Gaming Getting a Vita with my Christmas money...

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would you guys like to recommend me some games? I have my eye on the MGS HD collection since I've yet to play a MGS game, but I'd like a few physical copies of games. Maybe Gravity Rush? That's pretty short from what I hear so I'll probably get it used. Unit 13 looked okay, but again that one probably will fit in under the "buy used" category. Soul Sacrifice seems legit so I may throw some cash down on the while I'm at Gamestop.

While I'm at it, I'm trying to decide how much memory I'll want. 4 GB is just way too low. 8 Seems too low. 16 seems like a good amount, but I have no idea how big downloads are and I plan to put a lot of music on it. 32 GB is extremely expensive, but I have money to burn.

EDIT: Oh, and Emigre will probably say Persona 4, and I'll likely agree. Just a heads up.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Start off with getting a PSPlus subscription, especially if you also have a PS3 - nothing beats free games on a monthly basis. Next up there's Virtue's Last Reward if you're a visual novel fan and enjoyed 999 on the DS. MGS HD Collection is quite a good buy as well, but only if you haven't played those games in their original form and don't have a PS2 - the pack doesn't bring much more new content. Next up there's Persona 4 Golden, but you already mention that yourself. Following that, Assassin's Creed: Liberation is quite an awesome-looking PSVita exclusive if you're in any way interested in stabbing people in the back. :P There's also Ragnarok Odyssey if you like the "Monster Hunting" genre at all. For all your "shooting other players in the face" needs, there are Call of Duty: BlackOps Declassified and Resistance: Burning Skies - not the best shooters overall, but certainly the best in a handheld format. If you enjoyed Super Smash Bros. Brawl, you should consider getting PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, which pits Sony-related characters in a similar fashion. If you like the standard fighting games though, have a look at Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 unless you already have it on another console. For racing games, I heard good things about Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing: Transformed which is practically Mario Kart a'la Sega, alternatively Need for Speed: Most Wanted if you haven't played it on a home console yet or enjoyed it to the point where you'd like to play it on a portable.

I specifically didn't mention any games available on PlayStation Plus, but if you're not getting it, Mortal Kombat is absolutely stellar, Gravity Rush/Daze is breathtaking and Uncharted: Golden Abyss can easily be considered a killer app for the system. There's also Wipeout 2048, but I'm not sure if it's still in the PSPlus section, I don't have access to the NA PSN Store so I can't tell. In any case, it's Wipeout - you either love it or hate it, I personally enjoyed the demo and plan on getting the full game eventually. :)

I also strongly suggest that you get the 32GB memory card - I have one myself and let me tell you, those cards fill up real quick. The average download is between 500MB and 2GB, the largest download right now (AFAIK) is Resistance: Burning Skies, weighing at 3GB. I absolutely hate switching memory cards so I chose the largest capacity Day 1 and I'm not regretting the decision - if I run out of games, I can always fill it with a gajizillion of Demo's as well as free content, of which there is plenty on the PSN Store. The cards are ungodly expensive, yes, but you only need one, so in the long run, it doesn't hurt your wallet that much.

Reactions: Sterling

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Foxi, I hadn't planned on putting money into PS Plus, but now I think I will. Virtue's Last Reward will be my first physical purchase, and MSG HD Collection will be my first download since I've yet to play any of them. Since I don't have a PS3 and I don't plan on getting one, I think I'll skip Uncharted. I hate racing games, and I did not like Assassin's Creed (sad I know. Declassified is shit, so that's a no go and I don't know how I feel about Battle Royal since I'm a Smash Bros. player myself. I think I'll be spending about 400 dollars on this purchase, and I can't wait for the inevitable hacks that I loved on the PSP. While I'm at it, do they off PSP games on the Playstation Store?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd really avoid the FPS games. Regardless of your tastes for the genre, a bad game is a bad game, and there's no denying that the games are crap. You're better off waiting for Killzone Mercenary if you want a FPS, or you can try sneaking Coded Arms or a PSP FPS on the system. Just my personal suggestions...
  • Buy a bundle. I'd go with the Asscreed one since the game itself is pretty fine and the white Vita is sexy. It comes with a 4GB card, I'll get on that later though.
  • Games wise, I moved my current Vita stack next to me and I'd suggest mostly all of it. Dynasty Warriors Next (for franchise fans only, everyone else might as well skip it), Uncharted: GA (you might as well buy Fight for Fortune as well, it's only $5), Lumines (it's got stellar replay value and fits the "high replay value puzzler" category that every handheld needs), and Mortal Kombat (graphics took quite a hit but it runs smoothly and it's got everything the main game has plus some bonus stuff). Even Unit 13 isn't bad if you want a shooter. There's a lot more on the market that looks good but I haven't tried it yet.
  • For the memory card, odds are any bundle you get will come with a 4GB one, but I'd suggest a bigger one if you're going Playstation Plus. However the smaller one is useful if you want to use another PSN account on the system (since they're tied to cards). Like if you wanna use a EU or JPN account or you can also use a buddy's PSN account if you want to get their crossplay games. I'm tempted to do that with my friend's sister and her copy of PASBR.
  • For your "main card", the biggest is always suggested, but $100+ for 32GB is outrageously expensive. I think 16GB would be fine tops, you could manage with 8GB as well. While PSP games are smaller, the 16GB internal on the PSP Go was absolutely ideal for me and with the rotation of PS+ games, it should be fine for a PS+ user. If you're really wanting to go all digital, then yeah, you'll want 32GB.
Overall, I think it's a stellar device. Even beyond gaming, it's almost as full-featured as a smartphone. Great Facebook app, great Youtube app, a decent web browser, and Netflix (the Netflix app isn't great but it plays all the videos and stuff fine so my only gripe with it is the clunky UI and the keyboard is also rather shit and not the standard Vita touchscreen board). Personally, I think it has a strong selection of games, and there's quite a bit to enjoy out there.

EDIT: If you have a PS3/Xbox 360 then I'd strongly advise against Metal Gear Solid HD on the Vita. The PS360 version of the game is just better. Looks better, runs better, controls better, and has Peace Walker included. I mean if you have no other options then the Vita version works well but you'll get a better deal on the PS360.

Reactions: Foxi4 and Sterling

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I'd actually prefer the black Vita instead of the white one. I mean, I'm just going to sell the Assassin's Creed game that came with it, so I might as well grab a GS referb (great return policies and my GS has awesome customer service) and the 32 GB card while I'm there. I think I'll pick up Lumines. I'm not a puzzle guy, but I could spend 3 plus hours in an incomplete Bejeweled game from the DSi shop. Are there any headsets that you guys would recommend?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are there any headsets that you guys would recommend?

You mean like mic/earphones combo or just headphones?

I never saw the need for a mic, the online gaming on the system isn't that big yet to really warrant voice chat. Or maybe I'm just antisocial, who knows.

Either way if you want a portable headset thing, the set that came with the Samsung Galaxy S3 have been what I'm using. They're actually quite good. They're like this.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean for Skype. I'm not really sure if I'll play online with this thing or not, but I will use it for Skype.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean for Skype. I'm not really sure if I'll play online with this thing or not, but I will use it for Skype.

Oh, either way, that headset seems solid. I haven't used it for voice chat but it's affordable and the sound quality is actually quite good. Also I think they're like tangle-resistant or something.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Are there any headsets that you guys would recommend?
I have a Samsung SBH170 and I can recommend it if you can get it cheap (I bought it for about $30). It can bit uncomfortable if you wear it all day long due to the sponge on the earpieces which quickly wears off, so do take breaks (I really need to replace mine, the stock ones are meh...). The sound quality is good considering the price, the buttons and the mic work. Technically any A2DP Bluetooth set should work just fine.

U3yot.jpg

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I went out and bought it. I went about 50 dollars over what I'd intended, but I like how it turned out.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Don't get AC Liberation, the game is just terrible, the storyline is a joke and the graphics look freaking shit in movement. A lot of horrible looking textures and so many jaggies in other parts of the game outside of the main beautiful looking town.

The rip off smash bros game also sucks. Not worth it. I deleted it off my SD card. :P

Uncharted golden abyss is way too short and has a of jaggies.

I'm having fun with Fifa 13 though, maybe cos I like football. :) Almost good graphics as the console versions.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm still wondering why people consider PSABR to be a Smash Bros. rip-off when it's just in the brawler genre - there's a gajizillion of games like it, especially in Japan.

Dream Mix TV, anyone?

Xarsah16

GBATemp's Official Village Dingus/Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
Don't get AC Liberation, the game is just terrible, the storyline is a joke and the graphics look freaking shit in movement. A lot of horrible looking textures and so many jaggies in other parts of the game outside of the main beautiful looking town.

The rip off smash bros game also sucks. Not worth it. I deleted it off my SD card. :P

Uncharted golden abyss is way too short and has a of jaggies.

I'm having fun with Fifa 13 though, maybe cos I like football. :) Almost good graphics as the console versions.

:wtf:, really? first negative review I've seen thus far on here for AC Liberation.... well it came free with my Vita bundle so I'll let everyone know what I think when I finally get around to playing it. :)

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Get a 16/32 Card cause there are gonna be plenty of F2P games for Vita(like Phantasy Star Online 2)
And about games hmmm... get Persona 4 and Virtues Last Reward.
Ohh and Sega All Star Racing Transformed, i had LOT OF FUN with the PC version(Prequel of Transformed)
These are definitely the best games on the Vita.

AceWarhead

"Must Construct Additional Pylons"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, PSABR is not really bad at all. All the negativity is just from butt-hurt Ninty fanboys yowling about how Sony is "Ripping off Super Smash Bros."
It's really fun and quite enjoyable.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll check it out, but TBH, I hated Brawl and solely play Melee. If it's anything close to Brawl I'll probably hate it.

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll just copy and paste my first impressions I wrote up a while after playing a bit of each game I bought.

Persona 4: The Golden: Fucking beautiful, an improvement on an already good formula with graphical updates, well-animated anime cutscenes, and pretty good voice acting for a localized title. 5/5

Little Big Planet: Definitely an improvement over the last handheld version of LBP due to the technical improvements. Full-fledged multiplayer and creation suites with interesting touchscreen/pad usage make it a pretty excellent title. Strong point in the series. 5/5

Gravity Rush: Holy fuckin' shit this game is amazing. Like woah. You fly around and do shit in this beautiful environment and do tasks for people. Everything's really stylized and it's kickass. I've played the most of this so far. Definitely my favorite. 5/5

Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation: Plays identically to a current-gen console version of Ass Creed. Controls nice, little to no lag, and generally well done. Not a lot of variation from previous titles though, and it's getting stale. 3/5

Touch My Katamari: The graphical style is just a bit too HD, and the king is now insanely creepy. The original creator's gotten less and less involved making for a monotonous, lifeless series that's just not good anymore. The new mechanics are nice but they even make the game feel less frantic. The king's face is now HD and realistic, but it's too far into the uncanny valley for me to enjoy a character I once loved, and with him being really prevalent, it's hard to enjoy the game. The touch controls are shoddy and the rear touchpad mechanics make it too easy to pick up a fuckton of objects in seconds. I just kind of wanted to stop playing and get back to better games. A huge disappointment. 1/5

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1