Getting my 360 soon, so I got some questions...

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by War, Dec 14, 2008.

Dec 14, 2008
  1. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    I'll get right to it, here are some of my questions:

-How do I get the NXE? Because my 360 is form April 08, so I'm pretty sure it doesn't come pre-installed...
    -I have a 60-ish dollar gift card for EB Games, what should I buy for my new 360? I was thinking either
    a) A guitar for Guitar Hero/Rockband. Although... I'm not sure, can you play Rockband with JUST a guitar? Or do you need all the other instruments too?
    b) Another controller, since my 360 will only come with one.
    c) Split it between a LIVE membership for 3 months or so and some Microsoft points
    -Another question, about how much stuff will fit in the 20Gb hard drive? How much space do games such as Mega Man 9 and Braid take up? What else do I need the space for other than arcade games and game saves and all that stuff?
    -Is it true that you can listen to music while playing games? (That sounds really awesome!) Do you need to store your mp3s in the hard drive or is there a different way? (Like loading them from a USB drive or something?)

I think that's about it for right now...

2. Rock Raiyu

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    1. Erm, I think you just download NXE..I might be wrong though. [​IMG]
    2. Well, if you intend to have friends over to play your 360 with you, then I'd probably get a 2nd controller. Otherwise I'd probably the guitar, I believe you can use them both on Guitar Hero and Rock Band.
    3. Not sure. (But prepare to start getting mad and cursing at the screen because Mega Man 9 is super hard >.>)
    4. I think you are talking about the PS3.

3. aZnXrAvEr

Member aZnXrAvEr GBAtemp Regular

United States
    1. you just have to turn on the xbox while it is connected to your internet. it will auto-update the system by itself.

2. if you want to get a guitar, get a wireless guitar hero guitar. a guitar hero guitar works for both rock band and guitar hero; a rock band guitar only works for rock band. and yes you can play rock band with just a guitar... you'll have to get the other instruments if you want to play those.

3. the arcade games don't take up much space. the hard drive can also be used for storing downloaded videos and stuff from the online marketplace.

4. yes, you can listen to your music while playing games. you cant store anything in the hard drive. you have to use an external usb drive or stream the music from your computer to the xbox.

4. Prime

Member Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    1) it will disconnect you and ask you to update

2) go for c) imo

3) You wont be able to fit alot of stuff in a 20GB. I don't know why you want a 20GB when the Pros come with 60GB. Arcade games varies in sizes. If you are wanting to take advantage of the option to install games onto the hard drive you will need a 60GB or even 120GB.

4) Dont listen to Raiyu245. Indeed you can listen to your music during playing games. Plug in a iPod or usb pen driv which contains music and you can control the music via the guide

5. Gaisuto

Former Staff Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

United States
    I've had a 20GB since 2007 and I've never filled it up. It's just if you're done with a demo then delete it. If you've downloaded videos and stuff, delete them if you haven't watched them in a while. Just delete what you don't use and you'll never fill up the 20GB.

6. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    I forgot to mention that I probably won't be downloading that many demo's, and definitely not videos. Also, I'm not gonna install any games to the hard drive for faster loading. That just seems like a waste of space to me.

Some new questions...
    -How much does Live cost?
    -I really, REALLY wanna try out the new RE5 demo... I know its not available anymore and I have to download it, but do I have to burn it to a DL DVD? Can it fit into a regular DVD?
    -I was on IRC and some guy kept telling me not to play backups online because he said I will get caught no matter what, and there's no way not to get caught. Is that true? Is it THAT unsafe?

7. martin88

Member martin88 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Get it on newsgroup. You can actually burn in on a CD. I did, and it works fine.

8. Prime

United Kingdom
    1: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_Live#Pri...d_subscriptions
    2: See martin88's answer
    3: Well that is kind of false, give the guy a slap for me. You will only get caught if your backups aren't stealthed (scene releases are usually) or you are playing a release which isn't out in retail yet. Just be sure not to play early releases online and check your iso's to see if they are stealthed.

9. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    So as long as I don't play an early dump and it says it's stealthed in the scene releases, there should be no reason for me to get caught, right? Because I always check that site that Martin showed me in my blog to see if it's stealthed and not nuked and whatnot.

10. Prime

United Kingdom
    Correct.

You'll be fine, Just always remember to check if they are stealthed (sites sometimes tells you but your better off checking using XDVDMULLETER or/and Schtrom360)

11. Hachibei

Member Hachibei GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Actually, you CAN store mp3s in the hard drive. You just gotta burn the mp3s onto a CD as a Music CD, and then rip the songs onto the hard drive. But with this method, you can't see song information (unless you go through each mp3 and manually add in the song name, artist, album, etc., which is a real pain unless you have the messenger keypad). The best way is to stream from your PC (Vista or XP Media Center Edition), because you can also use playlists created in Windows Media Player.

12. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    new question: Will not having a HDTV change my experience with the 360 a lot? Because I can't really afford a new TV at the moment, and only have a SDTV...

13. Prime

United Kingdom
    EDIT: Nevermind

14. R2DJ

Member R2DJ GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Most games use the 16:9 aspect ratio and if use a standard one, the picture would be "vertically squished". But if you set the 360 to display on Widescreen, it will take up the whole screen but it will look squished as well.

15. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    That doesn't sound too good D: I don't want my games to look bad just because of my TV :\

16. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    It won't look squished on a standard tv. If you're not playing on a 16:9 tv , the 360 will just add black bars at the top and bottom. It isn't squishing the picture , it's putting them there to keep the aspect correct. The only way you're going to end up with a dodgy pic is if you set the 360 to widescreen even though you're using a 4:3 tv.

17. WeaponXxX

Member WeaponXxX Too F'in Blonde

United States
    Just want to jump in here and say I take my 360 to hotels all the time which often have non HD TVs with the 4:3 ratio. What I do is use the original composite/component cable that came with my 360 and switch it to TV via the slider on the cable. Then go to setup, to display, and then properly setup my 360 so there are no bars while playing my games. The only two games you won't be able to play are Banjo & Kazoo: Nuts and bolts and Dead Rising due to very hard to read text.

18. jaxxster

Member jaxxster The Heretic

United Kingdom
    yeah, ive only got a normaly tv and dead rising was fucking hard to read the text. My 360 got banned but i never checked games and always played them online early. Planning on buying a new one soon tho.

19. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Aw, damn. :\ I was looking forward to Dead Rising... Well, I guess I'll download something else tonight then. I still really want COD4, but for some reason, I only found the torrent in very few places, and with about 6-8 seeds. Meh.

Thanks for all the answers, I'll see if I come up with more questions!