getting a psp and need help

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Knab, May 30, 2007.

May 30, 2007

getting a psp and need help by Knab at 1:02 AM (803 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. Knab
    OP

Member Knab GBAtemp Fan

United States
    i was thinking about getting a psp recently and i was wondering what i would need to make it beable to play backups and roms?

i figured i would ask on one of my favorite site(here) lol

2. Xeijin

Member Xeijin GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Traitor [​IMG]

Well you'd be best finding a v. 1.5 PSP, I'm not sure what the current status is with downgraders, last I heard some FW versions couldnt be downgraded so if you've got a friend selling one or something that'd probably be best.

Once you've got your hands on a v1.5, you'll want to flash it with Dark_Alex's latest 'Open Edition' firmware, which is basically the features of the latest firmware, but still letting you run homebrew/backups etc.

For playing actual backups, its all done of a Memory Stick. So get one as big as you can (ideally a 4GB but nothing less than a 1GB), the bigger the stick the more games you can fit in, google should get you all the programs you need to get it working.

Also they have that popstation thing which I believe is a reverse engineered version of the engine that Sony 're-released' some playstation games on, and is probably worth more than most of the PSP games put together. In essence it allows you to play your old PSX games on your PSP, defo worth getting.

Do a bit of research, don't think it'll be too hard to find the stuff your after. Google is your friend!

3. Knab
    OP

Member Knab GBAtemp Fan

United States
    not a traitor i just wanted to play my favorite old PSX games on the go lol i still like my ds lol

and thanks for the info

4. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I just got mine for the same reason. I'd recommend ebaying a 1.5 firmware. I did a manual upgrade, without installers or anything and it was easy enough. I don't think you'd want to chance it by buying at a retail store. I'm going to attempt to buy MGS: Portable Ops. I heard it's worth the money.

5. CJL18

Member CJL18 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    well i got my 2.71 Ta-082 motherboard psp to 3.40 OEA custom Firmware, but i bricked my first one, but that s because i was stupid and didnt do any research before downgrading [​IMG]

6. superkyre

Newcomer superkyre Member

Philippines
    Since you just want to play PSX games, why not get a Playstation emulator like ePSXe? I mean, it's free. And it works. Or if you want real classics, get MAME.

7. MC DUI

Member MC DUI GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    Depends on if he wants his PSX emulation to be portable or not.

8. shaffaaf27

Member shaffaaf27 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    you can get any FW until 2.71 to downgrade w/o gta LCS (2.0 update (unpatched)), or upto 3.03 but you need gta lcs with a 2.0 update to downgrade to 1.5

than upgrade to the holy grail of FW, the OE FW.

9. shaffaaf27

Member shaffaaf27 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    SORRY DOUBLE POST