Getting a Wii U soon, questions about transferring from modded Wii

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by kyiori, Dec 1, 2013.

1. kyiori
    OP

kyiori Member

Newcomer
    Dec 20, 2008
    United States
    Hello, I've been around here since I found out about soft modding the Wii.

I have a soft modded Wii loaded with WADs, Homebrew Channel, the works. I figure I would avoid doing the system transfer that Nintendo has since I don't want some of those things being transferred. But, I would like to transfer only specific save files of games that I have. Would stripping the copy protection from games and copying the save file to the SD card be enough to transfer them over to the Wii U? I don't intend to mod the Wii U.

2. blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 6, 2012
    United States
    The official transfer tool does not allow you to pick and choose. It is safe however to use even on a modded Wii.

All your legitimate content will be transferred and all the other stuff will be left behind.

You should be able to transfer some saves with an SD card, but some games like Smash and Kart console lock the saves. I do not think you can transfer them to a non-modified Wii U without doing the official transfer process.

In addition, you can simply do a NAND dump before you do the official transfer. When it's done you can restore it to get all the stuff back the official transfer deleted. The only issue with this is accessing the Wii Shop channel on your old Wii after doing this will restore the DRM on purchased content that is officially moved and will disable it on the console it is not supposed to be on.

3. Pontes De Leon

Pontes De Leon Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 11, 2011
    United States
    I just got a Wii U. I have a soft modded Wii. I'd like to be able to copy all of my saves onto the Wii U and retain them on the Wii. This is so I could play SSBB and MKW on both the Wii and Wii U in different rooms. Is there no way to do this?

4. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Savegame Manager GX, that is all. At least I THINK it would work.