Getting a new xbox as backup (to flash)

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by The_Hulkster, Dec 18, 2009.

Dec 18, 2009
  1. The_Hulkster
    OP

Member The_Hulkster GBAtemp Regular

Hey there!

Well, I decided it might be a good idea to get another xbox as backup. Just in case the current one might break down or something.

I saw a good deal for an arcade with Banjo & Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts.
    Obviously I would like to flash the drive as I did with my current xbox. I own a probe and everything needed to flash it.
    But I'm not tech savvy enough for the new drives I think (haven't really mastered soldering yet)

So I'm looking for an xbox with a liteon drive that can still be flashed with the use of a probe and such.
    I know there are specific versions and manufacturing dates to look for but I'm not sure which. And I don't know where to look either on the packaging.

Googling did not help me find an answer to this question.

Anyway, hope someone can help me out with this [​IMG]

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    You should be able to see the sticker on the back of the 360 for manufacturing date- it is not a sure fire thing but it is the best we have.

The 84xxxxx v1 series appeared in late June and needs nothing more than a compatible sata card (the 7 series still needs a probe which you already have so no worries there).

The 8xxxxx v2 and 9 series appeared in late October and these are the ones that require the soldering and trace cutting.

Oh and picture you want to see:
    http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/9580/dsc04475n.jpg

3. The_Hulkster
    OP

Great! Thank you so much for the info!

So I should be looking for a box with a manufacturing date from before September or something?
    Are there any boxes still out there with a 84 v1 series or perhaps a 7 series?

Or are almost all of them 8 v2 and 9 series?

4. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    It has been a while since I or those I know have put feet on the ground looking for 360s (let alone trying it stateside) but pre August ones are in fair demand now as they have the possibility of running homebrew.
    Black Friday and Christmas shopping will likely have taken their toll on supplies but if you try some of the more offbeat shops you can probably still pick up an older model 360.

An interesting twist I read the other day was that apparently some of the home entertainment sections of shops that otherwise have games sections can stock older 360s, as I recall the thread said apparently they even had 2008 models which would be awesome with the new homebrew capabilities (hard drive loading, USB loading, XBLA stuff, game hacks, region free to name but a few things that already exist or will do in the near future).

5. The_Hulkster
    OP

Well, I found one in a store and asked them to hold it for me.

It was manufactured somewhere in April, late April. I take it this will still be able to get homebrew running?

Also, would it be possible to use the HDD from my previous xbox on the new one and just swap?
    I read something about corrupt gamertags or something. But what about gamesaves, DLC and such?

Because I also read somewhere that it's possible to just switch between boxes with the HDD...

Forums can be so confusing at times! [​IMG]
    Thank you for your help

6. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    Swapping: be careful as some games have updates including updates for the system menu (*punches wall yet again*).

Corrupt tags only happen with consoles banned in this wave that have not had the secdata.bin restored or fixed. Normally you can swap hard drives all day long.
    If you are already gearing up for homebrew and have a banned 360 in this state just uncripple it with the same kit you will use on the new one and you should be good.

April will probably still be a 7 series but that is OK according to you. Homebrew wise it should be good.