The N00b
OP
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Maybe jurisdiction or state laws in Cali. help Sony or something...? I wouldn't know since I'm not too keen on the subject of law.

I was wondering the same though. It seems like something of importance but it's brought up just now? What gives with that?

I'd like to see him come back seeing as how him being outside of the US doesn't make him look too good at the moment....

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nebula91 said:
Maybe jurisdiction in Cali. helps Sony or something...? I wouldn't know since I'm not too keen on the subject of law.

I was wondering the same though. It seems like something of importance but it's brought up just now? What gives with that?

I'd like to see him come back seeing as how him being outside of the US doesn't make him look too good at the moment....
It shouldn't. The fact that it could, also means the whole thing is another lopsided failure of the US court system.

Also, I don't know when this was written, but you'd think that these concerns would be voiced immediately after the 3rd neutral party figured out, "Oh hey, we can't read these drives because they've been physically tampered with." Now it just seems like, "Oh hey, these drives has been physically tampered with let's wait a few days, and make Mr. Hotz look bad.

mrgone

old man
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
my guess it's the favorable law/lawmakers in california.

it's the same in germany
most c&d letters come from the court in hamburg, as it's the most favorable to rich people and corporations (as happened with count chokolo)

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
glad i didn't give him any donations for his trip i feel sorry for any1 who did i knew it was an obvious scam from the start
laugh.gif

Nebz

The N00b
OP
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if it matters to you but it's dated March 18, 2011.

I see what you mean though. In my opinion, it seems like they just decided to pull this extra card out of their sleeve and played it when the time seems fit. For all I know they could've known Hotz was out of the country unless there's something I didn't read that can state otherwise.

Maybe he "fled" to South America or maybe he simply didn't give 3 shits and decided to go on a little vacation.... I'm just waiting to see the next part of this juicy conflict and figured I'd post this for those that are interested
tongue.gif

EDIT: It also says on the same day Hotz filed for a protective order on issues already decided, TIG seemed to have found out the components were missing (Page 28/29, btw)
unsure.gif

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
1. I haven't heard of anything forbidding him to leave the country.
2. Exactly why does Sony want to try in California? @America's fucked up legal system: Deny the request. I dare you
tpi.gif

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
When he started talking about the EULA I just laughed. There is so much bullshit in every single one of those. There's probably something in it saying you can't sell on any games you buy for the system, one saying you can't sell on the console itself. Sometimes EULAs are completely unenforceable just because they have so many clauses like this.

This guy is such a tool. Supporting Sony like this. He doesn't quite realise what this court case means. Its not just against hackers, its against consumers. If Sony win then they show they have a right to do whatever the hell they want to a console that we've purchased. They will have successfully copyrighted a NUMBER. This has huge implications if they win, not just for pirates but for people like me who enjoy homebrew games on any system.

Don't get me wrong though, if George Hotz has been acting like this he's a complete berk. You CAN'T fuck around in courts like you do on the internet George. You CAN'T act like you're the messiah. Get your fucking act together.

Edit: For proof we can go against a EULA legally. When you buy an iPod, iPhone or iPad in order to use that device at all you must agree to a EULA which says somewhere in it that you're not allowed to crack the firmware (jailbreak). But in US law it clearly states that "jailbreaking" and "rooting" are legal practices unless used for piracy. Why can't we have similar for consoles?

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Jamstruth said:
This guy is such a tool. Supporting Sony like this. He doesn't quite realise what this court case means. Its not just against hackers, its against consumers. If Sony win then they show they have a right to do whatever the hell they want to a console that we've purchased. They will have successfully copyrighted a NUMBER. This has huge implications if they win, not just for pirates but for people like me who enjoy homebrew games on any system.

Don't get me wrong though, if George Hotz has been acting like this he's a complete berk. You CAN'T fuck around in courts like you do on the internet George. You CAN'T act like you're the messiah. Get your fucking act together.
You win, Jams baby.

This case is indeed a lot bigger than most see it as; I'm getting increasingly anxious as to how this will turn out and effect consumers in the future.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Does this "TIG discovered that prior to delivery, Hotz had removed integral components from his impounded hard drives, rendering them completely non-functional." actually mean he like removed the platters? Or do they mean hard drive as in PC (like these sorts often do) and say he's taken out the graphics card to use in another PC? Oh and "When SCEA echoed TIG’s request that the components of the hard drives be delivered immediately, Hotz’s counsel responded that Hotz was in South America." It's a civil case yes? He doesn't even need to turn up to defend himself does he? I mean it wouldn't look good for him but it's not like he's skipping the country to avoid a criminal charge yes?

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cwstjdenobs said:
Does this "TIG discovered that prior to delivery, Hotz had removed integral components from his impounded hard drives, rendering them completely non-functional." actually mean he like removed the platters? Or do they mean hard drive as in PC (like these sorts often do) and say he's taken out the graphics card to use in another PC? Oh and "When SCEA echoed TIG’s request that the components of the hard drives be delivered immediately, Hotz’s counsel responded that Hotz was in South America." It's a civil case yes? He doesn't even need to turn up to defend himself does he? I mean it wouldn't look good for him but it's not like he's skipping the country to avoid a criminal charge yes?
Pretty much my thoughts in a nutshell.

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Oh relax guys, he's clearly going to Brazil for all the cocaine and to learn portugese so he can rap about Sony in a foreign language, it's not like he's done anything wrong...

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
antwill said:
Oh relax guys, he's clearly going to Brazil for all the cocaine and to learn portugese so he can rap about Sony in a foreign language, it's not like he's done anything wrong...
Yea, sure. Cocaine is made Mexico, not South America.
tongue.gif

No, he really isn't doing anything wrong. The court documents actually don't say he's violated anything. In fact, they only say that it will look bad with the court, and it will.

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Argentum Vir said:
antwill said:
Yea, sure. Cocaine is made Mexico, not South America.
tongue.gif

Are you trying to tell me you think that you can only get cocaine from Mexico?

QUOTE(Jamstruth @ Mar 23 2011, 08:15 PM)
When he started talking about the EULA I just laughed. There is so much bullshit in every single one of those. There's probably something in it saying you can't sell on any games you buy for the system
What you mean like steam's?

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just to let everyone know.

It's a civil case (i.e. one person (Sony) is suing another person (Geohot)) not a criminal case (i.e. the State of New Jersey (his home state) vs. Geohot). He doesn't even have to show up IIRC.

Also, nothing forbids him from leaving the US. For all we care, he can go into outer space during the court case and no one will mind.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
antwill said:
Jamstruth said:
When he started talking about the EULA I just laughed. There is so much bullshit in every single one of those. There's probably something in it saying you can't sell on any games you buy for the system
What you mean like steam's?

I always wondered about that. But I think if you check most licenses for media (including books, cds etc...) it's already been against them for as long as the oldest thing I have to hand (a 60's copy of a book) to sell the goods second hand and for less than the cover price in the case of books.

EDIT: Doesn't stop the big games stores from selling used games, or WH Smiths from selling books cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Can't wait for season 2