Hacking Get the most battery life for your ds, heres how

gunns

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, this might be common sense to some people, but it might open up a few peoples eyes,

anyways, heres a few tips

1. The first time you get a ds, charge it until its full, and then play the ds until the battery goes dead flat before recharging,
do this 2-3 times at least. This warms the battery up and basically allows it to get the most amount of charge for the battery.

2. Once your ds is fully charged, immediately turn the ac adapter off at the wall, dont leave it turned on,
even though your ds light will turn itself off once the battery is charged, it is not recommended to leave the ac adapter attached
to the ds if it is turned on when fully charged, i.e I wouldnt charge it over night, as it only takes 3 hours to charge, when youll be having the
battery and ac port connection for 3 hours for no reason.

3. Dont insert the Rumble pack in the ds that came with your m3 real sakura, it sucks the battery dry, unless you use the rumble pack with your game,
its absolutely pointless.

4. I dont know if this works, but I use headphones/earphones instead of the ds speaker when I can , and im sure it would help in battery life consumption.

5. I turn the screens brightness to level 1 , and I hardly leave the Ds lite on idle ( i.e when the ds is on, but the screen is shut down) if possible..

6. Dont spend to long looking for wifi friends/challengers, give up after a minute or so, and try again later, dont spend over a few minutes, because wifi sucks the battery dry...

These are my tips feel free to add, in my opinion you should save quiet a bit of battery doing this, and the less time spent charging the battery for your ds,
the more use youll get out of your battery in the long run, because each time you charge your battery it looses power ...

cheers, feel free to add
yaynds.gif

Devil May Cry

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would the RAM pack that came with the Browser drain the battery life when not in use? I have it in instead of the dust cover just so I don't have to constantly swap.

Cheater388

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what you're telling me is that any accessory sucks the battery dry, but the GBA expansion pack is more useful.

ackers

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I really NEED to get a battery replacement. Can anyone recommend me a new one? I get only about 5hrs of play on brightness lvl 1 now.
frown.gif

I have a question: do you recommend using Morning Timer or the built-in DS alarm? I worry that putting my DS in sleep mode uses more power for homebrew and it's a pain to wake up and find my DS has powered out during the night before my alarm gets the chance to go off.

RebelX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ackers said:
I really NEED to get a battery replacement. Can anyone recommend me a new one? I get only about 5hrs of play on brightness lvl 1 now.
frown.gif

I have a question: do you recommend using Morning Timer or the built-in DS alarm? I worry that putting my DS in sleep mode uses more power for homebrew and it's a pain to wake up and find my DS has powered out during the night before my alarm gets the chance to go off.
This one I found with about 5 minutes of researching:

http://www.oknewshop.com/products/37v-2000...ml?currency=USD

That's a 2000mAh battery, that's twice the capacity of the original DS Lite battery which is only 1000mAh! And don't mind the fact it comes with a Pink battery door cover, I hope you still have the original cover...

Hmm... I just might get one myself...

TheWingless

Wafuu~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
RebelX said:

That's a 2000mAh battery, that's twice the capacity of the original DS Lite battery which is only 1000mAh!

That one looks like one you could buy on DX from the images from the packages. The battery replacements are usually not the same mAh as stated on the page which have posts on DX, unless they are the real thing or someone had tested it which shows that it is correct. A lot of batteries which are usually from 3rd parties in China are like this.

RebelX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TheWingless said:
RebelX said:

That's a 2000mAh battery, that's twice the capacity of the original DS Lite battery which is only 1000mAh!

That one looks like one you could buy on DX from the images from the packages. The battery replacements are usually not the same mAh as stated on the page which have posts on DX, unless they are the real thing or someone had tested it which shows that it is correct. A lot of batteries which are usually from 3rd parties in China are like this.
How about this one:

It's from buy.com, they are pretty reputable, aren't they?

triple-sevenz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so i should charge my new ds to full although it has some power left (step 1)? i just bought a ds and all i did was register my name and info. should i use all the power first or charge first?

AXYPB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would be careful with those aftermarket rechargeable batteries, especially those without a brand name or those that come from China. Some of them have been known to heat up a lot more than normal and in rare cases even rupture or explode.

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
With the DS's (and every other chargable battery system out there) there is a shut off circut... no matter how long you leave the device plugged in, it WILL NOT OVER CHARGE your batteries... so the point of "don't leave it in overnight" is mute...

As for charge, completely decharge, then repeat 2 more times, the DS battery is Li-Ion, which doesn't have the "memory" that NiMH batteries did. You can play for 5 minutes, then charge back up if you want to, it's not going to hurt it. The reason your told to charge it before you start playing is the battery is shipped with a full charge, but even just sitting in a box, it de-charges...

And, what do you say to the fact that even if your DS is off, it's still pulling power!! YUP! How do you think it retains your "info", such as Name, Date, Time, Birthdate, Fav Color, and all that... don't belive me? Pull your battery out for just a second or two... and you'll have to re enter EVERYTHING, just like getting a new DS! Now, try it with the charger plugged in... it'll keep the info...

Want the most life out of your battery? Just play your DS! When the battery startes to die (red light), charge it up. After a year, buy a new battery, preferably a Nintendo branded battery.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I just bought a higher capacity battery to offset the extra juice slot1 and slot2 cards suck up. I get roughly the same life as a standard DS battery gets playing official carts, but of course I have flashcarts instead. Works for me.

o RedSheLL x

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
test84 said:
So should I remove my SLOT-2 G6 Lite whenever I dont play GBA games?
Maybe I'm wrong but I dont think so, and ALSO, M3 Real owners, do not leave your GBAExpPack in your DS when not playing a GBA ROM, it has a battery inside so the saves don't get erased, I think that's what I heard, and please correct me if I'm wrong.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol