Getting a new laptop...

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Costello, Jun 10, 2008.

Jun 10, 2008

Getting a new laptop... by Costello at 6:18 PM (2,311 Views / 0 Likes) 22 replies

1. Costello
    OP

Administrator Costello Headmaster

Hello!

I'm buying a new laptop, as my current one is slowly dying and I'm gonna need a solid one for my travels next year.

I'm looking for a small laptop, strictly under 15" (14" or 13"3 only.. no smaller)
    My budget is 700 euro. I know it's limited, but I don't need a PC for gaming, just for work, internet stuff, movies...

I've found this one to be pretty good: TOSHIBA Satellite U400-11T
    - Pentium Dual Core T2370 1.73 GHz
    - 2 GB Ram
    - 160 GB SATA HDD
    - Intel GMA X1300 (like I said I don't care at all, I don't intend to play at all on this PC).
    - 13.3" Wide XGA TruBrite screen, 1280x800
    - HDMI port, thats a bonus
    - 1.3M webcam
    - decent battery life: 3h30
    plus classic stuff (card reader, wifi, dvd burner, usb2, ethernet, svideo output, expresscard)
    It's quite light overall, has got a great design, and it only costs 675 euro.

Should I go for it or am I missing much better?
    Like I said I don't wanna be spending more than 700 euro. Don't tell me about Dell: I've checked and the best offer they have for my requirements (my ultimate requirement being a small screen) is 830 euro. Also it's got a lot less features.

Thanks for your help [​IMG]

ps: I'll only be buying from european shops; first because I need an AZERTY keyboard, and also because the custom taxes are high coming from shops outside of europe.

2. comtois

Newcomer comtois Advanced Member

United States
    not sure what laptop prices are like in europe, but that seems high to me. i'm looking into getting a very similar laptop from circuit city for about $600 (about 400 euro).

this same laptop at circuit city is going for 549 euro.

i would say shop around some more and you're bound to find a better deal. also, if you get a laptop with an AMD processor instead of a Pentium, they tend to be cheaper.

edit: the laptop i thought was the same going for 549 euro is actually better. 1.83ghz dual core, 250gb hdd, but no hdmi.

3. Costello
    OP

well, prices in europe appear to be much higher..
    then again I can't buy from the US due to customs import taxes and QWERTY keyboard.

4. Agjsdfd

Member Agjsdfd My title

For 675 euro the toshiba one is not bad.
    You cant really get something better than that around the price you want from europe.

Ram, Harddrive, processor sounds OK.
    But the graphics card is not really a top one... maybe thats why the price is low.

5. Shuny

Member Shuny I'm in yr forum, reading yr postz

France
    For travelling, a laptop like the EEEPC is perfect.

6. Costello
    OP

I've had an EEE PC before, for 3 weeks... and.. no way! [​IMG]
    It's OK for quick travels but there's no way you can work with this tiny screen and keyboard and stuff.

I'll say it again... looking for screen sizes between 13 and 14"

7. comtois

Newcomer comtois Advanced Member

United States
    yeah, thought something like that might be going on.

anyway, my favorite laptops are lenovos and toshibas. i also like apples, but looks like you're not going down that road.

good luck!

8. Shuny

France
    'bjection.

I bought an EEEPC when I was at nyc and it was perfect for going on the net or writing some mails [​IMG]

Anyway maybe you should look at this Toshiba : http://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00066128.html

9. Costello
    OP

lol shuny, I said I want a 13 or 14" screen [​IMG]
    now, you don't understand: I need a laptop to WORK on.
    I'm a computer scientist, programmer, whatever you call it. There's NO WAY anyone can work on an EEE PC...

10. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    Well you could go 12". Our 'local' store (one of the main computer resellers in holland) had a nice MSI VR201 (I think it was). It was priced slightly higher then your requests though, 750. Specs in case you are wondering: 12.1" screen (not glossy), Pentium Dual Core t2330, 3 gigs mem, 160 gig HD, Bluetooth, win vista home premium, cardreader, 9cell battery, intel X3100, dvd rewriter and cardreader. Personally didn't go for 12" due to the size+price ratio together with the fact that I won't be going all over the place with my new baby [​IMG] (so I went for my new Asus F3SG - AP062C for only 652,50 euro). If you a little more expensive you could get the MSI PR200g (I think it was) for 850. But then again that (those MSI ones) is all under your size spec. I have to say though that I found 12" to be ideal if you travel a lot and take it around with you everywhere but still want to be able to type proper documents. You really shouldn't go any smaller but 12" was perfect for me. I suggest (if you haven't already) you go to a store which has the laptops (different size laptops/the one you are looking at buying) and simply check it out. Play with it a little. Even more so if the store has the same type of rules as the one I mention below where you can try the laptop for 8 days before deciding (well, you can take it back within 8 days without any reason and get your money back, and return the laptop of course [​IMG]).

As for looking around I personally made my choice by checking out everything available (at my favorite store which also happens to be rather cheap, but I would gladly pay a little more there really as the service is pretty good. 8 days without any reason return policy, 0 dead pixels, great really) within my price range and slightly above (so as not to miss on good deals just a few euros more expensive). Then decide which bests meets your needs and if you like the brand etc.. Also decide on things like processor heat/power usage etc.. Ow and one more thing to check out, return/warrenty policy and performance of the brand/store in your area (france I suppose [​IMG]). Asus for example seems to be crappy in the UK, or so I read.

Hope my (though slightly long) post helped.

P.s. The toshiba one seems okay for the size-price spec. Due to the size the price goes up rapidly. You might notice disc space is a little tight for you depending on what you will be using it for though and naturally the video card is a little slow (but as long as you are in windows it isn;t bad and it won;t make the system slower). 2 gigs of ram is also decent though (during nothing more then office+vista+firefox in which the latter takes around 100-150 megs I use 1,3 gigabyte of my 3 gigs memory).

11. Shuny

France
    Programming on a laptop with a 13-14" ... Good luck [​IMG]

There isn't a lot of laptop with a small screen under 700e but the toshiba should do it imho.

Or buy a laptop with a 17" screen then cut it with a chainsaw.
    Or use the cheatcode "Infinite Money" and buy this one : http://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00071163.html

No need to thanks me for those useful advices.

EDIT : You should try on Ebay too.

12. Shuny

France
  13. Agjsdfd

Member Agjsdfd My title

Cant find 13' or 14'.
    But it looks like 15' with quite similar hardwares are around the same price as you mentiond above.

14. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    STRICTLY under 15"? Most laptops are 15.4" and you'd probably get one cheaper at that size...

15. Shuny

France
    He doesn't want a 15'. That's the main problem [​IMG]

16. podunk1269

Member podunk1269 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    problem? check out the hp tx series , should be everything you need with a 12.1 screen

17. Shuny

France
    He doesn't want a 12.1 screen too [​IMG]

18. Costello
    OP

I've never tried a < 13.3" laptop but I guess that'd be really too small...
    as for a 15"4, I already have one and that's the reason I want a smaller one.

Thanks for your advice, so far I'm sticking to the toshiba one (mentionned in 1st post)

19. notnarb

Member notnarb Not narbing it up

Have you considered an MSI Wind? A 10.1" screen (wow, are European screen sizes really in inches?) is probably much more bearable then a 7" and it has a full size keyboard. From where I sit at my desktop, a 10 inch screen on my lap is a bit larger then my 17" monitor, but then again I am fine with my EEE700, so I guess it's a matter of personal preferance

20. DarkRey

Member DarkRey still transfoooorming.... with sum lags!

Croatia