Homebrew Getting "Invalid DVD" message in FCE Ultra GX & Snes9X G

CIsor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Guys,

I'm tearing my hair out on this one, I really hope you can help me please.

Thanks for the info in the newbie thread but I think this warrants it's own so I can leave a resource for others to refer to. I've seen that a few people have had similar problems (although maybe not by the same cause)

The problem I'm having is that FCE Ultra GX, Snes9X GX and MPlayer CE can no longer read from DVD. Specifically the emulators give the error message "Invalid DVD" after the drive is heard spinning up. Mplayer, when trying to open file from Wii DVD, displays "Mounting DVD, please wait". Then goes to blank MPlayer background image.

I installed the 4.1 E update over the "Wii System Update" in the settings menu because I was too lazy to research it first and was in a hurry to use SDHC cards. Not a mistake I will be making if I have to buy a new (2nd hand eBay) wii! I believe I was runnng 3.3 E previously. I may however have previously updated to 3.4 E but I can't remember for sure.

I've tried removing DVDx using the BootMii installer. Still broken
Tried reinstalling through BootMii nistaller. Still Broken.
Tried burning a new DVD. Still broken.

I know I haven't tried a lot but I don't know what else to try. I would like to completely turn back the clock if possible and start from scratch? Is it possible to remove all the homebrew IOS and start again?

I really would appreciate any help or suggestions any one out there can give me!
If it can't be done then I will buy an old model from eBay I guess :-)

Here's hoping!
CIsor

NOTES ON MY SETUP:
The system update blanked my SD card. I restored this on the PC.
The ROMS DVD I had worked fine before the update.
Original Gamecube and Wii discs work fine. Backup Wii discs also work fine.
I have the Homebrew Channel installed which I installed using Twilight Hack.
I have BootMii installed as Boot2 but didn't really understand what it was for so didn't make a NAND dump prior to the update.
I have DVDx installed.
The Wii is chipped with D2Pro 9 wire.
EDIT: HackMii installer reports "Using IOS version: Installer: 34, HBC: 61, DVDX: 36"
-------------------------

Output from signCheck .csv (I don't really understand this!)
-------------------------------
CODESignCheck 0.3 aka /dev/nintystuff build report
Wii region Europe
Wii unique device id 44985382

IOS number "Trucha bug" "Flash access" "Boot2 access" "Usb2.0 IOS tree"

IOS254 (ver 3092) Enabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS61 (ver 4890) Enabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS60 (ver 6174) Enabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS55 (ver 5149) Enabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS53 (ver 5149) Enabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS38 (ver 3610) Enabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS37 (ver 3612) Enabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS36 (ver 3094) Enabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS35 (ver 3092) Enabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS34 (ver 3091) Enabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS33 (ver 2834) Enabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS31 (ver 3092) Enabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS28 (ver 1293) Enabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS22 (ver 780) Enabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS17 (ver 518) Enabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS14 (ver 263) Enabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS13 (ver 16) Enabled Disabled Disabled Disabled

illinialex24

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Now I haven't read anything but the title and the first line, and I am 90% sure of what your issue is.

You were 3. something I guess (EDIT, look back and verified yes so I'm right) and install DVDx and then updated. Well, the DVDx doesn't work for 4.0 if its the old one. Just delete the channel, get the Bootmii installer and reinstall DVDx and it will work fine. Basic and easy.

Enjoy
smile.gif

Oh and by the way, sign check doesn't matter for this because its the game running off an entire new IOS I believe that causes the issue, DVDx was meant for a certain IOS but when it upgraded to IOS60, we needed a new DVDx.

That is why they have a different one for 3.2 and 3.4 (this is totally unverified, I could be a smart idiot, this is just a hunch because I'm too lazy to verify it, but the previous data is good).

CIsor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks illiniale!

illinialex24 said:
I am 90% sure of what your issue is.

I like those odds
smile.gif

QUOTE(illinialex24 @ Jul 29 2009, 12:27 AM) Just delete the channel, get the Bootmii installer and reinstall DVDx and it will work fine. Basic and easy.

Ok, not entirely sure I understand. I don't have a DVD "channel" as such. Are you referring to a channel like "Mario Kart Channel", "Mii Channel" etc?

How would I go about deleting this channel if it is hidden in some way?

I have already tried uninstalling and reisntalling from the HackMii installer.

Thanks for your help

CIsor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank You for the info Lexip. Much appreciated. Loving the Avatar too :-)

Lexip; said:
DVDx installs as a hidden channel. You can use AnyTitle Deleter to delete it.

Ok, so I got "Informing Wii that I am God...Error! ES_Identify (ret=1017)" when I tried AnyTitleDeleter, so google searching took me to here. Then to a soft mod guide here.

I have:
removed bootmii from IOS and boot2
removed DVDx
Downgraded IOS35
installed cIOS38_rev14 as WAD
Used IOS Downgrader
Uninstalled reinstallled HBC
Used AnyTitleDeleter to remove DVDX
Added DVDX back in using HackMii installer.

IT STILL DOESN'T WORK THOUGH
frown.gif

Any more suggestions people?

How is "buy a new Wii" for a suggestion, or shouldn't this be necessary?

CIsor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Lexip; said:
Why would you ever remove bootmii? That has nothing to do with anything.
Why? Just to try
smile.gif
I saw it mentioned somewhere that it may affect installing one of the IOS. None of the normal fixes seemed to be working so I thought I'd give it a go!

Lexip; said:
Also since you have a cIOS, you could have just ran modded AnyTitle Deleter using ios249.http://www.mediafire.com/?rzdme2zyxnr
I'll know that for futre reference then, maybe I can helpsomeone else with that info. Thanks.

QUOTE(Lexip; @ Jul 29 2009, 07:35 PM)
As for DVDx, I have no idea.
ah, well. The hunt continues then!

It was mentioned on #wiihelp that it DVDx might not be compatible with 4.1, but I think there would be a few more people with issues out there if that was the case!

For the time being I can just use my 8GB SD instead I guess
frown.gif

Thanks for trying to help me, I appreciate it a great deal.

If anyone has any further thoughts or suggestions I'd be glad to try them .

Thank you!

CIsor

CIsor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
illinialex24 said:
Interesting, that doesn't make much sense. Can you try MPlayer CE with a DVD because that seemed to work for me after I did something identical.

Ok. Thanks. Will try that tomorrow when I get a chance.
Does MPlayer use the DVD drive differently to the emulators then?

I am finding this baffling!

CIsor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
CIsor said:
illinialex24 said:
Interesting, that doesn't make much sense. Can you try MPlayer CE with a DVD because that seemed to work for me after I did something identical.

Ok. Thanks. Will try that tomorrow when I get a chance.
Does MPlayer use the DVD drive differently to the emulators then?

I am finding this baffling!
Nope, no joy
frown.gif

MPlayer CE just says. "Mounting DVD, please wait" before returning to the DVD Menu. It does the same if I choose "Play DVD (libdvdnav)" not sure about the bit in brackets.

I'm guessing that it's just screwed. right?

illinialex24

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
First of all, bootmii is its installed as a boot2 replacement won't affect any of the IOS's. It loads before any IOS's do load so yeah, it won't affect it.

Next, so you did remove the channel manually or use AnyTitleDeleter and reinstall it?

Interesting, cause thats weird.

Have your tried any cIOS's because I doubt that would affect things but i know MPlayer CE likes IOS202 for USB 2.0 which also allows other stuff.

CIsor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, it is there as boot2. Ok, I'm learning more and more as I go :-)

I tried using the HackMii installer to delete it. This didnt change the problem at all. I then used AnyTitleDeleter but still it is the same.
frown.gif

To be honest, this is where my knowledge runs out. Is cIOS different to IOS? Custom IOS, is that right?
I think I have installed so many things from various people's suggestions it is hard to remember!

These are the options I get when I launch WAD Manager. Does this help answer? It doesn't include IOS202 I note! But I don't recall ever having installed this before.

IOS249
IOS250
IOS4
IOS9
IOS10
IOS11
IOS12
IOS13
IOS14
IOS15
IOS16
IOS17
IOS20
IOS21
IOS22
IOS28
IOS30
IOS31
IOS33
IOS34
IOS35
IOS36
IOS37
IOS38
IOS50
IOS51
IOS53
IOS55
IOS60
IOS61

CIsor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
illinialex24 said:
Try just deleting it from the Data Management channels thing, its what I did. It should have a "?" on the proper channel.

Not quite following you there. Do you mean under the normal Wii settings Data Management? It's not there. I've never seen any non game channel data visible in there. There are no channels represented by "?"

Sorry if I am being dumb
smile.gif

EDIT: HBC does appear in there. Sorry. I was thinking of the save data management screen. DVDx or "?" do not appear though

illinialex24

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
It should have a ? if DVDx is installed. Try using the Bootmii installer cause it should be off your Wii. AAlthough you wont see the channel on the Wii menu, it will have a ? or a few ??? for the channel in Data Management (where you delete some channels you can delete). If you dont see that (make sure it isnt to the page on the right, if you have a lot of channels installed), then its not installed. try using Bootmii and make sure you choose install DVDx.

Take me down to the paradise city where the grass is green and the girls are pretty.

Oooh yeah.

CIsor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
illinialex24 said:
It should have a ? if DVDx is installed. Try using the Bootmii installer cause it should be off your Wii. AAlthough you wont see the channel on the Wii menu, it will have a ? or a few ??? for the channel in Data Management (where you delete some channels you can delete). If you dont see that (make sure it isnt to the page on the right, if you have a lot of channels installed), then its not installed. try using Bootmii and make sure you choose install DVDx.

I'll give it another go when I get chance. Hopefully, this evening. Is it possible that something in the system menu update could have blocked DVDx installing but at the same time DVDx doesn't report an error on install?

QUOTE(illinialex24 @ Aug 1 2009, 07:12 PM) Take me down to the paradise city where the grass is green and the girls are pretty.

Oooh yeah.

#~# Oh won't you pleeeeeeeeeeease take me ho-wooooooh-mma! ~#~
laugh.gif

illinialex24

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Doubt it because I had to reinstall it on a 4.0/4.1 thing, although I do have cIOScorp and cIOS60BF installed. It should work fine though, just make sure you choose to instal that feature and it should work. Might be fixing cIOScorp soon.

Hooommmmeeee aaaaawwwwww yeeeeeaaaaaahhhhhh.

CIsor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, just done another install (the uninstall option was visible so the installer thought it was already there). The installer took a few seconds with the "......." progressing across the screen then declared "SUCCESS". I headed into the channel management screen and couldn't see any "?" :sigh:

illinialex24 said:
Doubt it because I had to reinstall it on a 4.0/4.1 thing, although I do have cIOScorp and cIOS60BF installed. It should work fine though, just make sure you choose to instal that feature and it should work. Might be fixing cIOScorp soon.
What are those "cIOS" bits? I'm not sure if I have those, would they have an effect on DVDx?

Do you have a link to installers for those or do you think they wouldn't be relevant to my problem?

QUOTE(illinialex24 @ Aug 3 2009, 02:28 PM) Hooommmmeeee aaaaawwwwww yeeeeeaaaaaahhhhhh.

Got to love the classics, even if they do lack a little something on the page
biggrin.gif

CIsor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
illinialex24 said:
They shouldn't but who knows, I dunno, try loading it again. Try loading a DVD from Mplayer CE
Looks like we're running low on ideas now!
Do you think the core of the issue is that DVDX is simply not being installed? Being blocked by something?

Where should I get those installers from?
I really appreciate all you've tried to help me but, if that doesn't work, any suggestions on where else I might get help?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: A PS3 pkg i downloaded