Geohot has set a Legal Defense Fund

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xakota said:
lol at all the haters. None of you will ever be as skilled as geohot. That guy's an inspiration to me (computer science major here). And his bravery through this whole thing inspires me too. Honestly if i was in his position i'd be shitting my fucking pants, not making rap videos.
From now until the day i die, i'm never buying another sony product again. Fuck those assholes.
People like you give a bad name to the hardware hacking community.

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Sephxus said:
Maedhros said:
Fear Zoa said:
Evo.lve said:
It'll mean that we can tell multibillion dollar companies to fuck off when we play "homebrew" *COUGH*.
You do know that while one inevitably leads to the other piracy and homebrew are not the same thing....as of now one is legal and one is not
Besides geohots original firmware didn't allow backups but allowed homebrew.....they don't have to coexist

Sony has all the right in the world to stop pirates....but geohot isn't a pirate and neither are allot of the people use custom firmware....
But HE KNEW releasing the damn keys would lead to piracy. So, YEAH, he's the one to blame.
He was the fastest to release the keys. They would have gotten out eventually with the failoverflow tools.

Geohotz it not the only one being sued, you know. He is being sued for enabling homebrew tools, and failoverflow is also being sued for bringing back linux.
That's exactly why he's an huge ass, he wanted to be the first.
AFAIK, he's being sued by releasing the keys. I don't know nothing about the case with fail0verflow, but I did know they were being sued too.

M[u]ddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Urza said:
xakota said:
lol at all the haters. None of you will ever be as skilled as geohot. That guy's an inspiration to me (computer science major here). And his bravery through this whole thing inspires me too. Honestly if i was in his position i'd be shitting my fucking pants, not making rap videos.
From now until the day i die, i'm never buying another sony product again. Fuck those assholes.
Says the person, who can't put his personal grudge against a person, he probably doesn't even know personally, aside for a greater cause.

Sephxus

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I know he's an asshole, but he happens to be on the side that fights for our rights as consumers and non-corporate individuals, and everyone that is not a corporation should support him.

If he ever loses, it will be for lack of funds. Since corporations have tremendous amounts of money, they can intimidate individuals to do whatever they want.

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't get people anymore...people bitch that they want something to be hacked....then it gets hacked and then everyone bitches that it got hacked and calls the guy who did it an asshole...

Honestly people what the hell do you really want?

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
M[u said:
ddy]
Urza said:
xakota said:
Says the person, who can't put his personal grudge against a person, he probably doesn't even know personally, aside for a greater cause.
This is not a 'personal grudge' in any sense of the term.

Geohot's huge visibility makes him a representative of the hardware hacking community to the more general public. His actions reflect upon us, and he has shirked this responsibility in lieu of "fame" and stroking his own ego. His blatant disregard for any of the parties that his actions affect shows us as anti-corporate anarchists. People like xakota are the type of sheep who further validate that generalization.

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Fear Zoa said:
I don't get people anymore...people bitch that they want something to be hacked....then it gets hacked and then everyone bitches that it got hacked and calls the guy who did it an asshole...

I never said I wanted the PS3 to be hacked. I don't a practical use for it that I don't already have on my PC (and I can even connect it to a TV, if you're thinking of using this as argument). If I had a PS3, I would be buying only original games. It's not that hard.

People from fail0verflow said that he was being an ass too, from what I've read.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maedhros said:
Fear Zoa said:

I never said I wanted the PS3 to be hacked. I don't a practical use for it that I don't already have on my PC (and I can even connect it to a TV, if you're thinking of using this as argument). If I had a PS3, I would be buying only original games. It's not that hard.

People from fail0verflow said that he was being an ass too, from what I've read.
So you won't want homebrew?

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xakota said:
I'm a computer scientist major too and he is an absolute egotistical idiot to me

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
KingVamp said:
Maedhros said:
Fear Zoa said:

I wouldn't buy a PS3 for homebrew, but for the games.
I already have the best homebrews on my PC (the emulators).

And honestly, I prefer homebrews on portables.

DarkWay

tsubasa hiroge
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Maedhros said:
Fear Zoa said:
Evo.lve said:
It'll mean that we can tell multibillion dollar companies to fuck off when we play "homebrew" *COUGH*.
You do know that while one inevitably leads to the other piracy and homebrew are not the same thing....as of now one is legal and one is not
Besides geohots original firmware didn't allow backups but allowed homebrew.....they don't have to coexist

Sony has all the right in the world to stop pirates....but geohot isn't a pirate and neither are allot of the people use custom firmware....

But HE KNEW releasing the damn keys would lead to piracy. So, YEAH, he's the one to blame.

QUOTE(Maedhros @ Feb 20 2011, 05:28 AM) QUOTE(Evo.lve @ Feb 20 2011, 02:19 AM)
Doesn't matter. His CFW can't be used for piracy.

Sony dug their own fucking hole. Let them climb out by themselves.
Oh god, it's so difficult to understand that THE KEYS HE RELEASED COULD BE USED BY ANYONE TO MAKE ANY CODE RUN ON PS3, MAKING THE PIRACY POSSIBLE?

It doesn't matter if his CFW didn't allowed piracy, it doesn't matter if he don't like cheaters online... what he released for EVERYBODY make ALL OF THAT SHIT POSSIBLE.

I'm not saying CFW are a bad thing or not, I like them, I use them on my PSP and they really allow many great things, I'm just saying he's a douchebag. I don't see a reason to help him, he himself said to Sony "bring it on" on his rap, remember? Now he comes and ask for donations. I don't like people like him.

EDIT: Typos, lot's of em.

1. Did Geohot's CFW allow you to play backups? No, it did not.
2. Why did he release the Keys? Personally and from alot of what I have read, he released the keys so that the homebrew can advance on said sony products where homebrew was basically non-exsistant on such a promising platform.
3. Did piracy come around thanks to the keys being released? Yes, but that was inevitable but hey if you complain so much about piracy go work for sony or someone like that, just because others do it doesn't mean you have to.
4. The keys were eventually found by somebody, what does that tell you? well no matter how good security is somebody will ALWAYS crack iteventually given enough time, this is something that is completely unavoidable.
5. What is the best way to prevent things like this from happening? Allow homebrew on your console.
6. Why would allowing homebrew on your console help prevent situations like this? Alot of people want to test the ability of a console to the max (oh hey wouldn't it be cool if "x" console could do "this", I wonder if "x" console could run this, that would be awesome.) This would leave most hackers with not alot of hacking to do, just alot of homebrew developing, however this won't be a permnent fix because someone will eventually get bored and hack the console for piracy purposes.

In short, you are making yourself look like an asshole saying that all of this was Geohots fault when it clearly isn't. At the moment he's fighting for an actual just cause and that's our right to do as we please with our own property (within legal reasons) which this is. Look at it this way, you just bougth an expensive new toy with loads of cool features, that product is then yours to keep right? What sony is basically doing is saying, "it's yours but we forbid you to do this, this, this or this! If you do any of this with your property we'll sue you to set an example that we're in control of the consumer."

TL:DR Consumers have rights and Sony is trying to take those rights away by abusing their ToS and trying to "make up" laws to suit they're money grabbing profit making needs
happy.gif

I fully support Geohot in this case, whether I like him or not (who the fuck knows? I've never met the guy) however donations from me are a big no no, I'm a student I don't have monies.

Sephxus

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Maedhros said:
KingVamp said:
Maedhros said:
Fear Zoa said:

You're really missing the point. What if your computer manufacturer decided to not allow people run emulators on their systems? A ps3 is just like a pc. This is about consumer rights. People should visualize the global perspective, instead of focusing on geohotz' personality. Why would anyone take the side of a corporation that imposes its own rules for its own benefits regardless of what the law says, even if it involves violating existing consumer rights?

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
DarkWay said:
Maedhros said:
Fear Zoa said:
Evo.lve said:

QUOTE(Maedhros @ Feb 20 2011, 05:28 AM) QUOTE(Evo.lve @ Feb 20 2011, 02:19 AM)
Doesn't matter. His CFW can't be used for piracy.

Sony dug their own fucking hole. Let them climb out by themselves.
Oh god, it's so difficult to understand that THE KEYS HE RELEASED COULD BE USED BY ANYONE TO MAKE ANY CODE RUN ON PS3, MAKING THE PIRACY POSSIBLE?

It doesn't matter if his CFW didn't allowed piracy, it doesn't matter if he don't like cheaters online... what he released for EVERYBODY make ALL OF THAT SHIT POSSIBLE.

I'm not saying CFW are a bad thing or not, I like them, I use them on my PSP and they really allow many great things, I'm just saying he's a douchebag. I don't see a reason to help him, he himself said to Sony "bring it on" on his rap, remember? Now he comes and ask for donations. I don't like people like him.

EDIT: Typos, lot's of em.

1. Did Geohot's CFW allow you to play backups? No, it did not.
2. Why did he release the Keys? Personally and from alot of what I have read, he released the keys so that the homebrew can advance on said sony products where homebrew was basically non-exsistant on such a promising platform.
3. Did piracy come around thanks to the keys being released? Yes, but that was inevitable but hey if you complain so much about piracy go work for sony or someone like that, just because others do it doesn't mean you have to.
4. The keys were eventually found by somebody, what does that tell you? well no matter how good security is somebody will ALWAYS crack iteventually given enough time, this is something that is completely unavoidable.
5. What is the best way to prevent things like this from happening? Allow homebrew on your console.
6. Why would allowing homebrew on your console help prevent situations like this? Alot of people want to test the ability of a console to the max (oh hey wouldn't it be cool if "x" console could do "this", I wonder if "x" console could run this, that would be awesome.) This would leave most hackers with not alot of hacking to do, just alot of homebrew developing, however this won't be a permnent fix because someone will eventually get bored and hack the console for piracy purposes.

In short, you are making yourself look like an asshole saying that all of this was Geohots fault when it clearly isn't. At the moment he's fighting for an actual just cause and that's our right to do as we please with our own property (within legal reasons) which this is. Look at it this way, you just bougth an expensive new toy with loads of cool features, that product is then yours to keep right? What sony is basically doing is saying, "it's yours but we forbid you to do this, this, this or this! If you do any of this with your property we'll sue you to set an example that we're in control of the consumer."

TL:DR Consumers have rights and Sony is trying to take those rights away by abusing their ToS and trying to "make up" laws to suit they're money grabbing profit making needs
happy.gif

I fully support Geohot in this case, whether I like him or not (who the fuck knows? I've never met the guy) however donations from me are a big no no, I'm a student I don't have monies.
LOL, nice points, specially the bold ones...
rolleyes.gif

3. Did piracy come around thanks to the keys being released? Yes - I'll not argue that, there's no positive point on this, you can argue whatever you want, this was a bad consequence of the release of the keys.
4. The keys were eventually found by somebody, what does that tell you? well no matter how good security is somebody will ALWAYS crack iteventually given enough time, this is something that is completely unavoidable. - Who the hell are even trying to proove this wrong, this is about right.
5. What is the best way to prevent things like this from happening? Allow homebrew on your console. - No, it's not. Eventually, there would be people wanting to break the security for piracy, since it's profitable (just like you said on your point #6). And hacking a console is not wrong, the console is yours, you can do whatever you want if it. What's on game here is the release of the method. This is a gray area.

It's his fault releasing the keys first, he knew the consequences, he's not stupid. He bought a fight, them he's the one who'll have to fight it. Being childish is not good for him at all.

Let me just make myself clear: I don't think modifying your own console is wrong. But I think what he did IS. End of story.

@Sephxus
I'll not argue with that, it's up the the justice and the law to say if this will be right or not. I'm no lawyer.

jonesman99

GBAtemp's Official ArchAndroid
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sephxus said:
Maedhros said:
KingVamp said:
Maedhros said:
Fear Zoa said:

You're really missing the point. What if your computer manufacturer decided to not allow people run emulators on their systems? A ps3 is just like a pc. This is about consumer rights. People should visualize the global perspective, instead of focusing on geohotz' personality. Why would anyone take the side of a corporation that imposes its own rules for its own benefits regardless of what the law says, even if it involves violating existing consumer rights?
If it was a computer manufacturer, they wouldn't have any say so in this case. That would be up to the makers of the OS installed on the computers, like Microsoft, Mac(Apple), or Linux.

Sony has begun to put its foot in its mouth, while at the same time, running around trying to clean up the mess that they inevitably made. Geohot did sort of go about the whole situation wrong. But what would you guys have done if you were in his shoes?

Alex221

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xakota said:
i agree with you all the way. btw im going into science also.

DarkWay

tsubasa hiroge
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Maedhros -

You skipped point 6 and also skipped the rest of my comment on point 2, so good luck with your explanation.

Why should he keep the keys to himself? How will that help the homebrew community progress?
Safely put, it wouldn't help at all. Alot of people like and enjoy homebrew, but not everyone is capable of making it let alone finding the keys for themselves.

The only thing you seem to be listening to is what you want to hear, you skip out important parts and change things to how you want them, prime example of what Sony is doing.

Sephxus

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
@jonesman99
I can see your perspective, but the os simply happens to be there before launching applications.
If level 2 syscalls are done through linux installed on ps3, Sony would still get mad.
Not to mention the possibilities for a custom os (unlikely), Sony will still sue.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol