Get into Reverse Engeneering of the 3DS

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by FayIsNotGay, Feb 12, 2015.

1. FayIsNotGay
    OP

FayIsNotGay Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 12, 2015
    France
    Hi there !

I'm new to GbaTemp, i registred today because the 3DS hacking scene has been quite active recently. I follow this scene since the really beginning, i didn't really participate to it because of the non-activity but well it seems like it has changed :)

I got some knowledge in developping apps in html, got some knowledge too in php,c++, and a litle ASM ( from my old days writing hack for a game named MapleStory ^^ . I don't have big free time (maybe 3 Hours per Weeks ) but i do like to get solid base on Reverse engineering on the 3DS and maybe get into some project that will be opensource ( i find it better for the search, the progress in general ).

Do you have some hints to get into all this mess ?

Good Night y'all :)

2. WulfyStylez

WulfyStylez SALT/Bemani Princess

Nov 3, 2013
    United States
    Read up at 3DBrew for ideas how everything works, and for actual exploit stuff, try going through the leaked "CFW" in IDA since it's not obfuscated at all. Any reverse-engineering is really really time-consuming, though.

3. FayIsNotGay
    OP

FayIsNotGay Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 12, 2015
    France
    Ok, i shall decompile it with ARM settings though ?

4. DarkFlare69

DarkFlare69 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    Start by learning more C/C++, then learn to never upgrade your 3DS.

Margen67 likes this.
  5. FayIsNotGay
    OP

FayIsNotGay Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 12, 2015
    France

What is this stupid advice, i don't know if you're speaking ironicaly but do you think one second i shall be spitting this with a 9.5 Upgraded 3DS :facepalm:

But Well thanks.

6. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Ha, that's where I learned ASM too :lol:

7. DarkFlare69

DarkFlare69 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    Stupid advice? It's logical advice. You need to study other Homebrew applications and learn C/C++ better...

8. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    For RE-ing you'll want to learn ARM ASM, how programs work and understand OS's. Read 3DBrew as well.

9. Slushie3DS

Slushie3DS Cold Beverage Lover

Jan 9, 2015
    United States
    Yeah, 3Dbrew is your best bet to learn about the internal mechanics of the device, but return-oriented programming is a lot more difficult than most front-end programming. Unless you have a strong will, a hard-modded NAND dump, and immense amounts of time, I suggest laying back and making homebrew apps.