Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
George Carlin

carlin.jpg

May 12, 1937 - June 22, 2008​

Goodnight George... thanks for teaching me how to think when everybody around me was trying to teach me not to.

PuyoDead

Hey! Hey! Oh!
Trophies
Website
www.flickr.com
XP
Country
United States
I really can't think of anything else to say. So much brilliance, gone. The man had it all figured out, and decided to tell us all in the best way to handle it; by laughing at it all.

If you're not familiar with his work, do yourself a favor, and listen to/watch as much as you can. He really was (I can't believe I'm referring to him in past tense) a modern philosopher.

luisrodl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
PuyoDead said:
I really can't think of anything else to say. So much brilliance, gone. The man had it all figured out, and decided to tell us all in the best way to handle it; by laughing at it all.

If you're not familiar with his work, do yourself a favor, and listen to/watch as much as you can. He really was (I can't believe I'm referring to him in past tense) a modern philosopher.

So true what you said. Carlin was to me one of the greatest comedians I have ever seen and the fact that he made me laugh and think at the same time is an amazing feat. All of his stand up comedy shows are pure brilliance and the topics and themes it touched were awe inspiring. As PuyoDead said, he was a modern day philosopher, and he will be deeply missed.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah he was a great guy. His level of comedy is something most comedians could only dream of getting close to. One of the great things about him is he had an unbelievable talent for reciting his material for minutes on end flawlessly. It was almost poetic how he did it. He will be greatly missed.

gblock247

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
LOS ANGELES - Comedian George Carlin, a counter-culture hero famed for his routines about drugs and dirty words, died of heart failure at a Los Angeles-area hospital on Sunday, a spokesman said. He was 71.

Carlin, who had a history of heart and drug-dependency problems, died at Saint John’s Health Center in Santa Monica about 6 p.m. PDT after being admitted earlier in the afternoon for chest pains, spokesman Jeff Abraham told Reuters.

Known for his edgy, provocative material, Carlin achieved status as an anti-Establishment icon in the 1970s with stand-up bits full of drug references and a routine called “Seven Words You Can Never Say On Television.” A regulatory battle over a radio broadcast of the routine ultimately reached the U.S. Supreme Court.

In the 1978 case, Federal Communications Commission vs. Pacifica Foundation, the top U.S. court ruled that the words cited in Carlin’s routine were indecent, and that the government’s broadcast regulator could ban them from being aired at times when children might be listening.

Carlin’s comedic sensibility often came back to a central theme: humanity is doomed.

“I don’t have any beliefs or allegiances. I don’t believe in this country, I don’t believe in religion, or a god, and I don’t believe in all these man-made institutional ideas,” he told Reuters in a 2001 interview.

Carlin, who wrote several books and performed in many television comedy specials, is survived by his wife Sally Wade, and daughter Kelly Carlin McCall.

One of the best and will be dearly missed. Rest In Peace Mr. 7 Words.
frown.gif

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just caught this news through a random news mention through yahoo mail. Saw his pic as i was closing the window and though "OH! Is he going to be around here soon?" and reopened the window to check about where he'd be.

That was a very sad way to start a Monday at work. :-\

Rest in peace, Mr. Carlin. You and your work shall always be remembered.

Monkee3000

Trophies
XP
Country
He will be missed greatly. A true Philosopher King.
George saw through the crap(see The Two Commandments) of the people who try to control the masses.
R.I.P

Hope you get to heaven before the devil knows your dead.

Alerek

Trophies
Website
alerek.cjb.net
XP
Country
United States
When Will Jesus Bring The Porkchops? is easily the funniest book I own. This man was a true genius. It takes something special to make a person laugh who was born 20 years after your joke was recorded.

Joujoudoll

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
What sucks the most is he died the day before my birthday...
frown.gif
He was amazing.

Let me rephrase... He *IS* amazing... He is still amazing even tho he is not here.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: