[GER/DEU] How to make 3DS Games with Unity

Discussion in '3DS - Tutorials' started by Keksfresser, Sep 10, 2016.

?

Should I add some Demo Projects?

Poll closed Feb 16, 2018.
  1. yes

94.4%
  2. no

5.6%
  1. SjorsMaster

SjorsMaster Ayy

Aug 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Enkhuizen, North-Holland.
    Mind pushing your project to Git?
    I'll take a look at it for you.

2. XenonHatcher

XenonHatcher Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2019
    United Kingdom
    It's just a simple test involving an animated torus. It has no controls. Just the torus and a camera. I wanted to try and compile a test first before trying to make a game. I don't know how to push projects onto Git, so I've uploaded the project file.

Attached Files:

3. SjorsMaster

SjorsMaster Ayy

Aug 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    I'll take a look at it for you tomorrow.

4. SjorsMaster

SjorsMaster Ayy

Aug 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    First of all, Haven't had a lot of time to look into it yet, my appologies.

I wanna check some things with you real quick.

Noticed that your icon was empty, is this also the case on your end?

I also noticed that you were using the latest version of Unity for 3DS.
    There were some issues regarding this version of Unity, For example, it doesn't compile the banners and icons properly.

Does it only happen when you compile?

If this is the case,
    It might be that the banners/icons aren't compiling correctly.
    You can build them separately through the NW4C_TextureConverter.exe tool (available as part of the NintendoWare for CTR package).
    Alternatively you could also build your project in 5.6.6f2 and grab the CTEX file from <project_directory>\Temp\StagingArea\Banner\Model\COMMON\Textures\COMMON1.ctex.

I recommend 5.6.6f2 right now in general as it's more stable, sadly, it's missing quite a few features.

Did you also run "SetupEnvironment.wsf" (C:\Nintendo\<installation>)

Hope to hear from you soon!

5. XenonHatcher

XenonHatcher Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2019
    United Kingdom
    I've managed to solve the issue of compiling. I ran the "SetupEnvironment.wsf" file. Either that was what fixed it, or adding the 3DSBanner when initially creating the project rather than adding it in later.

It successfully compiled, but the game's on a completely black background and the torus is completely white. It also seems to be trailing as well.

6. SjorsMaster

SjorsMaster Ayy

Aug 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Please follow the 3ds' docs camera setup, don't know it from the top of my head.
    You can find a manual on developer.nintendo.com under the 3ds section, manual, and then "setting up scene". Something like that.

Pretty sure it has to do with the render distance being too far but I could be wrong at that, and I dont think it can do skyboxes well, the 3ds doesnt handle shaders, well.. at all. and that's essentially what the skybox is.

XenonHatcher likes this.
  7. XenonHatcher

XenonHatcher Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for helping me. I’ve been trying to find where that Unity documentation was for a long time. Now I’ve managed to get something running involving a full room, albeit at like 10 FPS. (The models are Switch-quality, which obviously causes that.) Still fun to mess around with.

Thank you again.

8. placebo_yue

placebo_yue Member

Newcomer
    Aug 7, 2019
    Argentina
    wait, do i need to pay anything to be able to use the nintendo 3DS thingy for unity? i develop on unity since a few years ago so if this is free i'll have my games running on 3DS pretty fast i'm super excited plz reply

9. NiHuShu

NiHuShu Member

Newcomer
    Jul 19, 2019
    Poland
    No, just go to Nintendo Developer site, register there, find instruction on the page and all needed files are on their site

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Also you can download N3DS for Unity 2.0 which works with Unity 2017.2.5f1