Get ready to be moonstruck (again) this Saturday

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
fullmoon_lick_big.jpg

If you missed it last year, the super perigee moon is back for an encore performance.

On Saturday, the moon will be up to 14 percent bigger and 30 percent brighter than the other full moons of 2012, according to NASA.

That's because it will reach perigee, its closest point to Earth in its elliptical orbit, at 11:34 p.m. ET and become full just a minute later.

Super perigee moons happen about once a year on average, but the moon of March 19, 2011, was nearly 250 miles closer than this week's moon, prompting wild calamitous speculations.

When the moon is on the perigee side of its orbit, it's about 31,000 miles closer to Earth than the apogee side. The only effects expected are slightly higher tides and many beautiful photos.

The annual Eta Aquarid meteor shower, which is associated with Halley's comet, will coincide with the coming perigee moon. Its light will likely dim all but the brightest meteors.

It should be a gorgeous display if the weather cooperates. The moon will appear largest and most dazzling when it's near the horizon, as seen in this photo gallery showing last year's super moon.

So get your tripod out, figure out the best lunar exposure, and snap away!

:arrow:Source

Reactions: 2 people

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I may have actually seen this last year. I remember getting home and looking up to see this utterly massive moon in the sky. It was incredible but I wasn't able to get a good picture of it unfortunately.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
God I hope the moon blows up lol, it's already having an effect for the stock at work. I don't like having to hit the cows and shock them D:
If the moon ceased to exist, I'm pretty sure that would have percursions in the Earth.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
God I hope the moon blows up lol, it's already having an effect for the stock at work. I don't like having to hit the cows and shock them D:
If the moon ceased to exist, I'm pretty sure that would have percursions in the Earth.

Eh, who cares. This planet is going down the shitter anyways.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe that's why they were sending missiles to the moon, they want to prevent a majoras mask

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Take some, @Sonic Angel Knight Here. :grog: