PS1/2 Getting games on the hard drive

BenRK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish google was more helpful. Anyway, I recently grabbed a cheap phat PS2 and a network adapter. I had some old PATA drives hanging around, so I figured I could use them. They fit just fine of course.

Anyway, how exactly am I supposed to get games installed to the hard drive? I would love to just boot games off of it rather then have it sit there being pointless. Everything I've found seems to be out of date or no help what so ever. SO! Can you guys help me out here?

I have a 160GB hard drive, Maxtor. A phat PS2 with free MCboot thing installed to a memory card. I DO have PS2 loader installed as well, but that doesn't help if I can't actually get games on there.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Plug drive into pc, Ide->usb adapter will work fine. Then use winhiip to transfer the games to it. If you have not already done so, it can also format the drive for you. I think there are some guides around for it, but you shouldn't really need one as it's pretty much, select drive->load image->transfer.

If you don't want to do that, you can transfer them over network using hdl_dumb. Open ps2 loader has network server built in. Set your network address, start the server. Connect to it using hdl_dumb and transfer the game across. This is much slower than direct connection though and takes around 50min for a full 4.37GB image.

BenRK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow... no way I can just rip games directly to my PS2, huh? I don't have an IDE to USB converter, all my external hard drives are SATA to USB. The second option sounds more appealing in terms of stuff I can do now, though it would require me dragging my PS2 over to my router, plug it in, and bla bla bla.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hdloader can rip from dvd, I don't think openps2loader can, but I haven't looked into it too much (my laser is pretty much dead). Format is the same though, so should be able to rip it with hdloader and then play with openps2loader. Ps2 lasers do have a tendency to die though, so I wouldn't recommend doing it. You're also restricted to original games and games from your region when ripping them like that.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ubisoft should #stopkillinggames ngl
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    sony should #stopkillinggames
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    they killed LittleBigPlanet online, which was the main core of every LBP game
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?