SavageWaffle

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yea well in 7 months it will officially be my birthday. I already have plans for it. Since my last birthday i got an Nintendo Wii, i decided to get a Xbox 360. But im not sure which one too get! I know there are like 3 different Xbox 360's currently, and the highest one is like $449.99 for an Xbox 360 Elite. Isnt that INSANE? I mean sure it has like GREAT graphics on games but, you can buy a used Laptop with that money! But i dont understand the difference between the Xbox 360(Like original) and the Xbox 360 Arcade. The Xbox 360 arcade is $279.99 which is still alot of money but the cheapest one. There is like a $120 difference between the Xbox 360 Arcade and the Xbox 360 normal. Sure the Xbox 360(normal) has some add-ons like Xbox Live Silver Membership thing, Headset, and a Networking cable. But really, with $120 you can buy like two of theses. And the arcade has 5 FREE GAMES included. So what if there classics? I mean i like classic games, brings back old memories! Like the first game invented, The Pong.

And whats the deal with the 120 GB Hard Drive? I mean whats the deal with it? What in the world are you going to do with a 120 GB Hard Drive?

And a question too all, What is the "Ring of Death" thing? I dont get it.

E/D/I/T/1
How long is the Silver Xbox live memebership?
Is the Xbox 360 worth it? I mean is it better then the PS3? I mean the PS3 is like $399! But has Blue-ray disc thing.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Okay. Get a 20gb, it will be enough for the medium gamer, if you don't want to download LOTS and LOTS of demos and have them on your HDD at the same time.

XBOX360s have the tendency to fail randomly and display the "Red Ring of Death".

Example: After 6-12 months... You play with your 360 everyday. Suddenly, a day, you power on your 360 and you get the Red Ring of Death. Your 360 is DEAD. The only thing to do is to send it back to Microsoft, or attempt to repair it yourself (but that will destroy your guarantee).

Newer 360 seem to don't have this problem, but who knows.

BTW, yay for 360 and HD-DVD.

SavageWaffle

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hmm so the Xbox 360 w/ 20 GB Hard Drive is like a medium? Cause i wont really download alot of demos anyway. But i checked on youtube, and there was something called "The Towel Trick for Xbox 360". Can this towel trick fix your Xbox from the Ring of Death?

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get the 349.99$ version. The arcade doesn't have any form of hard drive(only a memory card for game saves) which you will need if you want to do anything besides play games, like download demos or XBLA. Besides, there are 3 games you can download for free in the Marketplace(Hexic, Yaris, and Aegis Wing).

Plus the 349.99$ comes with 2 free RETAIL games, Forza Motorsport 2 and Marvel Ultimate Alliance, and the Arcade only comes with free Arcade games.

(Also a hard drive allows for backwards compatibility, and game preloading so load times are faster)

SavageWaffle

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Oh, the official site didnt tell me it came with 2 free retail games! Is Forza Motorsport 2 and Marvel :Ultimate Alliance a good game too start off with? I mean i was going to buy Gears of War with my 360.

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hmm so the Xbox 360 w/ 20 GB Hard Drive is like a medium? Cause i wont really download alot of demos anyway. But i checked on youtube, and there was something called "The Towel Trick for Xbox 360". Can this towel trick fix your Xbox from the Ring of Death?
It's crap. Tried it 4 or 5 times...
tongue.gif
I had to open the 360, to fix it...
wink.gif

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, the official site didnt tell me it came with 2 free retail games! Is Forza Motorsport 2 and Marvel :Ultimate Alliance a good game too start off with? I mean i was going to buy Gears of War with my 360.
Forza Motorsport is a great racing game, Marvel I didn't really like, its a brawler adventure type game.

Even if it didn't come with two games, you'll still regret in the future getting a hard-driveless xbox. Also you said you get "not a lot of demos" but you wont be able to even download one with the arcade, pretty much. Gears of War, after patches and maps(which you'll need to play online), takes about 329MB to save, Forza takes 184MB to save, and Halo takes 14MB to save. But these are all after patches and downloaded content(except Halo, I haven't downloaded the optional map pack since you have to pay for it)

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So you have to manully fix it?

Yeah. But to do so, you have to renounce to the Guarantee, so, if you still have it, it's better to contact Microsoft to get the 360 repaired by them. Better not to worry too much about it though, the new XBOX360s are said to be immune to this problem.

The HD is really useful, you can download Arcade Games (some are pretty good) XBOX1 games, and you can play original XBOX1 games thanks to the XBOX emulator which comes pre-installed on the HDD.

Also, you can download patches, new maps, new outfits and much other for games, so it's pretty handy to have one.

Hmm so i cant even PLAY Gears of war on the Xbox 360 Arcade?! Wow, yea im going with the Xbox 360 Original.

You can, but you have to buy a 512mb memory card, to fit the patched save file.

QUOTE(SavageWaffle @ Jan 26 2008, 07:21 PM)E/D/I/T/1
How long is the Silver Xbox live memebership?
Is the Xbox 360 worth it? I mean is it better then the PS3? I mean the PS3 is like $399! But has Blue-ray disc thing.
It is unlimited. But with XBOXLive Silver you can't play online. Blu-ray is pretty useless, in my opinion, and almost every single game that is on PS3 is also on XBOX360.

SavageWaffle

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Holy! So the xbox live silver is unlimited? Wow... I have a Original Xbox(NOT 360) will i be able to play like Halo 2 on it and go xbox live? Oh and which game is better in your opinion:
Gears of War
Call of Duty 4
Halo 3
Any other FPS games for Xbox

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, you wont be able to play online with Silver. But you'll be able to do everything else, like download things, voice chat, etc. Newegg.com has xbox live cards for 40$

I have both Gears and Halo, I'd say get Halo, then get Gears used later. The online on Gears is love it or hate it. I love it though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey