Hacking Getting back up and running after about a year..

darkomen64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
About 10 months ago or so.. my N3ds XL sprouted legs and wandered off... fast forward to about 2 week ago.. my long long N3ds XL was found.. apparently it walked to my parents house about 80 miles away... i think it was kidnapped by my son and abandoned at their house.. but my son says it wasnt him.. doesnt really matter i have it back.. =)

So i'm looking about getting it caught back up to speed.. heres where it sits now.. running Firmware 9.0.0-20U and Emunand GW3D 9.5.0-23U along with a red gateway card.. and i have Cubic Ninja (if it matters the firmware on the gateway is v3.2.1).. one hitch i might have (not sure if this matters or not) is that i installed the profile exploit for the Gateway card (where if your in sysnand you goto the profile in settings and it reboots into Emunand) for some reason i'm remembering something about this being permenate or something.. like the profile was set to be version 99.99.99 or something so it could not be updated again.. and i imagining this? could this be a issue trying to update to a CFW or something?

What would be my best course of action from where i am? Installing a CFW and just running everything from CIA files? updating to the newest version of gateway so i can still use the GW card? (i ahve 32gig cards in both the N3ds and he gateway card and i dont really care if i have to be limited to just using the sd in the DS for games

would i need to do some kind of hard reset to install a CFW? does the CFW just replace Emunand?
I'm not really worried about losing any save game data if that matters

Thanks for any help =)

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I would just update your GW3D emuNAND. But update your Gateway card first of course. Else I think you're good to go! But wait for people that has the card.

Ronhero

Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Lots have changed since you were gone. If you update the launcher you can update emunand to 10.6. You should also look into creating menuhax to autoboot so you can avoid the ds profile hack

Reactions: zoogie

darkomen64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lots have changed since you were gone. If you update the launcher you can update emunand to 10.6. You should also look into creating menuhax to autoboot so you can avoid the ds profile hack

ok i'll look up to see about doing that... is the profile hack that i have in there now something i need to be concerned about? can it be removed/restored to stock?

and you said lots has changed, will i basically be caught up on the software side of things (as appose to having knowledge of whats going on) once i have updated the launcher and emunand?

Logan Pockrus

Knawledge is key.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok i'll look up to see about doing that... is the profile hack that i have in there now something i need to be concerned about? can it be removed/restored to stock?

and you said lots has changed, will i basically be caught up on the software side of things (as appose to having knowledge of whats going on) once i have updated the launcher and emunand?
Run *absolutely* anything in DS mode (i.e., original DS game, R4 Flashcart, etc.) and it will uninstall the profile exploit. It will leave you, however, with a downgraded system settings application on the home menu. The fix for this is quite simple; just find and download a system settings 9.X backup off of that ISO site, then run Gateway (or some other CFW) in SYSNAND mode, and run DevMenu, FBI, or NASA (I don't think any other CIA manager will work). From there, import the backup using DevMenu normally, or switch to "Destination: NAND" in FBI and install the backup, or switch off safety mode in NASA and select the destination as NAND then install the backup.

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel at this point CFW is better than using gateway personally, GBA support and theyre being updated more frequently. I would switch to rxtools.

Logan Pockrus

Knawledge is key.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel at this point CFW is better than using gateway personally, GBA support and theyre being updated more frequently. I would switch to rxtools.
Me too, I personally use Arm9LoaderHax + AuReiNand, plus, when you're using the more recent Gateway firmwares, you'll play the fun game "Let's find out if my 3ds is surprise-bricked!" every single time you turn your 3ds on. Also, Gateway uses an absurd amount of battery while running. So yes, Gateway certainly isn't the way to go.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Me too, I personally use Arm9LoaderHax + AuReiNand, plus, when you're using the more recent Gateway firmwares, you'll play the fun game "Let's find out if my 3ds is surprise-bricked!" every single time you turn your 3ds on. Also, Gateway uses an absurd amount of battery while running. So yes, Gateway certainly isn't the way to go.
Except if you want to use cheats. Gateway makes it super easy. Don't throw away your Gateway card just yet!

Logan Pockrus

Knawledge is key.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Except if you want to use cheats. Gateway makes it super easy. Don't throw away your Gateway card just yet!
True! I wouldn't throw my Gateway card away any time soon, Gateway mode does have some advantages (such as the ability to press select and open up a menu filled with all of your games without needing to use so much space on your SD card).

Ronhero

Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
I use cfw now and have my dstwo for all my gba / dsi / emu. Gw I still use for legacy games I no longer play on the red card and cia cheating. It's also how I install fbi on new consoles.

If dstwo+ added .3dsx support it would be cool to have that dual boot ability

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkYA4rALqEE