Get ROMs anywhere

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by golden, Dec 4, 2007.

Dec 4, 2007

Get ROMs anywhere by golden at 2:20 AM (2,633 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. golden
    OP

Member golden What a Digital Dummy!!!

United States
    Before I ask this I would like to note that I am not encouraging this or any thing related to piracy. I am only asking out of curiosity.

Here goes, would it be possible to use a DS web browser to DL Roms from rom sites directly to your DS cart and play? I realize most of the downloads are zipped so DScompress would be necessary but when I tried this with DSO the download links were all greyed out and I couldn't get access. Is there some technical limitation that prevents this? However, 80% of DLs I try with DSO that are unrelated to ROMs still don't work for me anyway so maybe it is just me that has this problem. Would someone want to give it a shot and tell me how it goes?

2. nintendofreak

Member nintendofreak Around. Shoot me a PM.

United States
    Perhaps a file size limitation? Is it just random files, or just big files?

3. golden
    OP

United States
    I have tried downloaded very small NES roms as well but no luck their. I don't think it is because of a size limit. Perhaps how rom site work? Downloads forwarded to different servers or pop ups come up with the link? Too complicated for DS to handle?

4. golden
    OP

United States
    Is it still possible however? I am just hypothetically asking the question. Of course DLing anything from the DS will be a hassle but want to know if anyone can actually get it to work just in case for the times that I am desperate. [​IMG]

5. myuusmeow

Member myuusmeow GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Hmm...I've gotten about 30kB/s using the HBDB, and find it quite tolerable. Well maybe not on the old R4 HBDB downloading 20mB QuakeDS, but for smaller homebrew and demos, it's good enough.

6. golden
    OP

United States
    Have you tried DLing anything from the internet? Does it work for you?

7. kellyan95

Banned kellyan95 Banned

United States
    You could host a server and make your own HBDB file, or try to find a DIRECT download site on the internet

8. golden
    OP

United States
    Well I can't host a server myself lol but every direct download site I try it still doesn't let me DL. Is it a DSO technical limitation?

Right now I just want to know if anyone has been able to DL anything DIRECTLY from the DSO web browser.

9. kellyan95

Banned kellyan95 Banned

United States
    Yea, I've downloaded stuff, but sites like rapidshare or megaupload wouldn't work

10. myuusmeow

United States
    Just tried to download a NES rom, and DSOrganize ran out of RAM.

11. golden
    OP

United States
    I knew it. It is limited to very minuscule things. Maybe with a ram expansion or no?

12. myuusmeow

United States
  13. golden
    OP

United States
    Well, there goes that idea.

14. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    If you can manage to get the wifi configuration working in DSLinux, you can use its Retawq browser to download files. Highlight the link you wish to download and hit Shift+D to dump the file to your card (defaults to /linux/home directory). Hopefully there will be enough memory for this to work on a slot-1 device.

15. golden
    OP

United States
    First, I use a slot 2 device(GBAMP). Second, I could never get linux to work. It's GUI is horrible and its wifi is really hard to set up but thanks for the alternative. So it might be possible. Guess I can try it at least. [​IMG]

16. pasc

Member pasc GBATemps official GBA Freak

Germany
    Well, so far anything I downloaded with the DS using DSO has worked EXCEPT Rapishare and companions.

Big files take forever, cause my Internet sucks, but aside from this the web browser is great (aside from some sites not rendering)

17. DaMummy

Member DaMummy GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    old thread, but i download stuff off irc, works like a charm, but very slow

18. golden
    OP

United States
    IRC works. Nice. It is a big bummer that you can't DL from Rapidshard and friends. >.> But how do you download images and stuff like from google image? There is no right click so I am confused.

PS: Does anyone know if the Official Opera can DL from rapidshare or DL at all? I am guessing no since it was never meant to DL since it can't store it on an SD card but I am just asking to make sure.

19. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    No, the Opera browser won't work for Rapidshare. Nothing does as far as I know.

The only way I know to download images to my card is to use DSLinux, using the Links browser with the option to show [ IMG ] for each image on the page. Click on it, it asks you if you want to save the images, I click Yes and it saves to my card. To view it, I either have to type "links -g filename.jpg" or reboot into Moonshell. Running links in text-only or graphical form requires slot-2 RAM of some sort.

20. golden
    OP

United States
    I don't own slot 2 ram so Links is not an option.