Getting my R4i-3ds SDHC (original) to work on 4.5 such that I can install CFW

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by andonuts, Nov 9, 2014.

1. andonuts
    OP

andonuts Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 9, 2014
    United States
    I have an old, piece of crap, original R4i-3ds. I know it's crap, but I'm pretty hyped by the development of CFW. I found this ancient thread, which speaks of a patch which may or may not get the card to work on Firmware 4.5. (There are some conflicting reports that this won't work for the chip to work on 5.0, but I only need it to work on 4.5-10U); as I understand it, this bypasses the software limitation put in the chip by the R4i-SDHC team. Unfortunately, the link is dead -- the file is supposed to be named "R4i SDHC 3DS 4.5 Card on 4.4 fix.rar," but filetrip reports file not found. I don't want to buy another card (I mean, I have an NDSL, I don't need one), and I don't want to buy a Gateway. So three things basically:

1. Does anyone have this file?
    2. Will this work?
    3. If this won't work, is there any other way to get the Palantine CFW without shelling out money for a decent card?

2. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I'm pretty sure there is no original R4i 3DS. :P
    By the way, that FileTrip download works just fine here. Scratch that, the file is corrupted.

3. andonuts
    OP

andonuts Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 9, 2014
    United States
    The cart is labeled R4i, with green text saying 3DS underneath. The card is made by R4i-sdhc. So what do I call the bloody thing: R4i-3ds-R3i-SDHC? I say original because theres a R4i-3ds, R4i-3ds-4.5, and a R4i-3ds-RTS (there might be more, but I dunno).

At any rate, whenever I try to click the download button for that file, I instead download a html file which says 404 - File not found.

4. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
  5. andonuts
    OP

andonuts Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 9, 2014
    United States
  6. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    hmmm i just had a look is your card marked "4.5" i think the update you where looking at only worked on the revised card

7. andonuts
    OP

andonuts Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 9, 2014
    United States
    Nope, and therein lies my problem. There is a software based block, put there by the a-holes at r4i-sdhc, that prevents me from upgrading.

8. CalebW

CalebW Fellow Temper

Jun 29, 2012
    United States
    I use to use the same card, but the when 4.5 came out they wanted me to purchase their new card instead of releasing a patch for the old one, so I purchased a DSTwo instead.

9. AmienZero

AmienZero Member

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2004
    Malaysia
    hey andonuts, i used to have the same problem like this. and i've tried searching through everywhere but no avail. but i went on reading back on what Yamagushi posted and realized this :

and i tried it and it works. now my r4i 3DS works again. but i can't try to install the CFW since my 3DS is 5.1E.