Emulation Getting Link Cable Emulation (LAN and Local Mode) working correctly in VBA-M 2.1.4 (Windows 10)

WarMasterXX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using VBA-M 2.1.4 on Windows 10 (as well as MacOS library computers) to emulate Super Street Fighter II Turbo Revival and Street Fighter Alpha 3 with the purpose of putting them on a thumb drive and playing them on any computer I have access to (mainly library computers). I do have two computers to test LAN Link Cable Mode on via WiFi. I'm able to connect the two computers within the emulator via the sever-client menu, but every time I try to start a VS game, it never starts up and says "The connection has been terminated". Can you guys help me fix this?

Also, since these are head-to-head fighting games, I'd also like to get Local Link Cable Mode working correctly as well. How do I go about it. I wanna be able to minimize the second player screen and only use the first player screen during VS games, and I want separate Player 1 and Player 2 controls.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure of the current network setups for the various link protocol stuff, and if it is like school computers in the past it might be rather locked down as well possibly at network level itself (though if it sees the other).

As far as local multiplayer. It is usually not that bad. You make sure the "pause when minimised/not active window" option is not selected and set up the controls of the player 2 emulator to be something else so they don't conflict (most will plug in a controller if they can't share a keyboard, though there are options for virtual keyboards if you absolutely must, though I don't know if they are portable and likely to work with locked down machines).

Also suggestion for a game if looking for action multiplayer. Look up the Turok game on GBA.

WarMasterXX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank You for the help.

Network: Library computers are nowhere near as locked down as school computers, believe me. I've gotten Super Street Fighter IV Taito Type X2 to run LAN multiplayer on library computers in the past, so that shouldn't be an issue...

Local Mode: I already tried what you suggested. Even when I set Player 2's controls to different keys, the Player 2 window still uses the Player 1 controls. Also, this: "every time I try to start a VS game, it never starts up and says 'The connection has been terminated'" happens even in Local Mode.

Game Suggestion: Even though I do like Turok, I'm more of a fighting game fanatic. I've already got my sights set on Tekken Advance as well as Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance + Tournament Edition in the future...

tastymeatball

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The Local Link Cable Mode seems to be not working at all in VBA-m. The only way I got two players connected on the same machine was over the loopback address (127.0.0.1). Just start 2 emulator windows and connect them before you load any game then it should work. But then the next problem arises. The button inputs on an inactive window aren't recognized so it's pointless to try play on the same machine.

WarMasterXX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry this post was so late, I kept forgetting about it until now. :P

I found another GBA emulator with Link Cable functionality called VBALink. It's an older emulator, but after having used it for months, I have to say it puts VBA-M to utter shame.

VBALink has both Local and LAN Mode for Link Cable emulation, and while I haven't tested the LAN side yet, I'm happy to say the Local Mode does EVERYTHING I wanted it to do! I can minimize the second player screen and only use the first player screen during VS games, and am able to separate Player 1 and Player 2 controls, which are both fully functional when focus is lost.

So screw VBA-M, I'm sticking with VBALink. The only thing that sucks about VBALink is that AFAIK it doesn't have a Mac version, so when I play at libraries I'll just have to stick with the Windows computers.

I'll post an update once I have time to test LAN Mode...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: What Network is it on? I wanna see what you guys are talking about. N What time frame is it on...