Hardware Getting a new Hdd

dragonblood9999

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've been wanting to get a 3TB HDD for a while now, so i was on Newegg.ca site today and i saw this one and was wondering if this would be good for as a second hdd for my pc.
i will be using it for my games(steam), anime and video capturing(from ps3 and wii) or should i spend a little more and buy this 4TB Seagate or get a usb 3.0 HDD?

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The price is fantastic for the space, but I would recommend a different drive.

In my opinion way too many complaints of DOA drives and drive dying after a few months.

I know they cost a bit more but they have better reviews if you get Western Digital or Seagate. (I myself would pick a WD drive as I have had a lot of good luck with them.)

$10 more but has cheaper shipping.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136926

*Shopping pro tip for Newegg, make sure you check out the stuff that has free shipping. Sometimes the difference in cost is made up on the shipping allowing you to get a better item for the same price.

Reactions: dragonblood9999

dragonblood9999

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The price is fantastic for the space, but I would recommend a different drive.

In my opinion way too many complaints of DOA drives and drive dying after a few months.

I know they cost a bit more but they have better reviews if you get Western Digital or Seagate. (I myself would pick a WD drive as I have had a lot of good luck with them.)

$10 more but has cheaper shipping.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136926

*Shopping pro tip for Newegg, make sure you check out the stuff that has free shipping. Sometimes the difference in cost is made up on the shipping allowing you to get a better item for the same price.

thanks, i did not even see it on the site i will definitely get it.

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The WD30EURS (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136926) is a SATA2 drive and looks to use some kind of variable spindle speed (as opposed to straight 7200RPM). It's designed for security systems/home theatre systems that are constantly reading/writing slowly to the drive, not for performance.

For gaming you'd be better off with the 7200RPM toshiba you linked to, or a WD black if you want to spend more.

For ID tech 5 games (rage, the new wolfenstein) you really want to run them from a SSD or Raptor, due to texture streaming issues with the megatexture tech.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
For gaming, the sweetspot for price to performance is in the 2TB drives. You can get WD Caviar Black drives up to 4TB, but you pay a large premium for the continued performance. Generally, if you need the larger drives, you're better off getting a "green" drive which will be slower (bad for games) but have much better reliability and costs far less.

For nearly the same price you're paying for a WD Black 3TB ($210), you can get a 1TB WD Black ($82) and a 3TB WD Green or SeaGate (SeaGate has more performance but lower reliability at nearly the same price).

By the same logic, you can get a 250GB SSD for $120-140 which is enough for the OS, applications and a bunch of games, and then get a 2TB drive with the leftover cash or spend a little more for a 3TB drive for all your videos. I've always advised people to get a fast primary drive and a slow Eco secondary drive for storage.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
I'll just chip in that if you're worried about drives dying, go with WD. WD drives cost more than Seagate but are given a 5 year warranty from WD (Probably a few years from place of purchase as well)

Reactions: Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks, i did not even see it on the site i will definitely get it.

I only recommended that drive since you said it's a secondary drive to the PC, if it was a main drive for OS and games I would probably say to spend a little more yet again.

Other posters may have missed that part of your original post.

If I was going nuts recommending drives... I would say get 2 SSD's one could be really small and fast as you would just be putting your swap file on it, the other would need to be larger for the OS and your games, then I would tell you to buy a NAS box with 4 drive bays each packed with 4TB drives to store everything you ever touch... Might run you a thousand bucks but yeah since we have tons of imaginary cash why not :) lol

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
It depends on what you need the drive for. External drives have a much higher failure rate than internal drives, due to their variable operating environment. External drives tend to get moved more often, have inadequate ventilation, are susceptible to vibration, and have a less stable power supply (not to mention that removing the USB without safely removing can cause corruption and sometimes physical damage if it was in the middle of a write operation).
External drives are also slightly more expensive than internal drives.

On the plus side, external drives are portable, and 2.5" external drives can run purely off USB BUS power (3.5" drives need power from the wall).

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It depends on what you need the drive for. External drives have a much higher failure rate than internal drives, due to their variable operating environment. External drives tend to get moved more often, have inadequate ventilation, are susceptible to vibration, and have a less stable power supply (not to mention that removing the USB without safely removing can cause corruption and sometimes physical damage if it was in the middle of a write operation).
External drives are also slightly more expensive than internal drives.

On the plus side, external drives are portable, and 2.5" external drives can run purely off USB BUS power (3.5" drives need power from the wall).

Do they still also stick the "might have otherwise failed quality control" grade drives in them too?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Do they still also stick the "might have otherwise failed quality control" grade drives in them too?

I've only noticed that with Maxtor drives. I've seen Samsungs using special model HDDs in their enclosures, WD with any random model inside, and more dead Seagate drives than I can count (that said, I don't know how to differentiate their models), and one dead Hitachi in a random enclosure, but nothing that indicates any different QC process than regular internal drives.

Even so, it's rare for me to dismantle an enclosure unless there's a fault with it, which may be why I've never seen a Toshiba come out of an external drive. Even then, about 1 in 5 drives I take out actually still work when I plug it in my PC for testing (maintaining that I've never seen a fully dead Samsung).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after. It's just easier to do it auto online before, instead manual offline after.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a chocolate candy bar floating in the water, don't eat it!
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:ohnoes: Y didn't U Tell ME that ALSO? @BigOnYa :ohnoes: 🤢🤮
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Does it taste like... chicken?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I wanted to ask you about your experience with seeing south park. Most of the people a bit younger like my younger brother and cousins that are a few younger than me that saw kids found south park funny because of the curse words, kids at school, that seemed like liking the show on a very basic level.

I could not quite have a in depth discussion of the show.

How was it for you? As an adult. What did you find the most interesting part about it. Did you relate to the parents of the kids and their situations. Was it satires, the commentary on society. The references on celebrities' and pop culture.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember seeing the very first episode back in the day, and have watched every episode since. I used to set my VCR to record them even, shows how long ago.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just like any comedies really, and cartoons have always been a favorite of mine. Family guy, American Dad, Futurama, Cleveland Show, Simpsons - I like them all.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    South Park is great cause they always touch on relavent issues going on today, and make something funny out of it.
    +3
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa were you always up to date on the current events and issues of the time or were there issues that you first found out thru south park
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Most of the time yea I knew, I watch and read the news regularly, but sometimes the Hollywood BS stuff, like concerning actors slip by me. I don't follow most Hollywood BS (example: the Kardasians)
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa there were relevant issues before south park was made, that's why i think a south park prequel/spinoff would be great. Randy and his friends in their child hood
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, like them running in high school together, getting into stuff, and how they got hitched and had kids. And how the town of South Park was back then compared to now. That would be cool to see.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @salazarcosplay if they made a prequel, it would still be about current issues, cause it doesn't make sense to make it about stuff that happened 30 years ago that nobody cares about anymore
    it's too late
    the older south park episodes about particular issues usually age poorly since the topic is no longer relevant
    an exception is giant douche vs turd sandwich, that's always relevant :P
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was gone for like an hour and none of you thought to write or call pos
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We knew you were going to Sonic to get lunch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sonics fast I would've been home in 10 mins
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Meet and greet with AncientBoi then?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That would've gone slow he's old
    +1
    S @ salazarcosplay: @AncientBoi :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: are you there