Getting a PSP - Questions!

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by MaHe, Mar 2, 2007.

Mar 2, 2007

Getting a PSP - Questions! by MaHe at 11:49 AM (3,187 Views / 0 Likes) 31 replies

1. MaHe
    OP

Member MaHe one lazy schmo

Slovenia
    I've decided to get myself a PSP next week, but now I have a question concerning ISOs.
    Let's say I've got a full-sized, 'clean' ISO.

How do I trim it?
    And how do I convert it to CSO?
    Also, is there a good PSP release list (something like GBAtemp's)?

The problem is, some ISOs floating around trim (for example GTA) music from the game (very annoying) or remove videos, etc.
    That's why I want to trim ISOs on my own. Help!

Thanks.

2. tama_mog

Member tama_mog Kupo

United States
    Trim it? You can remove padding files and the update from games with umdgen. Convert to ciso? Do a search, there are literally about a 100 converters with guis now for converting to cso. A good release list is www.advanscene.com where you can dupecheck your isos.

www.maxconsole.net
    www.psp-hacks.com

These 2 sites are the only 2 sites you need for information and firmware. Search button goes a long way in understanding.

3. thegame07

Member thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    yeah theres loads of them. there very easy to use. What size of memory stick are you getting.

4. miniCooperS

Member miniCooperS Advanced Member

United States
    Having isos or cisos won't do you much good unless you're able to downgrade your psp. Just make sure to do your research on downgrading. If I recall, all firmwares of new psps can be downgraded, but I'm not 100% sure, as I bought mine on launch day and never updated.

5. ShadowXP

Member ShadowXP ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

United Kingdom
    First of all what you're talking about is not trimming, it's ripping. Trimming is removing access data from a file and is more popular in the NDS/GBA scene, whilst ripping is removing large portions of data e.g. music, movies, sound etc.

The tool I use for compressing ISOs (you very rarely trim an ISO - you compress it instead) is PSP ISO Compression Tool by danny_kay1710. You should be able to find it here.

Hope this helps [​IMG]

Edit: Forgot to mention, PSP ISO Compression Tool can convert to CSO and DAX, too!

6. thegame07

United Kingdom
    310 can not be downgraded i believe. Also you need a unpatched gta to downgrade in some cases.

7. tama_mog

Member tama_mog Kupo

United States
    Actually, if you're just using umdgen to take out padding files and the useless sony update....then it is trimming...but the term ripping does seems more applicable here. However, to really take down the sizing of games you'd have to rip out the movies and perhaps relink sounds....if you don't know what you're doing you're better off searching for ripkits instead if you want to go this route.

8. MaHe
    OP

Slovenia
    PSP sales here are so bad I can still probably get at least a 2.71 unit. [​IMG]

9. thegame07

United Kingdom
    they are not that bad. 2.7 where out ages ago [​IMG]

10. ShadowXP

Member ShadowXP ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

United Kingdom
    2.71 is the ideal firmware to downgrade so if you can get that you're pretty good to go [​IMG]

11. MaHe
    OP

Slovenia
    Well, seems like umdgen does what I need. Actually that's what I meant by trimming, sorry. [​IMG]
    Thanks for the info! [​IMG]

12. thegame07

United Kingdom
    once i went to a game shop and picked up a psp game (i cant remember what one it was) When i got to the counter i asked a young girl if she knew what update version was needed to play the game. Then all of a sudden the man who was working beside her cut out conversation short and said "he only wants to know that so he can keep playing illegal copys of games" i then said back very angrily "Have you ever heard of homebrew and also why do you think im buying a game. should i just go home and download it. If you have never even heard of homebrew i dont know why you work in a game shop" Then i put the game back and walked out. So watch out you might get soe jackasses it dont tell you what psp version they are selling.

13. MaHe
    OP

Slovenia
    Well, they don't even know what GameCube is over here. Ignorance is bliss ... at least for customers. [​IMG] (you can brick your FW and they won't care and immediately replace it).

14. shaffaaf27

Member shaffaaf27 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    i bought one in argos a few weeks ago with 2.71.... it was the last of the christmas shipping, so i am guessinng they have 3.0+ now.

PS what are ripkits. when ever i search it, it comes out with files at maxconcole not what they are.

15. moshii

Member moshii GBAtemp Regular

Japan

Yeah, right. Your logic is totally screwed. Let's face it.. if you really were into the homebrew scene you would have devhook setup with all the firmware versions you need to run that game, so you wouldn't need to ask. And aside from that why should people in game shops give a shit about homebrew? They don't sell it, it's not their problem... And you expect them to go around checking all the PSP games for which firmware version they require?? If you have special needs you should get your arse on google and check before you walk into the shop and start spouting crap.

16. moshii

Member moshii GBAtemp Regular

Japan

Probably older stock... but the PSP + Game packs (e.g. PSP + Sims) seem to still be shipping with 2.71, the disadvantage of this is that you don't get any of the accessories. You can tell what firmware version is inside the box from letters on the outside. google it [​IMG]
    I wouldn't bother with ripping games, just get on Ebay and get a 4GB memory stick for 30 quid.

17. tama_mog

Member tama_mog Kupo

United States
    Rip kits are basically execution or batch files that automatically patch your iso for you. It's patching to rip out features certain people might not care about to save space (aka fit more games on a stick or if you have a 1gb or less memory stick). For example, you'll see a ripkit that relinked movies (ripped them out), relinked sounds (ripped them out or uses the same sound as another track)....etc etc. All this saves space and some people who wants to just play the game might not care for the cinemas so a full iso with the movies doesn't make sense if it's another 500+mb.

18. shaffaaf27

United Kingdom
    thanks.

well my tekken umd rip is 1.2GB, so i could use a rip kit. i couldnt care about the movies.

19. MaHe
    OP

Slovenia
    Another thing - I'm travelling to London on 21st, I wonder if "Passport to London" is any good?

20. shaffaaf27

United Kingdom
    its meant to be vvery good, but i wouldnt know seeing as i live in it. i dont need a map.