Gertsmann got fired

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by MaHe, Nov 30, 2007.

Nov 30, 2007

Gertsmann got fired by MaHe at 1:06 PM (1,895 Views / 0 Likes) 21 replies

1. MaHe
    OP

Member MaHe one lazy schmo

Slovenia

2. Jax

Member Jax Pip Pip Cheerioink!

Portugal
  3. phuzzz

Former Staff phuzzz Hooha!

United States
    It's been confirmed that Gertsmann has been fired, but the reasons for which have not been clarified. However, if all the rumors are true (and it's doubtful you hear this from so many sources and it not be true), you can bet Gamespot is gonna lose any sense of respect they have.

4. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    Well I can't really be taken at face value here or can I?

I've had it confirmed by 3 sources (2 who work for game media sites, and a family member who works as a producer at one of the larger game 3rd party companies) he was waxed for the exact rumor that Eidos was whoring that game in a well paid ad campaign with Gamespot. They got po'd over the 6/10 it got feeling they got screwed for their money or whatever reason. They demanded something of which probably only GS, Gerstmann and Eidos (and those related) know and aren't saying. GS took the option of canning the staffer instead of showing some integrity and telling Eidos where and how far up it they can shove it.

Game$pot basically confirmed that money is not only their guiding principle, which is fine or they wouldn't have jobs, but it's so guiding that you can buy a review and good other media coverage there for the right price. Sets a dangerous set of standards now among anyone who catches wind of this as now credibility is shot, not just in totality at G$, but at any other review site, in particular anyone with a sponsor or something to lose.

5. jumpman17

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    Wasn't Gamespot the site that upped a score for a previous game?

6. sekhu

Member sekhu moo?

United Kingdom
    well this is hardly news. I mean a guy getting fired over this review is news, the fact that reviews sites and magazines are paid off to strike up positive reviews for "exclusives" and the like is not new. The integrity of any magazine you pay for, or a website that is sponsored by advertising is bound to have a lack of moral sense in terms of being fair. It's been going on since the beginning, and it's unlikely to change. This news won't affect the vast majority who don't care the guy got fired, and will move.

7. jesterscourt

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    This is exactly why I trust a site like Metacritic over any one review, at least it averages the scores (although sometimes the way the Metacritic people come up with a score for a review that had no numerical score is a bit odd)

8. kellyan95

Banned kellyan95 Banned

United States
    According to gamerankings, super mario galaxy is better than orcarina of time...

On a side note, this is ridiculous

9. jumpman17

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    Not anymore.

10. bluebright

Member bluebright GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Yeah, i started to filter out my traffic to gamespot, though i've read the site for ages. But this sort of thing is so reminicent of today's media giants, and the exact reason there are so many 'watchdogs' out there to make sure tv, newspapers and radio aren't bought out...cash for comment etc.

11. Westside

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    Of course you can't deny the fact the Gamespot is one of THE most popular source for reviews. I bet hell of a lot of money is on the line when they fired the poor guy. I can see both side of the deal, although a little evil, I guess the CEO's of Gamespot can be felt sympathy for too, they need the cash for buying their next limo and what not. :'(

12. BoneMonkey

Banned BoneMonkey The cheese stash is a lie.

United States
    can anyone recomend a good gaming review site ?

i always use gamespot and IGN but now after all this i belive in nothing ...

13. shadowboy

Member shadowboy :D

United States
    I personally dislike him, but this is bullshit. Screw you GS, and Screw CNet while I'm at it.
    This sucks, all I can trust now is the gamefaqs user reviews...

14. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    gamespot never was credible in the first place, and I never really liked jeff to begin with.

But still, I'd be damn glad to not work for gamespot anymore, and ten years experience can help him get a better job

edit-
    gametrailers.com easily the best gaming site.

15. dakeyras

Member dakeyras GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Meh, it was only time before something like this happened. That's what happens if you have your sponsors influence what you put on your site.

16. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    Technically it still is, and morally it is too. Ocarina only holds that spot because of the low amount of reviews it has (30) that are high. SMG has well over 40 of them. Tweak the Top 10 to exclude any game under 40, Mario wins. But say you go in the other way, put it at like 1 review, Ocarina falls to 29. That site's ranking thing is shit to the core and completely screwed up.

Oh and jump...you're right Game$pot did tweak more than one score in the last year and more when a lot of bitching came down both from public or for weird 'quiet' reasons on the inside.

And sekhu...you're right, him getting canned was news, but you're wrong about the rest being Not News. While it was a well guessed and assumed fact, this dirty laundry coming out emphatically proves that corporate sponsored sites will do this, and in particular Game$pot has moved from the 'assumed' to proven fact territory. I personally am enjoying watching all the canceled subscriptions to this shitty network pile up as they deserve as much. No one should be paying for a bunch of twats you're supposed to be trusting with your cash to honestly say if something blows when you find out they're making shit up to keep the ad money giver happy. They're worthless.

17. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Weren't they the one that gave Donkey Konga a low score then suddenly upped it by one point?

Okay, it's only ONE point but in the world of review, a score of 6 means LOL IT'S CRAP while a 7 means IT'S AVERAGE AND DECENT

18. pasc

Member pasc GBATemps official GBA Freak

Germany
    yep, now it is confirmed for all time: GAMESPOT SUCKS ASS !!!

19. cupajoe

Member cupajoe Have a cup of joe!

United States
    That's pretty shocking news. Me and my friend never liked gerstman, and now that he's gone I'm not suprised.

20. Westside

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    Yeah, a lot of people hated the guy, but this was a terrible reason and timing for the poor bastard to get fired. Then again, he may find a better job.