GCN Getting a gamecube to load backups?

BenRK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been able to easily get my Wii to read Gamecube backups from disk. I'm wondering if it's possible to do the same with the Gamecube? Possibly from an SD card or something. I have a gamecube that my sister would like to mod cause she, along with me, hates switching disks.

If anyone can point me to a guide or something? Also tell me how much physical modding I have to do? I'd rather it all be software if I can help it, like soft modding a Wii.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
I second this. The Wii belongs to the 'family' and therefore I'm not allowed to mod it, but there's not a damn thing stopping me hacking the Gamecube. So I can finally get round to playing some of the rare games I never got my mitts on. And replay Tales of Symphonia. The only obstacle is that I don't have a freakin' clue where to start.

BenRK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was hoping to buy as few things as possible, such as that memory card thing that uses SD cards, but if I have to get an action replay or something, so be it.

Any guides I can follow?

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I found this guide awhile back when I too, was curious:
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/292668

It isn't perfect, but I believe it does list product alternatives in it other than the one it recommends up top due to the main product that was used being discontinued and hard to find.

It is hard to find one that is totally reliable for 2011, as products are discontinued a lot, especially once they are found to be easily used for an exploit that will lead to nothing but piracy. I remember finding another guide somewhere for the GC that used a still in production SD launcher that was made for homebrew, but was easily modified to run back ups and like also.

Be warned though, like in the guide, it is usually recommended that the laser in the GC be lowered a little bit, as to prolong the life of the laser while performing the harsh task of reading a back up. That does require getting into the GC, but isn't totally necessary.

paul1991returns

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Getting an unmodified GC to play pirate games is hard.
It has a sensitive laser and tight security.

Soldering a XenoGC to the DVD drive, then using an SD gecko to launch games via a DVD with swiss burned to it is going to be the cheapest. About 10-20USD

Buying a Qoob or ViperGC is going to be the most expensive, but most feature rich as well. This will be 30-40USD

Without a chip, you will have to buy an old(1.08 or earlier) AR disc. That is going to set you back about 40-80USD.

If you have loads of money, go with AR. If you have time, buy a Xeno and pay somebody to install it for you.

BenRK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any solderless modchips or is that a requirement. I'd rather go with at cheap as possible to be honest.

And will the XenoGC be able to play homebrew as well?

benson733

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
BenRK said:
Is there any solderless modchips or is that a requirement. I'd rather go with at cheap as possible to be honest.

And will the XenoGC be able to play homebrew as well?

Xeno GC 2.0 soldered in would be your best bet and cheapest method.

Tools required:

Xeno GC 2.0 $10-20USD
Soldering iron $10-15USD
Flux $2-5
Wire Free if taken from an old cable. (not needed as you can do direct/surface mount soldering).

Or just get the SD media launcher if you can find one. Its really annoying as you have to hotswap all the time to load a game.

You could then play backups from a mini dvd or keep the cover off and play it on a full sized dvd.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, thats why patches exist
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds games are best played on a DS emulation is fine but having actual hardware is better obviously
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or N3ds/2Ds
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, or most "gimmicky" consoles
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah the dual screen makes them better because that's how they were developed for
    +1
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Wii U is also great.
    For DS games.
    Also, 3DS games through NTR streaming on Wii U.
    It's very cool.
    Even playable.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can have main game on big screen and touch lay out on wiiu tablet I can see that
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @HiradeGirl, I have a broken o3ds xl
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Phones worked great for DS emulation with DraStic and a controller that held your phone
    But sadly that's coming to an end
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, atleast I think the latest version's apk is archived somewhere
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah it works great but it's the obvious Ds factor you loose from it it's not like playing atari games on atari because Nintendo actually use to give a reason to buy their hardware
    +1
    Honestly Ken I actually have the hardware and it's hacked and works fine, prefer my phone lol
    Microphone is more sensitive, DraStic has a high res mode, screen is way better just overall a better experience
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I just like game consoles how they were intended to play if they have a unique enough reason to buy them anything else yeah just download emulation for it
    Oh and touch screen infinity better lol
    @Xdqwerty It's still on Play Store.
    for free
    Install before they remove it.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd like to see a DS emulator that allows casting top screen to TV then use bottom for the touch screen stuff
    I used a vertical touch 22" monitor for playing some 3DS games through Citra.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: I used a vertical touch 22" monitor for playing some 3DS games through Citra.