Get the digital cable channels with a DTV converter box?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by epicelite, Mar 25, 2009.

1. epicelite
    OP

Member epicelite Equal opportunity ass kicker.

United States
    If I got one of those DTV converter boxes can my TV get the digital cable channels? [​IMG]

2. hacker07

Banned hacker07 Banned

Antarctica
    No Just Digital Channels. Like Local.

3. epicelite
    OP

Member epicelite Equal opportunity ass kicker.

United States
    Well I mean I get cable but I do not have a cable box in my room so I only get the basic channels.

But the nice TV in our living room gets digital channels with no box cus it has some fancy stuff built in.

Fuck I dunno.

4. notnarb

Member notnarb Not narbing it up

I don't know exactly what you mean by your living room tv receiving digital channels, but I can tell you that a digital converter box will only allow you to get public access channels such as fox and abc (you get like 9) with the only benefit over your current cable box being that you would receive them in HD (worthless if you don't have an hdtv)

5. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Well, it's not completely worthless is it. I mean if someone doesn't have an HDTV when the analog cutoff date hits, they'll just get static. The DTV will allow those users who can't afford say a $300-$400 HDTV to at least have some sort of access to public networks by allowing them to keep their old setup.

6. notnarb

Member notnarb Not narbing it up

worthless for those with cable and no hdtv (the older kind, that don't already have digital tuners). I never said they were worthless

7. sirdashadow

Newcomer sirdashadow Advanced Member

United States
    No, most converters only work with OTA (off the air) signal. What you are looking for is a clear QAM tuner...

8. Strokemouth

Member Strokemouth GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Not necessarily. The digital converters will work with unencrypted broadcasts, i.e. what most people consider "basic" cable (these tend to be the same as OTA broadcasts, but not in all areas). QAM tuners do the same thing. If you want all of the digital channels, you're going to need either a set top box or cable card from your cable provider. Even TVs with built-in QAM tuners will only be able to view unencrypted channels. Digital converters will show you exactly the same thing as a TV with a built-in QAM tuner.

Check with your cable provider. They may offer a digital converter that allows you to view all digital channels.

9. dark42

Member dark42 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The TV with the "fancy things built in" probably uses a CableCard, it's like a cable box but the size of a PC Card (like used in older laptops) and it plugs into the back of some TVs so you can't see it.
    Some newer TiVos come with CableCard slots so you can just use your TiVo instead of a cable box.