getting a premod 360

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by jalaneme, Dec 8, 2008.

Dec 8, 2008

getting a premod 360 by jalaneme at 10:33 AM (1,492 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. jalaneme
    OP

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    i am thinking of getting a premod 360, i've never owned a xbox 360 so i would like to know a few questions about what model to get and what i can and cannot do with it.

*is a 60gb model enough, does the games you play install game data like the PS3? or is it just used for gamesaves?
    *is in game music used for all games? i heard this was the case.
    *do the games have updates on them like the wii, if they do is there a way to remove them for the discs?
    * is the xbox 360 fussy as to what media it can and cannot read like the old xbox 1?
    *how easy is it to connect a ipod classic to your 360? will i be able to play music ingame from my ipod? or do i have to extract the music files to my hard drive first?
    *can you install themes on a 360?
    *can you upgrade the ixtreme firmware updates yourself via usb?, or do you have to flash the disc drive each time to do that?
    * can i play fine on my xbox 360 without live? i do not wish to pay for online service.
    *as i will not be getting live, would i still be able to recive game updates for bugs and such or is there a way to install a bug update yourself?
    *can you install game demos via usb, or do you have to burn them on a dvd9 to play them?
    *do games automatically go online or search for online once you insert the game disc in?
    *is it a good idea to not buy a xbox 360 that does not have a falcon motherboard?

i will be buying insurance for my 360 just incase anything happens to it, i think that's is everything i need to know about it, if there is anything else anyone wants to tell me that i have missed please post, thanks.

2. lakaiskateboarding

Member lakaiskateboarding GBAtemp Regular

Allright this is what a modded 360 can do:
    It can only play backups of its own region or region free. Updates can't be removed. Updating your Ixtreme firmware goes via Sata, if you want to flash it, you will have to open your 360 or make an external Sata adapter.

The Xbox 360 isn't even close to ever being hacked completely.

My 360 isn't picky at all, I use cheap mediarange dvd9's, but Verbatim will always do.

And yes it is best to get a Xbox 360 Falcon or even a newer Jasper version. The old ones will definitely fail after some time, it could be a year it could be four years, but it will fail. Falcon and Jasper are much better.

You don't have to pre-install stuff on your HD before being able to play a game. Keep in mind, not every Xbox has a HD.

If you don't have Live you won't be able to download any patches for games. Well there is a way to open your hard drive and attachi it to your pc and copy files from other 360's to it. But I don't think you can find game patches. Only the media player update.

3. MiloFoxburr

Member MiloFoxburr GBAtemp Regular

Ireland
    1: Yeah it's enough. Games do not install data like the PS3 however you can install the entire game to the hard drive (In approx 10 minutes) to reduce loading. You still need the original disc in the drive to play still though for obvious reasons.
    2: If you mean using your own music then yeah you can do that in every game.
    3: 360 is only updated about twice a year (With big updates and maybe 1 or 2 smaller ones). You cannot modify a 360 ISO to remove the update but it doesn't matter really the way it would on the Wii.
    4: Afaik it plays more media than an unmodded Xbox 1 would play including Divx. There are numerous streaming media server apps that work with the 360 to let it play the rest.
    5: There should be an iPod file on the marketplace that will let you play music from the Classic.
    6: Yes but not your own (Bar having one background picture). There are both free and paid Themes on the Marketplace.
    7: You have to open the 360 each time.
    8: Yes Live isn't a vital aspect for playing games. Just create an Xbox Live Silver account.
    9: I don't think you can get game updates any other way bar through Xbox Live. 360 Updates (The big ones) are available a few weeks after release on the Xbox site.
    10: You can burn Demos onto Standard DVD not sure about USB.
    11: Only if you are connected to Xbox Live. Its a seamless experience and you can only play Online portions of the Game with Xbox Live Gold.
    12: Best to get the newest Motherboard you can to minimise the risk of RROD just be sure to get a modifiable Drive. However since you are getting Insurance the RROD won't really affect you bar being without a 360 for a couple of weeks.

Think I got every question there lol

4. jalaneme
    OP

United Kingdom
    thank you for answering my questions so far.

5. lakaiskateboarding

Member lakaiskateboarding GBAtemp Regular

It won't brick your console. Your 360 recognizes games from other regions and it will say it can't play it. The 360 is not like the Wii, which is really badly programmed. The only sanction on having a modded 360 is being banned from Live, which happens if you don't stealth your games and maybe another reason we haven't found out. If you want on Live the best thing to do is just playing originals and never play early scene releases which could be bad and get you banned.

For the media, the 360 has many types of drives, the old ones are the pickiest. Benq is the best drive for media. If you are getting a new one which is premodded, it probably had a Lite-on. This one is umoddable at the moment, so it is replaced with another drive which can be modded. You probably get a Samsung or Hitachi, but these should just read cheaper media fine too, but I am not certain about it, cause I haven't tried.

6. MiloFoxburr

Ireland
    You can access the Marketplace with Xbox Live Silver. The only things Gold does is allow Online Play and Parties. You can do everything else with Silver (Which is free)

7. jinxvorheeze

Member jinxvorheeze GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I wouldn't buy a pre-mod that has a drive-swap in it. Especially if that drive was a lite-on originally. It is very easy to mod a 360 and finding them used is alot cheaper than finding them pre-modded. And one of the best ways to get banned is by using a drive-swap. The best being (as forementioned by 'danielkraak') not using stealth (or iXtreme) compatible backups.

That being said, I also would not buy a new 60GB model as it will have an unmoddable drive in it. Maybe check for an online retailer that still has overstock of 20GB models or old arcade units and then just buy the bigger HDD.

Your best case for the Xbox live situation is to just create a normal account in which you play all your games and have your saves and achievments, and create (once a month) a new account (which takes all of five minutes) a secondary Live account for use online. The 360 will automatically give you a free month of Xbox Live Gold for each new account created, so playing on live can be free, it just takes about 10 minutes a month to accomplish.

To play music from an ipod, all you have to do is plug it in. It will see it has a USB Mass Storage Device and read the music from it no problem. The 360 only needs the media update to play divx and some other types of video as well as some very obscure audio types. This media update is free to all xbox live members.

You cannot install game demo's via USB, but you don't need a DVD9 to burn them onto either. Usually a blank CD is the best media for a demo.

If you install the latest iXtreme firmware it will be a long while before an upgrade is necessary, but if you do wish to update at the next revision, then you will need to follow the very drive specific instructions on flashing your drive (which is connected through SATA, and cannot be done via USB). Drive updates are not common like updates for other consoles, and are only made about once a year.

There are title update packs available but you will have to have a Hard Drive Connectivity Kit in order to copy the files from your PC to the Hard Drive, this would allow you to update ga,es automatically without needing the internet. However, if you are connected to Xbox Live then games automatically check to see if a newer version is available for download. These updates are not firmware updates and are only loaded when that particular game is inserted, they do not effect the ability to play backups.

8. ganons

Member ganons GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    i have a liteon some guy said that Samsung is THE best drive to replace it with. Is it true?

9. MiloFoxburr

Ireland
    Wait for iXtreme 1.5 before you replace the drive. All spoofed Lite-ons are detectable atm.

10. ganons

United Kingdom
    will do, but what is the best drive at the moment?

11. jalaneme
    OP

United Kingdom
    only thing i am scared about buying a second hand xbox 360 is it has a higher chance of RRD or someone might sell me a banned console, i don't want to take that risk, i would have thought the person who would be modding my console, would be able to install a modable drive in it anyway, good idea about the xbox live though, would they be able to check your details to see if you registered again though? as they will ask for card payment details and if you give the same card details before they will not allow you to register again, also i would have thought buying a 60gb model would be a good idea as you would have to pay more buying a bigger hard drive, when you buy a console in a bundle you get a cheaper deal that way.

12. ganons

United Kingdom
    GAME have good offers on 60gb last time i checked

13. Bloodgod

Member Bloodgod 嵐の王

United States
    jalaneme mod your own. If a douche bag like me can do it. I'm pretty sure you can.

If it's stuff you get on the net it comes pre patched. IIRC if the game is not pre patched ixtreme refuses to run the game.

14. jalaneme
    OP

United Kingdom
    i ain't modding the console myself, i am paying for someone else to do it for me.