Homebrew Get into Reverse Engeneering of the 3DS

FayIsNotGay

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi there !

I'm new to GbaTemp, i registred today because the 3DS hacking scene has been quite active recently. I follow this scene since the really beginning, i didn't really participate to it because of the non-activity but well it seems like it has changed :)

I got some knowledge in developping apps in html, got some knowledge too in php,c++, and a litle ASM ( from my old days writing hack for a game named MapleStory ^^ . I don't have big free time (maybe 3 Hours per Weeks ) but i do like to get solid base on Reverse engineering on the 3DS and maybe get into some project that will be opensource ( i find it better for the search, the progress in general ).

Do you have some hints to get into all this mess ?

Good Night y'all :)

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi there !

I'm new to GbaTemp, i registred today because the 3DS hacking scene has been quite active recently. I follow this scene since the really beginning, i didn't really participate to it because of the non-activity but well it seems like it has changed :)

I got some knowledge in developping apps in html, got some knowledge too in php,c++, and a litle ASM ( from my old days writing hack for a game named MapleStory ^^ . I don't have big free time (maybe 3 Hours per Weeks ) but i do like to get solid base on Reverse engineering on the 3DS and maybe get into some project that will be opensource ( i find it better for the search, the progress in general ).

Read up at 3DBrew for ideas how everything works, and for actual exploit stuff, try going through the leaked "CFW" in IDA since it's not obfuscated at all. Any reverse-engineering is really really time-consuming, though.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hi there !

Ha, that's where I learned ASM too :lol:

DarkFlare69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is this stupid advice, i don't know if you're speaking ironicaly but do you think one second i shall be spitting this with a 9.5 Upgraded 3DS :facepalm:

But Well thanks.
Stupid advice? It's logical advice. You need to study other Homebrew applications and learn C/C++ better...

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
For RE-ing you'll want to learn ARM ASM, how programs work and understand OS's. Read 3DBrew as well.

Slushie3DS

Cold Beverage Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, 3Dbrew is your best bet to learn about the internal mechanics of the device, but return-oriented programming is a lot more difficult than most front-end programming. Unless you have a strong will, a hard-modded NAND dump, and immense amounts of time, I suggest laying back and making homebrew apps.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Proxy sites, not very effective.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    if ur on a Chromebook and cant change jack about the laptop that's what I gotta use
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    One of the sites that weren't blocked on the school's network was some file uploading sites. I would upload some games, write down the URL and take it to school one day.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I did it when the teachers werent looking ofc. I even managed to take in a USB stick that wasn't allowed.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my school has a chrome extension called light speed filter agent and it legit blocks YouTube pfps since the file cdn(I think aka yt3.ggpht.com) is classed as mature
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    mhm
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    they have other stuff like goguardian too
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ours mainly relied on the router, I believe.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school network and chrome policies block stuff too
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    alot of yt to mp3 sites are blocked by light speed for "Security"
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was easy to bypass some of the restrictions, as one of the admins left a registry key in the administrative shares drive, which allowed me to get around the blocking of some sites.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    tf does tta mean
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    yeah this is chrome os
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    cant do shit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Wdym 'TTA'?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    that* as in why yt to mp3 sites are blocked for security
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Remember when YouTubetoMP3 was a thing back in the 2010s?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Until YT updated some stuffs and broke the website.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I was 2 in 2010
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Oh lol
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    This was in the Minecraft-era.
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: a