my teeth for making place for a bracer.
that didnt hurt a moment.
but i had a problem of
bwaathh fhaalciingg
fwaathh fhaaallcinngg
bad talking!
3 hours later still
and a half hour later finally over =.=
so that might get anoying.
but not to worry
smile.gif

Mars

Radioactive Propaganda Minister
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I haven't had wisdom teeth removed, however prior to braces I had four teeth removed. Other than the needle, I felt almost no pain, even after the numbness weared off.

RebelX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn, I wasn't expecting this many replies! Thank for telling me what it's like...

And to answer your question, whoever it was, about my doc being Korean, it is just a comfort thing like that other guy said. Plus like I said he is very good at his profession.

I hope I get put under to experience the "colors" lol

And to the last guy; straws? Don't use straws like in a drink? Why? PS I don't smoke

DemonaCosta

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Man getting my wisdom teeth taken out was a royal you know what.

It hurts like all hell, and then you have stiches in your mouth which have to be taken out when you go back and that's not exactlly a good thing depending on how well the stiches cooperate.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You don't want the sucking action from a drinking straw to disrupt the healing causing "dry socket." This might be paranoid but it's what I've heard, and the risk for dry socket is far too dire so I've heard.

Phillyman

Trophies
Website
www.gamingmagz.com
XP
Country
United States
Its horrible pain, the only worse pain I experience was being cut open with a scalpal with no numbing agent. Oh and if i told you where I was cut....you would faint!

My girl had 3 of hers removed a few months ago, she cried like a baby for 3 days straight, oh a quarter of a perk made her vomit.

Still have those perks too
laugh.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night