Getting a new flash card, which should I get (coming from ak)

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by MandL, Feb 20, 2011.

1. MandL
    OP

Newcomer MandL Advanced Member

United States
    Hello everybody.
    My acekard broke a long time ago (a couple month ago) and I haven't felt like getting a new flash card till now.
    since I haven't been keeping up with development for a long time I'm not sure what I should get.
    I know R4 ceased updates, but now my friend has this "R4 Wood" firmware that makes it pretty much like the acekard (but for less $). I don't want to go to expensive, so these are the options that I'm looking at right now:
    R4 SDHC
    AceKard 2.1 (looks like I'mg getting another Acekard so far)
    N5
    DSTT
    Supercard Dsone
    Edge
    M3

Anything I should cross of right away? I'd rather not go for the more expensive ones like the m3 since it looks like the NDS might just die off with the coming of the 3DS (Unless I'm right in assuming that it probably won't do so well) but if it's really worth it then maybe.
    basically I'm looking for a dependable card that I can assume will continue to have firmware updates whenever they are needed for new games. I really hate holding around more than 1 cartridge at a time when a flashcard can hold them all.
    and also: my Acekard was never able to connect to my wii, but when I tried my physical pokemon diamond game it worked, so I assume that it's because of the flashcard. are there any flashcards that work when trying to connect to the wii?

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Cross off the SDHC. Wood is only for the ORIGINAL R4 and a select clone or two, which is NOT the SDHC. If you want SDHC support with Wood, get an R4i Gold, and make sure it's one that supports Wood.

Cross off the N5, it's so dead people keep forgetting it exists.

Cross off the DSTT, it's ancient.

The M3 is... falling from favor lately.

The acekard has Wii connectivty, I don't know why yours wouldn't connect.

3. Etalon

Member Etalon Former Akaio Fanboy

Morocco
    Get another Acekard.

From all of these cards, Acekard the best - with Akaio. There is no doubt about that.

We could discuss if DS2 or Akaio is better for your personal interests. But out of these cards, Acekard is 100% the best.

4. MandL
    OP

United States
    Thanks,
    It looks like I'm going for another Acekard. I had mine month ago (in the summer time) so it must be a newer feature for it to connect to wii successfully. this is all great to know. I didn't think acekard would stay ontop for this long

and @Etalon if it's not on the list it doesn't mean it's out of the question. that list came from a quick look at leetmod.com. If theres something else worth looking at then I feel I should check it out.

5. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    There's actually some pretty cool flash carts out now, for example the Supercard DStwo has an onboard CPU so it can emulate SNES games better, and emulate GBA games from slot-1, and play some extra video types and shit. There's also the Cyclo iEvolution which is the first cart to run DSi games properly (and can run homebrew in DSi mode), but those two are expensive.

If you're just going to play games I recommend the Acekard as well. Take note that the 2.1 won't work on a DSi/XL, you'll need the 2i for that.

6. MandL
    OP

United States
    Thanks for the info.
    I have now ordered an acekard [​IMG]

7. shooey

Newcomer shooey Newbie

United Kingdom
    I just ordered the iEDGE from Xpertron. I'll let you know what its like... when I get it.

8. haddad

Member haddad GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    Ehh.... iEdge is not that bad, but you should have bought a Acekard 2i

9. rody2k6

Member rody2k6 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I was going to make a topic - but this one helped me alot.

I only use my DS - well to play DS games nothing else.

so Acekard 2i - is the way to go.