Geohot raises the money to fight Sony

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gameandmatch said:
sigh as far as I can tell the only thing that Sony may be doing wrong is if you have cfw on your system that they can keep your system from doing anything at all, but unless my resources are wrong and it just bans you from the PSN then they have a right to do so.
Wish there was a way for people to not get ban from PSN just for using cfw for homebrew and just ban pirates and cheaters. :/

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
gameandmatch said:
sigh as far as I can tell the only thing that Sony may be doing wrong is if you have cfw on your system that they can keep your system from doing anything at all, but unless my resources are wrong and it just bans you from the PSN then they have a right to do so.
Wish there was a way for people to not get ban from PSN just for using cfw for homebrew and just ban pirates and cheaters. :/

Whatever happened to the Unique ID concept for Discs anyway?

Eckin

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
KingVamp said:
Same here, it's quite annoying that you need another console to play your legit games online if you wish to use a CFW for homebrew.

Piracy ruins everything.

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Eckin said:
KingVamp said:
Same here, it's quite annoying that you need another console to play your legit games online if you wish to use a CFW for homebrew.

Piracy ruins everything.
The best solution is waiting for it to get cheap. Well, in Brazil, you don't even have a choice at all, it'll always be expensive. =)

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
ShadowSoldier said:
Wintrale said:
Congratulations to the people who sent money to him instead of causes that actually deserve it, as well.

Congratulations to the people who bought 2 weeks worth of groceries instead of donating to the Red Cross.
Congratulations to the people who bought Christmas gifts for their kids instead of donating money to orphanages and charities.
Congratulations to the people who bought a console instead of buying clothes for needy people.
Congratulations to the people who go to school instead of using their time to work at a homeless shelter.

If he wins (which in all likely of cases he will), this is a big step forward for homebrewers. Homebrewers can make amazing apps/games, and then when someone picks up on it, that person could land a job at a development studio. There's no telling what could happen, but it's all good. Get a life.

And how the bloody hell does any of that figure into what I just said? All four of your listed "rebuttals" involve buying yourself (or someone you know) something, rather than donating to charity. Since when was that ever the same as sending money to some arrogant fuckwad in America who doesn't know or care who you are, who got himself into deep shit he can't afford to get himself out of and who needs us to bail him out? I think buying food and going to school is a lot more fucking important than supporting homebrew, don't you? Or are your priorities so fucked up that you'd let yourself or your family starve before you let someone else?

I don't give a damn if this is a "big step forward" for homebrewers. The App Store, Steam and the Android Market are perfect places for "homebrewers" to make amazing apps and games. In fact, as far as I can tell, those people are just simply called indie developers. Guess what? Indie developers land jobs at development studios. Indie developers can even make money from their creations. Indie developers get much more coverage than "homebrewers", too.

If people are actually thinking along the same lines as you, then we're all screwed. ...Comparing this crap to buying two weeks of food... I didn't know there were such idiots on the internet.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nando said:
no matter what. lawyers always come out on top.
DamonGant-stare.gif

'nuff said.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wintrale said:
ShadowSoldier said:
Wintrale said:
Congratulations to the people who sent money to him instead of causes that actually deserve it, as well.

Congratulations to the people who bought 2 weeks worth of groceries instead of donating to the Red Cross.
Congratulations to the people who bought Christmas gifts for their kids instead of donating money to orphanages and charities.
Congratulations to the people who bought a console instead of buying clothes for needy people.
Congratulations to the people who go to school instead of using their time to work at a homeless shelter.

If he wins (which in all likely of cases he will), this is a big step forward for homebrewers. Homebrewers can make amazing apps/games, and then when someone picks up on it, that person could land a job at a development studio. There's no telling what could happen, but it's all good. Get a life.

And how the bloody hell does any of that figure into what I just said? All four of your listed "rebuttals" involve buying yourself (or someone you know) something, rather than donating to charity. Since when was that ever the same as sending money to some arrogant fuckwad in America who doesn't know or care who you are, who got himself into deep shit he can't afford to get himself out of and who needs us to bail him out? I think buying food and going to school is a lot more fucking important than supporting homebrew, don't you? Or are your priorities so fucked up that you'd let yourself or your family starve before you let someone else?

I don't give a damn if this is a "big step forward" for homebrewers. The App Store, Steam and the Android Market are perfect places for "homebrewers" to make amazing apps and games. In fact, as far as I can tell, those people are just simply called indie developers. Guess what? Indie developers land jobs at development studios. Indie developers can even make money from their creations. Indie developers get much more coverage than "homebrewers", too.

If people are actually thinking along the same lines as you, then we're all screwed. ...Comparing this crap to buying two weeks of food... I didn't know there were such idiots on the internet.

*looks at flag*

OH okay. Yeah, not going to read your post.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
machomuu said:
nando said:
no matter what. lawyers always come out on top.
DamonGant-stare.gif

'nuff said.

But then Phoenix Wright won...

QUOTE(ShadowSoldier @ Feb 23 2011, 09:48 PM)
*looks at flag*

OH okay. Yeah, not going to read your post.
Wait,what?

This is like cop out or something...
Exactly, Gant's not even a lawyer.
Oh, and SPOILERS

MEGAMANTROTSKY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wintrale said:
I can't believe people actually think this is going to work. Sony is a multibillion dollar company and no amount of lawyers is ever going to be enough to win this for Geohot. All that'll happen is that Sony will release a new console and they'll make it harder to hack. Even if Geohot somehow manages to get courts to legalise hacking like they did with the iPhone, there's no way Sony is going to actually stop releasing updates to prevent it. Piracy, which is unquestionably the biggest driving force behind hacking, will be more than enough reason for Sony to never give in.

That doesn't mean that Sony shouldn't be opposed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    +1
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    +1
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    +1
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @The Real Jdbye, it's bed bath and beyond you nitwit
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @The Real Jdbye, it's bed bath and beyond you nitwit