Getting a PSP, want to mod it. Should i try to find one with Serial Nu

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by mikej3131, Mar 31, 2008.

1. mikej3131
    OP

Newcomer mikej3131 Advanced Member

United States
    Hello,

Sorry ahead of time for all of the Noob question's i will be asking. I am getting a PSP for the first time and want to be able to mod it. I have read a bunch of forums and articles on the different ways. There seems to be a whoole lot of info so i cant really narrow it down to what i should do or how i should go about this. Can someone please let me know the easiest way of modding my new psp so i can play backups with the UMB and also get homebrew? I read that Pandora's battery is the easiest way but sony has come out with new models that blocks this and i should look for a psp with the searial number on the bottom of the box. is this True? Any info that narrows down the best option for me to mod my PSP and sums up PSP modding (the process, pros and cons, bricking) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. TheNeck

Member TheNeck GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Easiest way is pandora battery + magic memory stick.

Yes their is a newer model that stops you from creating a pandora battery on the newer model psps', but you can still use a pandora battery on the newer model to get a CFW on it.

3. Bob Evil

Member Bob Evil The Department of Home-Made Insecurity

United Kingdom
    Yep ... either buy a pandora battery, such as the Datel TOOL, or get someone with a modded, older, PSP to help you make one.

4. macgamer

Newcomer macgamer Advanced Member

United States
    I just got a used PSP Slim and want to put CFW on it. I don't have a PSP fat and would really like to avoid BUYING a Pandora battery. I have the battery that came with the slim, but it was made in Japan. Do I have any options but buying the battery?

5. Tanas

Member Tanas GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    macgamer, the made in Japan battery that came with your psp can easily be change into a pandora battery.

6. perimbean

Member perimbean GBAtemp Regular

Singapore
    [​IMG]
    A word of advice:
    Before you attempt to modify/upgrade the firmware of the machine.
    It's a good practice to have a good backup of the nand of your PSP Slim (>64MB).

Cheers!

7. mikej3131
    OP

United States
    How do i backup the nand? And anyway, since im going to be using the Pandora method, then why would i need to make a backup of the nand (wouldnt using the pandora method be Soft modding and it wouldnt break the psp.. and i also can unbrick it with the pandora) correct?

8. mikej3131
    OP

United States
    Where is a reputable source to get a Datel Tool battery? Is a Datel Tool battery exactly like a Pandora battery?

9. Tanas

Member Tanas GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    mikej, when you finally get your hands on a pandora battery and magic memory stick, there will be an option on the magic memory stick that allows you to dump the nand. And for the Datel battery service tool, you can order it from Datels main site, here. http://us.codejunkies.com/search.aspx?keyword=tool

10. mikej3131
    OP

United States
    what is "max power"???? is it still made by Datel and is the original Datel Tool battery?

and im guessing i should get the one that says PSP Max Power tool "Slim".... Is one for the slim and the other for the phat psp?

11. IBNobody

Member IBNobody I try to keep myself amused.

United States
    You don't need a datel battery.
    You don't need another PSP.

You can just pick up any official Sony battery, open it up, and physically cut traces, add a jumper wire, or clip an IC leg to make a Pandora battery.

There are many guides out there on how to do this.

The battery needs to be official, though. Don't buy anything off eBay.

12. mikej3131
    OP

United States
    id rather not do that myself.

what is "max power"???? is it still made by Datel and is the original Datel Tool battery?

When i get this datel tool battery and "battery service tool", is that all i need???

13. myuusmeow

Member myuusmeow GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Just get the Datel Tool Battery and a MemoryStick bigger than 64MB (don't worry, you can use it as your main one later). Then just follow ediblebird's guide after the making the battery part.