Getting a 360 for Christmas

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by Forstride, Dec 8, 2008.

Dec 8, 2008

Getting a 360 for Christmas by Forstride at 1:31 AM (1,572 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. Forstride
    OP

Member Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

United States
    So, my mom asked me what I wanted for Christmas, and the first thing that came out of my mouth was "A 360!" Anyways, she said okay, but it would be the only thing I get (Along with 2 games, an extra wireless controller, and a gold 1 year live subscription). I have a few questions about buying it.

1.) What size hard drive would be good to get? I plan on getting a few games with extra money, and some XBLA games after Christmas (Around 1 - 3 games, and 2 - 4 XBLA games).
    2.) Where should my mom buy it? At Wal*Mart, there are quite a few bundles...
    3.) From #2, which bundle would be the best to get (Hopefully under $350)?
    4.) Is this a good bundle?: 360 GH3/GHWT Bundle
    5.) Can Xbox 360 Arcade systems have a hard drive attached (Sorry, I don't know that much about 360's, as I don't have one of course)?

Thanks for answering these if you do.

2. nin10do

Member nin10do GBAtemp Fan

Taiwan
    dunno if its still available where you live but i recommend the 20gig or 30gig version.
    i doubt you'll need more space than that.

3. Forstride
    OP

United States
    Yeah, I just saw that. I'll probably just ask her to get this bundle, since it's in stock at my local Wal*Mart. She also said that she'll get the 20 GB hard drive.

4. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    1.) 30 GB should be fine if you dont want to install your retail games on the HD
    2.) Bundles are usually a ripoff, unless you get to choose your games. I would say it doesnt matter, but definitely get one new. you dont want a banned 360.
    3.) Might as well choose your own games instead of a bundle
    4.) Depends on the price.
    5.) Yes, they can be atached, but they are sold seperately. if you want a hard drive, you might want to get the Pro version, its a better deal, as the hard drive will cost you some money.

5. michaelf

Newcomer michaelf Advanced Member

United States
    1.) Now that you can install games to the hard drive (with surprising results) and if you're interested in XBLA games, I'd recommend the 60. My roommate's 20 is constantly full.
    2-3.) Go where there's a deal that interests you. I'm sure there's no shortage this time of year. It's hard to say what's the "best" since I have no idea what your interests are.
    4.) That is a very interesting collection of items. The Guitar Hero factor alone makes that a pretty good deal.
    5.) Not only can you attach a hard drive to the arcade, but Microsoft is offering referbished 20's along with 3 months of live for $30 for a limited time here.

Enjoy.

6. Forstride
    OP

United States
    Ok...My mom said she'd try to see if they had the GH3/GHWT bundles in stock anywhere, and if not, then she'd just get the $200 Arcade bundle and a hard drive.

7. PettingZoo

Member PettingZoo yesss

Australia
    Im also getting a 360 for xmas, what is the difference between a core, an arcade, a pro and an elite. The only things I really know is that the elite is black and has 120gb hard drive.

EDIT: Nevermind Xbox.com has all the answers

8. nin10do

Member nin10do GBAtemp Fan

Taiwan
    i have a 60gig one. i paid a whopping 500 bucks for it.
    it came premodded and i can get a new one if it gets banned or breaks down.

9. PettingZoo

Member PettingZoo yesss

Australia
    Hmm I might be going for an elite due to the 120gb hard drive and the 3 core processors.

10. Translucentbill

Member Translucentbill GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Well if you were looking to buy the hard drive separately i would recommend one of these three choices....

Choice 1: Refurbished 20 gb hard drive $59.99 http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDet...roduct_id=42322
    Choice 2: Brand new 60gb hard drive "Includes 60GB Hard Drive, 3 month card, Headset, Ethernet Cable" $99.99 http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDet...roduct_id=72747
    Choice 3:Brand new 120GB Hard drive $149.99 (if you're going to be getting a lot of XBLA games and burning games to your hard drive, this would be the one for you) http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDet...roduct_id=65035

Ooh, and if you play it a lot i would recommend a cooler, i have one and it works great!
    although not one of these http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDet...roduct_id=42729 i hear they can overwork and overheat your system.
    I have one of these http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Fan-Stand/d...392&sr=8-14 and it works great.

Any other questions you have i would be glad to answer.

EDIT: Or there is a GH3/GHWT PRO Bundle from walmart.com that is in stock http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?...uct_id=10746115 for $359.00 Which is about what you would be paying buying the hard drive separately.

Description from walmart.com

"Includes:

* Xbox 360 Pro console with 60GB harddrive
    * Wireless Gibson Les Paul guitar controller
    * Guitar Hero III Legends of Rock game
    * Guitar Hero World Tour game
    * LEGO Indiana Jones game
    * Kung Fu Panda game

Xbox 360 Premium System Includes:

* Xbox 360 Console
    * Hard Drive (60 GB)
    * Wireless Controller
    * 2 bonus games (LEGO Indiana Jones & Kung Fu Panda)
    * Headset
    * Ethernet Connectivity Cable
    * Component HD-AV Cable
    * Xbox Live Silver membership
    * Xbox Live Gold 30-day trial"

If you are looking to buy that i would advise buying it quickly, bundles like that dont seem to last long.

11. Prime

Member Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    There is no such thing as a 30GB version.

There is only 20GB (which is getting replaced with the 60), 60GB and 120GB.

12. Forstride
    OP

United States
    Ok...I figured it all out:

1 x Xbox 360 Arcade Bundle w/ 5 arcade games and Sega Superstars Tennis = $200 + Tax
    1 x Xbox LIVE 12 Month Messenger Gold Pack w/ Project Gotham Racing 4 = $70 + Tax
    1 x Call of Duty: World at War = $60
    1 x Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts = $20 (Toys R Us offer (Buy 1 game over $29.99 get 1 $20 off, my one game is COD:WAW))
    1 x Used 20 GB Hard Drive = $60

Total = $410 + Tax

Thank God my mom agreed to this all... [​IMG]

13. haringtonl

Member haringtonl GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Here you can get a 20 gb hard drive plus 3 months gold for 19.99 OR a 512 mb memory thing for FREE!!

http://www.xboxstorageupgrade.com/hh/web/h...?ssLocale=en_US

Here it talks about it

The New Xbox Experience requires at least 128 MB of storage. That means that some Xbox 360 owners won't meet the minimum requirements to download the new user interface when it launches on November 19, 2008. As a result, Microsoft is offering storage solutions.

If you own an Xbox 360 Core with less then 128MB of storage, you are eligible for either a FREE 512MB memory card or a refurbished 20GB HDD for $19.99; and if you own an Xbox 360 Arcade with less then 128MB of storage it appears, you may be eligible for a refurbished 20GB HDD + 3 months of Xbox Live for $29.99.

If you meet the criteria above, just go here and enter your system's serial number and ID.

Plus, I advise buying your gold xbox live at Amazon. 13 months for only 38.99!

14. gk.7

Member gk.7 GBAtemp Regular

Mexico
    id say just go w/the 60 just because you never know if you may need it on the future [​IMG]

By the way.... you may wanna check this offer from Dell...

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/08/14/de...bundle-for-349/

Edit: that was old news... but my boss just told me today he just got one form them for that price. (or less)

15. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    they all have the same cpu

16. Forstride
    OP

United States
    Well, my mom just called, and said that she'd rather just buy the Pro bundle for me...It comes with a 60 GB hard drive, right?

17. Prime

Member Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Yeah the pro comes with a 60GB Hard Drive

18. Santee

Member Santee Jalapeño

United States
    And 2 free games Lego Indiana Jones and kung fu panda and a hybrid componet/composite audio and video cables (HD/SD)

19. Cortador

Member Cortador GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Don't forget to get Xbox Live. [​IMG]