Georgia plans to kill Troy Davis tomorrow

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by LightyKD, Sep 20, 2011.

Sep 20, 2011
  1. LightyKD
    OP

Member LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

United States
    [​IMG]

By Jamil Smith - Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:15 PM EDT

Georgia has had its share of chances to spare Troy Davis' life. Despite persistent doubt that the death-row inmate is guilty of the crime of which he was convicted, the state has scheduled his execution four separate times. It's now slated for this Wednesday, September 21, at 7:00pm local time. (No word yet as to whether they plan to videotape it, as they did another execution earlier this year.)

His latest appeal was denied again this morning

Remainder of the article can be found here: http://maddowblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011...-davis-tomorrow

This whole story is shameful and just proves how messed up my country's legal system is.

2. Luna

Member Luna GBAtemp Fan

South Africa
    Can you tell me more about him?

3. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    Same here. Also, what crime was he convicted of?

4. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Who and what?

5. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    I second this, I'm completely lost.

6. BobTheJoeBob

Member BobTheJoeBob The most optimistic person on the temp. :)

United Kingdom
    4 posts have already said it but, more information.

7. alidsl

Member alidsl I am now a lurker

United Kingdom
    Opening the article made me find this, you lazy people [​IMG]

8. machomuu

United States
    Georgia has had its share of chances to spare Troy Davis' life. Despite persistent doubt that the death-row inmate is guilty of the crime of which he was convicted, the state has scheduled his execution four separate times. It's now slated for this Wednesday, September 21, at 7:00pm local time. (No word yet as to whether they plan to videotape it, as they did another execution earlier this year.)

His latest appeal was denied again this morning:

"Georgia's pardons board rejected clemency for Troy Davis on Tuesday, one day before his scheduled execution, despite high-profile support from figures including an ex-president and a former FBI director for the claim that he was wrongly convicted of killing a police officer in 1989...

The decision appeared to leave Davis with little chance of avoiding the execution date. Defense attorney Jason Ewart has said that the pardons board was likely Davis' last option, but he didn't rule out filing another legal appeal."

Mr. Davis' supporters are legion. Along with organizations like Amnesty International, they include: Archbishop Desmond Tutu, former FBI director William Sessions, 51 members of the US Congress, many celebrities and activists (including the Wu Tang Clan), the entire European Union and our guest last week, former President Jimmy Carter. Oh, and a man named Pope Benedict XVI. But Georgia and its Republican governor, Nathan Deal, have remained steadfast. Why?

I'm not suggesting the state should bow to the pressures of Mr. Davis' supporters, just because. This isn't about trusting his word that he's innocent. It's about trusting the evidence. What is so incredible about this case is not that the state of Georgia doesn't believe he's innocent. It is the ironclad certainty that he is guilty. Guilty, despite all of the faulty witnesses and misstatements and utter lack of forensic or DNA evidence. #TooMuchDoubt, indeed.

I'm reminded of Texas Governor Rick Perry, stating at the recent Republican presidential debate on MSNBC that, in essence, he trusts the system implicitly, and that he "hasn't struggled" with the record number of prisoners Texas has killed during his administration. Clearly, those decisions aren't weighing on Mr. Perry's conscience. But when it comes to state-sponsored killing, can we afford to let it be about conscience at all? Morals and personal conviction can be as different as fingerprints. Facts, however, should not be so elastic.

I get why the family supports the execution, I truly do. I've been in their shoes, convinced that the death of the person who murdered my loved one is somehow justice manifesting itself. But in terms of the state, justice isn't justice if it's blind to the facts -- or the doubt.[/p]
    There we go.

9. BobTheJoeBob

Member BobTheJoeBob The most optimistic person on the temp. :)

United Kingdom
    I was more looking for why he's being convicted if there's not sufficient evidence, or more about these 'faulty witnesses' claimed in the article.

EDIT: So he's being convicted even though there's little evidence to say he is the killer?

10. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    The article is bare at best. No information on who he is, and what he did. The only thing the article is focusing on is the injustice. Whether this is true or not, said article doesn't give any sort of info as to what info we want. It wouldn't surprise me though if what the article is talking about is true, but whatever. Also, I don't give a farkle as to who his supporters are.

11. Thesolcity

Member Thesolcity Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.

United States
    No clue who he is, what he did, or why Georgia is hell-bent on killing this black man. Without prior information about this "injustice" this article serves no purpose other than to inject a "racist Georgia" idea into any misinformed reader whom happens to stumble across this article. (Which is probably big news on mainstream sites. [​IMG])

12. machomuu

United States
    I feel like as a black male I should feel sorry for this man (judging from the picture)...but for some reason I don't give two flying f***s.

I mean, I'm sorry for him and all, but I think black is simply a color and that's it, it's purely skin-tight, no reason I should care simply because I'm black.

13. Vulpes Abnocto

Former Staff Vulpes Abnocto Drinks, Knows Things

United States
    While not every Georgian is racist, there is still a good portion of the populace that is. [​IMG]
    (this includes people of all races)

14. Thesolcity

United States
    Yea I figured, but my point was that this article was heavily opinionated rather than relying on facts. [​IMG]

15. LightyKD
    OP

United States
    Race issue aside, I'm just worried that Georgia is so hell bent on killing a man who could possibly be innocent. This worries me.

16. machomuu

United States
    Welcome to...the world. Almost every case and trial I can think of had a possibility of the guilty wo/man being innocent. That's how things are everywhere, and things would be much more troublesome (yet just) if we could find everyone definitively guilty.

17. alidsl

Member alidsl I am now a lurker

United Kingdom
  18. Thesolcity

United States
    This sounds like a job for....

Warning: Spoilers inside!

19. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Related, I found this quite an amazingly strong stance

http://newsone.com/nation/newsonestaff4/ja...nderson-murder/

20. LightyKD
    OP

United States